It's a terrible time to want to get into Flight Sim '20 (Joysticks)

Associate
The launch of FS2020 and Star Wards Squadrons this year, combined with lockdown, has decimated the entry/mid-level flight peripheral market.

I'm a PC GamePass member and have downloaded FS2020, which looks great and I really want to get into it - but it's not the same with just a controller. I have a budget of max £100.

There are no joystick available from reputable, well reviewed retailers - online or brick & mortar - anywhere at the moment. Except THIS (I think I got the last one). The cheapest Thrustmaster going. So cheap it's literally just called "USB Joystick" on the box. I settled for this to tide me over until stocks replenish or more mid-range models. However this entry-level stick was a serious disappointment. Advertised as '3 Axis', it's anything but. This joystick has no z-axis - no yaw control - even though it is labelled '3 axis'. It has pitch and roll only. A reviewer on Amazon speculates that the manufacturer counts the throttle as an 'axis', which is high dubious and misleading. It's going back.

I really want the Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X or T.16000m but there is no stock anywhere I trust. However ********** say they will have the the T.Flight and T.16000m sticks on 17 Jan. Are they a reputable site? Trustpilot gives them a 4.5.. The fact Scan are getting stock also makes me think that Currys/Amazon will get stock soon also.

I was hoping to get just the stick as I'm not too much of a sim enthusiast to want a separate throttle, however admit I have never tried that config. Can the slider on the base of the T.16000 be used as the throttle? I often see the stick and separate throttle being sold together, so I wonder if the slider is actually for trim? Could it be re-bound to act as throttle? Will it work as well as a throttle if that's not what it was designed for?

I was thinking of getting the T.16000 stick first and then getting the throttle at a later point if I feel like it would make a difference. However it looks like not many retailers will sell the throttle on its own, though it is a thing. How much would the throttle alone cost?

Appreciate any thoughts/imput from those with experience in this area.

Associate
Can’t offer anything useful, but I do agree with the comment in the thread title. I too had been looking to have a go at the new MS Flight Simulator, but haven’t found a decent sounding joystick in stock anywhere. It’s like there’s a world shortage of them!

Associate
Can the slider on the base of the T.16000 be used as the throttle?
Description of joystick says it has 4 independent axes so you should be able to assign one of those to the throttle.

Having a throttle does make things easier but I did not start with one and gradually upgraded (got a warthog now). It is certainly more cost effective to buy as a bundle.

Associate
I'm on the lookout too (for MSFS). A site had 10 T.16000ms in the other day, but went in a flash. I'm kicking myself for not buying, but thought it was a bit inflated at £139.99. Then again, probably not for such demand.

Associate
Virpil and VKB are worth keeping an eye on. Both produce high-grade pieces of kit, some of it modular, some of it not, but it's a rabbit-hole most flight simmers go down at some point.
If you're patient, the VKB Gladiator NXT will be in stock again shortly (around the 18th Jan), and they will also be launching the first of their modular components (GNX-SEM) very soon. The Gladiator NXT is sold as VKB's budget mid-tier entry; having friends who own it, they absolutely love it and wouldn't go back to Thrustmaster or Saitek ever again.

It's a fabulous time to be engaged in flight simulators! There has never been a better time for variety of products and components.

Associate
I managed to get a X56 at the tail end of last year. Really wanted to like it but the stick was too big for my hand to use comfortably so I ended up sending it back. Absolutely gutted as I was looking to upgrade from my T.Flight Hotas X. Looking at the Virpil stuff now, especially the new throttle they released last month but the prices are a bit eye watering to say the least! Plus import charges from Europe now and returns if required are really making me pause.

Soldato
Happens every time a good flight game comes out.
Elite, Star Shitizen, FS, Sqns... Each time, stocks vanish, and then they slowly bubble back up to minimal levels in between, as it's still a generally niche market.

Having a separate throttle unit makes almost no difference in these games. You can get by with a simple slider easily enough.
However, having a separate throttle unit with a shedload of extra buttons and controls makes a world of difference!!

Associate
I would definitely look for the T.16000m as I think it is the best around that price point. The small axis on the base of the stick can be used for throttle but I would recommend getting the twcs pack with the separate throttle as it makes a huge difference and also has a lot of bind able controls including paddles which can be mapped to rudder - much preferred over the twist axis on the stick. I upgraded to a VKB stick and rudders but have kept the twcs throttle for the moment.

Man of Honour
I would definitely look for the T.16000m as I think it is the best around that price point. The small axis on the base of the stick can be used for throttle but I would recommend getting the twcs pack with the separate throttle as it makes a huge difference and also has a lot of bind able controls including paddles which can be mapped to rudder - much preferred over the twist axis on the stick. I upgraded to a VKB stick and rudders but have kept the twcs throttle for the moment.

I tried the T.16000m FCS (I think that's what the throttle and stick combo is called?) and I really didn't like it vs the T-Flight. I could tell it was obviously a higher quality and better piece of kit, technically speaking, but it just didn't sit in the hand anywhere near as well. I put it down to it being a more realistic throttle and the ambidextrous nature of the joystick meaning it isn't as ergonomic for my right hand. It's a shame as there's little else in that price bracket and I would like a quality bump over the T-Flight.

Associate
Yup, the T.16000m is less sculpted to allow for the ambidextrous design. I found it comfortable all the same and very accurate. The lack of control points on the stick itself is what led me to upgrade to a VKB. I rarely used the buttons on the base and wanted more hats in easy reach.

Associate
Thanks Greebo. I ordered a Gladiator NXT for £150 earlier today, but I think that one looks like it's more suitable for a casual first-timer like myself (using it for MSFS). Better get cancelling the other one!

Associate
Thanks Greebo. I ordered a Gladiator NXT for £150 earlier today, but I think that one looks like it's more suitable for a casual first-timer like myself (with MSFS). Better get cancelling the other one!

I wouldn’t rush into cancelling the VKB. It’s a genuine step up in quality and the controls on the stick make it much more usable imho. The Thrustmaster is a good stick but if you get into the hobby then you will end upgrading soon enough- it’s just what happens. :D

Associate
Yeah, I've read that's what happens. I know what I'm like though, I'll probably ride this phase for another few weeks until boredom sets in and I sell everything :D

MSFS has certainly got me interested in genuine piloting though. Maybe my 'upgrade' will be real lessons when everything gets back to normal.

Soldato
Grabbed the Airbus Edition. Worth not Playing MS FS2020 all this time and wrongly assuming I could get a flight stick easy after purcahse of the game (waited basically since launch date to get a suitable stick)
Great sim and if you have a high end rig it's gorgeous to look at.

Associate
Got my Airbus stick today. Great for the price and makes it so much easier to fly a plane than the keyboard numpad! Got all the buttons I need for the small prop planes I mainly fly, and use it in conjunction with the mouse for the VR menu.

Soldato
@Pete.Dakota

If you're quick, the Airbus TCA is in stock at a certain retailer whose name I can't mention. But this should tick the box for you. I did post a stock alert about it on HotUKDeals, so if you do a search there, it should turn up.

I've ordered one myself. Managed to snag an X52 at the beginning of the month. When the TCA arrives, I'll compare the two, decide which I'd rather have, and then stick the other on the MM. So if you miss out, I can tag you in that MM advert. I'll be in the returns window for both items though, so asking price will be what I paid plus P&P.

Soldato
Just before Covid hit I had a T.Flight in my basket for £38 from a competitor, I ended up not bothering as it wasn't available for delivery and I couldn't be bothered to go pick it up from a local store.

Very much regretting that now.

Back
Top Bottom