1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It keeps turning on!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by geuben, 3 Jun 2010.

1. geuben

Wise Guy

My pc keeps turning itself on if its plugged in, but then it doesn't boot properly (fans spin up differently and there's no visual output). I've stripped it down to just the MB,CPU and RAM connected to the PSU and it's still doing it?

Any ideas?

2. AMG

Mobster

as soon as you plug it in? check BIOS

sure there is something in there with ( if AC lose)

3. freddie64

Mobster

Could be a faulty power switch.

4. K1LLSW1TCH

Caporegime

Not sure if this would actually be the problem, but wake on LAN might be enabled? :)

Oh, and the fans spinning up differently and no monitor output sounds like a problem I had a few times before. My fans would all spin up to what sounded like their fastest setting and the monitor would just blink standby repeatedly. In the end I just reseated the CPU, Gfx card and RAM and it mysteriously solved the problem.

5. QlimaxUK

Soldato

turn off at mains, disconnect power switch from board, does it still switch on?
    if so, reset bios jumpers

6. frying_pan_cat

Hitman

This

and this. I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a combination of these two. I just use the reset switch to turn on now and don't bother having a reset switch as i CBA to replace the power one.

7. infernox

Mobster

try a diff socket :) or check bios

8. geuben

Wise Guy

I've taken it all apart and reseated everything, still turns on (but not properly) with only PSU plugged into the MB (no power switch connected)