Poll: Italian Grand Prix 2020, Monza - Race 8/17

Rate the 2020 Italian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
Is this the MotoGP thread? Feels like :o

Anyway.. back on topic.

I was actively involved in the process safety flow for F1 pit stops (I’m in health and safety) and the fact that this has happened has underlined a flaw in the system.

Using the “this is the way it’s always been” argument is childish and naive at best. Without continual improvements we’d be stuck sending children to work and canaries down mines.

Merc and Alfa were in the wrong 100%, but if there’s a way to make the system of notifying the drivers about a pit lane closure more robust then the FIA must explore it. After all, if they ignore it and next time someone gets injured there’s precedent there which will completely screw any legal defence they have.

Exactly. I don’t see anyone saying merc and Alfa were anything but wrong, just that there is a flaw in the current system. Of course the usual suspects use this as an opportunity to defy all reason.

Soldato
Is this the MotoGP thread? Feels like :o

Anyway.. back on topic.

I was actively involved in the process safety flow for F1 pit stops (I’m in health and safety) and the fact that this has happened has underlined a flaw in the system.

Using the “this is the way it’s always been” argument is childish and naive at best. Without continual improvements we’d be stuck sending children to work and canaries down mines.

Merc and Alfa were in the wrong 100%, but if there’s a way to make the system of notifying the drivers about a pit lane closure more robust then the FIA must explore it. After all, if they ignore it and next time someone gets injured there’s precedent there which will completely screw any legal defence they have.

My thoughts exactly. It would likely constitute "guilty knowledge" should such flaws be known about and not be addressed.

Man of Honour
Didn’t realise that Hamilton already has 8 penalty points
4 more and race ban!
Further they don’t expire till the end of the season!

He’s racked up a few silly points, no doubt about that. That said, he could have a three race ban and I’m sure he’d still win. What he needs is them to expire before next season.

Soldato
He's got only 1 realistic challenger and he's a glorified test driver who can't wheel to wheel race to save his life, as long as he starts ahead of him every race job done :p

That race yesterday was just a horror show for Bottas, when people say any old mug could win in the Merc, look at Hamiltons race and look at Bottas's. If there had been another 10 laps Hamilton would probably have been right behind him after spending 30 seconds in the pits!

Associate
The fact that a.gentle driver like Lewis is close to a ban says a lot about him receiving really unjust penalties, yet i bet the like of Grosjean is whistle clean.

The fact that 2 drivers went into the pitlane tells me the safety system can be improved. Those board lights are way too small and in the wrong location.

Will be interesting to see if FIA improve the system for the future.

Associate
The race was ok as 1 off but it had a WWF feel to it and we wasn't watching a sport.
I'd probably have a different opinion if Sainz won as he was the true winner.

What's worrying they are now seriously wanting reverse grids for next season off the back of this race.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
The fact that a.gentle driver like Lewis is close to a ban says a lot about him receiving really unjust penalties, yet i bet the like of Grosjean is whistle clean.

Two things.

1) I laughed my spleen straight off its mountings at you describing Hamilton as a "gentle driver". The number of times he's clipped (and sometimes popped) the tyre of another car with one of those close overtakes that he used to be known for before he had a car that never had to overtake anyone...
2) Grosjean is indeed currently on 0 active points. He's accumulated 21 or thereabouts in his career IIRC, Hamilton maybe half as many.

Associate
Apparently Alpha Tauri developed a Text To Speech system to mitigate against this several years ago. All FIA messages are read to their Sporting Director, to ensure that any important race information is taken note of. In this GP the engineers were about to call Kvyat in to put under the SC, but that call was stopped at the last second due to this system.

Soldato
Apparently Alpha Tauri developed a Text To Speech system to mitigate against this several years ago. All FIA messages are read to their Sporting Director, to ensure that any important race information is taken note of. In this GP the engineers were about to call Kvyat in to put under the SC, but that call was stopped at the last second due to this system.

Mercedes have a similar system, but for some reason they omitted to include the pits closed warning message.

Back
Top Bottom