1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

its been posted by me before... but what type of telescope should i be looking for...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by locutus12, 13 Apr 2006.

1. locutus12

PermaBanned

say i wanted to spend between £70 and £150 on a second hand scope and wanted something that could see saturns rings (if thats possible on that budget?) what should i go for??

last time i posted this i was going to get one but i lost the net for 2 weeks, :(

2. locutus12

PermaBanned

anyone? :confused:

3. Lt. Manlove

Wise Guy

The most expensive one you can find? :p

Not much help, but a free bump :p

4. seaviewuk

Mobster

5. Capt Doufos

Mobster

£150 would get you a new one that could see the rings.

For planentry use only, sometimes a smaller appature is better, as when you go to larger scopes you collect too much light and things are just too bright. On my 6inch Refractor I often have to put the reducer on to be able to see detail on Jupiter or Saturn.

If that is all you want to do I would get a good quality 70 or 90mm scope.

Somthing like this would do the job, although that is a 5 minute google and I am sure you could get somthing better for the money.

http://www.telescopeplanet.co.uk/ViewProdDetails.asp?prod_code=PON05H000017

or this one looks pretty good:

http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/sky_watcher/skywatcher_fs.html

Last edited: 13 Apr 2006
  6. SIB

Hitman

Wish you had posted this a few days ago before i sold my set up on "the bay" for next to nothing :(
    Anyway, as has been said a decent refractor would probably be best on your budget. Something around 90 - 120mm would be ideal.
    I had a Helios 150mm refractor which gave fantastic veiws of the sky, much better than the Meade ETX 125 i had before. The refractor doesn't use as many mirrors to bend the light and so you get a really crisp image. As a reference, my refractor was about £600 new but only sold for £200. £800 of eyepieces i had also sold for about £250 so i would certainly advise getting second hand if you can !!

7. LoadsaMoney

Caporegime

ROFL i must be having one of those days today. :p