Poll: Italian Grand Prix 2020, Monza - Race 8/17

Rate the 2020 Italian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
I tried to argue this same point, it looks very simialr to the SC light, same (or almost same colour) and at speed on the outside of a 5g right hand turn, really? There should be a warning on the dash like SC has.

Still enjoyed Lewis fighting through while bottas, well, what did Bottas do? Not much.

There is a "Closed Pit Lane" light before that one.

2 teams got it wrong and they got a penalty.
I don't see a problem.

Soldato
There is a "Closed Pit Lane" light before that one.

2 teams got it wrong and they got a penalty.
I don't see a problem.

You would see the problem if there was an actual obstruction in the pit lane and two cars came diving in.

150mph right turn with pit entry on the right and all signage is out there on the left it's not where you would be looking.

Penalties were fair, just doesn't seem like the best set up to warn of possible danger.

Man of Honour
You would see the problem if there was an actual obstruction in the pit lane and two cars came diving in.

150mph right turn with pit entry on the right and all signage is out there on the left it's not where you would be looking.

Penalties were fair, just doesn't seem like the best set up to warn of possible danger.

Pretty much anywhere I read this is what people are saying and it makes sense. Of course moving the picnic table and rolling the car back 3 meters would have been easier. It amazes me that with all the technology in F1 they don’t broadcast this important message on the radio or wheel.

Man of Honour
Tempted to vote 10/10 just because bloody Mercedes didn't win!

But seriously it wasn't great again.

Serious LOLZ at Ferrari too!

I know what you mean. The race was different, but it was only due to a little bit of meddling by the FIA. Wouldn’t it be great if we could have more races like that without having to rely on safety cars.

Man of Honour
Wasn't it the rule a few years back (late 00's / early 10's) that the pit lane was closed immediately after a Safety Car went out? and I recall it would then open after a lap / 2 laps behind the safety car? Although I think it was scrapped as folk were running out of fuel.

With that kind of rule it would be understandable not having a better indication system (as its an understood rule); but it does seem like better in-car warning would be good given how rare it is that the pit lane is closed.

That said yesterday Hamilton and Giovinazzi were the only two drivers who made the error; the rules are the rules and so its fair they took their penalty.

Soldato

Pretty much anywhere I read this is what people are saying and it makes sense. Of course moving the picnic table and rolling the car back 3 meters would have been easier. It amazes me that with all the technology in F1 they don’t broadcast this important message on the radio or wheel.

Exactly my thoughts.

Soldato
Failing to understand the "didn't see it" excuses people are trying to justify, these are drivers who can spot a seagull just off the racing line nearly a km down the road and adjust their line, they watch the TV screens at the side of the track to see what the timing gaps are like in the midfield, they complain that HALO blocks their view of the timing tower in Barcelona 50ft up above the racing line. When you are turning right you need the flags and lights on the left as they are the first notifications which will come in to view as you come round the corner to notify you of any track hazards and will stay in your vision a lot longer than if they were placed on the right. Also the drivers were down to safety car speeds so would be nowhere near pulling 5g around the corner. Every other driver (apart from Gio) noticed or were instructed accordingly, he's accepted the blame for it.

Soldato
Double fail for Monza organisers as far as I can see.

1. Despite the orange paint on the armco at that marshalling post, the gap didn’t look to wide enough to push a current F1 car back into regardless of the picnic table.

2. Pit lane closed indicator signage looked very much like “SC” and they need a dedicated pit lane sign on the pit lane side of the track 50m before the entry road to the pit lane.

Soldato
When you are turning you are looking towards the apex and beyond so on a right hand bend you would be looking towards the right.

In this case you had something highly unusual (since refuelling was stopped the pit lane is very rarely closed) no radio communication from the FIA (and the timing screens only showed the message on the fourth page) and two flashing signs that definitely weren't obvious. Lewis was a long way ahead of 2nd so would have been travelling rather faster round the Parabolica than the later drivers, and the pit lane was actually closed 11 seconds after the SC was deployed so his team would have been straight into 'Box box'.

Caporegime
Yeh, that was a ridiculous reason for a Safety Car. Then for closing the pitlane, the fact that the pitlane was marked as closed by a red light on the outside of the track when the drivers are clearly going to be looking at the Apex and entry into the pitlane is baffling. Made for an exciting race in the end though!

Happy for Gasly to get the win, but did anyone else think to themselves how Lewis got penalised for weaving on the straights to break the tow a few years back? :p

Good recovery for Lewis all things considered, shocker for Bottas and Ferrari. What happened to Verstappen? It didn't get mentioned on the C4 coverage.

Only an issue if the car following is right on your tail, as for Gasly weaving Sainz was not even within DRS range, during the weaving, Brundle did talk about it during commentary.

Caporegime
Indeed, I have sympathy with Mercedes/Hamilton. Alfa, however? By that point every other team hadn't chanced it so it was far more obvious and they had way longer to notice.

As others have said the penalties were fitting but the system needs to be looked at. This shouldn't be easily missed like that.

Associate
Seems to me the FIA have forgotten the VSC even exists. Artificially bunching up the pack to make it seem more exciting is not the job of the FIA.
Why don’t F1 have direct comm’s from the FIA to all drivers like WEC.
Not a bad race though, pleased for Gasly, a win is a win however you get it.

Caporegime
I think it's a bit daft not having a sign on the immediate entry to pit lane, if the pit lane opens between someone passing the last sign and approaching the pit entry how are they to know in time?

Soldato
I think it's a bit daft not having a sign on the immediate entry to pit lane, if the pit lane opens between someone passing the last sign and approaching the pit entry how are they to know in time?
Presumably they wouldn't open the pit lane in such a situation until everyone had passed the entry.

Perhaps that was the reason for the safety car rather than VSC too - they might not be able to throw a VSC and have pit lane closed, just like they wouldn't close the pit lane for waved yellows.

I too was thinking it was a bit over the top for a full safety car to artificially add a bit of drama, but now that I think about it I don't think they had a choice once they decided to recover the car to the pitlane.

Man of Honour
Seems to me the FIA have forgotten the VSC even exists. Artificially bunching up the pack to make it seem more exciting is not the job of the FIA.
Why don’t F1 have direct comm’s from the FIA to all drivers like WEC.
Not a bad race though, pleased for Gasly, a win is a win however you get it.

It was a VSC at most surely, but we all know why they did it. The second incident, sure, red flag, but the second incident was probably not helped by the first safety car.

Back
Top Bottom