Poll: Italian Grand Prix 2020, Monza - Race 8/17

Rate the 2020 Italian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
hmkcC7g.png
Monza
When was the track built?
Constructed in just 110 days in 1922, the Autodromo Nazionale Monza was the world’s third purpose-built race track, coming after Brooklands in the UK and Indianapolis in the US. Like those two tracks, the original circuit featured a daunting series of banked curves, as well as much of the ‘outfield’ section that’s still in use today.

When was its first Grand Prix?
Monza opened its doors on September 3 1922, just a week before it hosted that year’s Italian Grand Prix. It was then part of the original Formula 1 calendar in 1950, and has held the Italian Grand Prix every year bar one since.

What’s the circuit like?
Rapido! Formula 1’s fastest ever lap was set at Monza – Williams driver Juan Pablo Montoya’s 260.6km/h effort during practice for the 2004 Grand Prix – which should give you some idea of the nature of the track the locals call ‘La Pista Magica’. Cars are on full throttle for 80% of the lap, and hit their Vmax on the circuit’s 1.1km start/finish straight. From there, they roar off into the historic park section, where a series of big stops into tight chicanes give the brakes a good workout.

TV Times
Sky:
8FXaYCT.png
C4:
Quali Highlights - Sat 6.30pm
Race Highlights - Sun 6.30pm

Track Diagram & Information
pgCh7CN.png

Weather Forecast
qNouwvB.png

2019 Race Highlights
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...talian-grand-prix.1mY9sB3h75WmMuiUytsu8R.html

Practice 1
image.png

Practice 2
image.png

Practice 3
image.png

Qualifying
image.png

Race
image.png

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I’m genuinely gutted there’s no crowd for this one. Listening to the booing from the Tifosi when the team finish the race P12 and 13 would have been glorious :D

Listening to the-race podcast they’ve questioned Merc’s low drag weakness (they actually ran a higher drag than RB at Spa, not a full on minimal aero package) which could mean Max is closer and challenging for the win.

Who knows, but Renault should be quick here too :)

Soldato
I’m genuinely gutted there’s no crowd for this one. Listening to the booing from the Tifosi when the team finish the race P12 and 13 would have been glorious :D

Listening to the-race podcast they’ve questioned Merc’s low drag weakness (they actually ran a higher drag than RB at Spa, not a full on minimal aero package) which could mean Max is closer and challenging for the win.

Yep! I bet they are hugely relieved about no crowds, could have been a real horror show. Proper hide behind the sofa stuff.

Caporegime
I'm dreaming of a Renault podium!

But way this season is going, wouldn't be surprised if Renault are back down to 5th fastest. :p

Caporegime
They were some way off Max’s pace.

Dani Ric was 0.3s behind Max in Q3 but he didn't get a clean final fast lap in. Maybe he'd have been closer. In the race, he seemed well matched over the distance and finished just 3s behind. I suspect some of that was due to the long stint caused by the safety car but, still, with a bit of luck I can see Dani Ric being close enough to genuinely challenge.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Can we keep the Williams chat in the other thread? I’ve moved the posts, to avoid duplication. Ta.

Danny Ric believes the best direction for Renault is low downforce, after how they went at Spa. I’d like to see them develop toward that philosophy in future and get them back up the order. Monza should be interesting for them.

Associate

My take is that Mercedes have that much of a pace advantage that they can run higher downforce in an effort to save tyres perhaps?

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Danny Ric believes the best direction for Renault is low downforce, after how they went at Spa. I’d like to see them develop toward that philosophy in future and get them back up the order. Monza should be interesting for them.

Anyone remember when you could do such things in the alleged pinnacle of motorsport as have very obviously different track-specific wing packages?

Williams FW15C in high downforce trim:

CwpdZPd.jpg
5I21CZn.jpg

And in low downforce trim:

KCn1XKQ.jpg
5qZEbZJ.jpg

Man of Honour

It’s a real shame, but hopefully there will be spectators next year.

My take is that Mercedes have that much of a pace advantage that they can run higher downforce in an effort to save tyres perhaps?

Exactly. It means they are pretty equal on the straight, but can absolutely destroy the corners. We saw it in Spa - a respectable first sector on the straight and an absolutely blinding pace advantage in sector 2 through the corners.

Soldato
Of all the races to not have a crowd this is the one that will be the most disappointing! Still suspect the anger will keep until next seasons GP cos this isn't gonna turn around anytime soon :p to be honest think Ferrari would be better off writing off next season anyway and throwing the kitchen sink into finding a good cheat package for 2022.

Soldato
I'm really groggy this morning, but I simply can't see Mercedes being able to run a high downforce setup at Monza... There's little time to gain at Lesmo corners, Variante Ascari chicane and Curve Parabolica.

Spa is a very unique beast, with two sectors like Monza and that middle sector where downforce is king.

Plus there's the new engine mode rule, everyone will be trying to second-guess what the new engine pecking order is, especially until parc ferme rules kick in just before qualifying.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom