• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

its on its way

Soldato
On the horizon from AMD is a dual-GPU version codenamed "Hemlock XT," which is essentially a pair of Radeon HD 5870 GPUs on a single PCB. Looking at our benchmark results today this is an almost frightening prospect, yet one we really want to see! The Hemlock XT is due out next month,

Associate
How do you reckon one of these would fare in my IP35 pro, or would that be asking a bit too much bandwidth from 16xPCI 1.0 ? I'd put my water cooling back in to get 4GHZ on the CPU if that would help any with the balance :D ... gonna splurge on something soon, may be one of these & a couple of 64GB SSDs!

Last edited:
Soldato
ATI Radeon HD 5870 X2 & HD 5850 X2 Images Surface

With a relatively successful launch of the HD 5870 under their belt (unless you take into account availability), ATI is gearing up for act two of the play.

The ATI Radeon HD 5870 x2 is supposedly due out sometime in October, and with the single GPU 5870 performing so well, one can only speculate at the power the dual GPU version might wield. The 5870 x2 is on track to become the best performing card on the market if it can properly scale, however one of the downfalls of the card may be its sheer size.

The HD 5870 already measures in at an unheard of 11″ long, bigger than what a lot of case manufacturer’s have budgeted for (standard spacing is 10.5″). Images obtained this morning seem to depict that the x2 version could be even bigger!

While it is difficult to get an accurate length just from pictures, with a second die , it would be nearly impossible to squeeze it into the same sized PCB as the 5870. From out basic visual calculations, the card appears to be extended by at least 1″ – 1.5″, giving it a total footprint of an estimated 12.5 inches long. Best of luck fitting this behemoth into any mid sized tower, or even a smaller full tower.

As seen in the photo’s, at least one prototype of the 5870×2 has it built with a squarish fan shroud, with plenty of venting along the far side to hopefully provide adequate cooling for the dual GPU’s. The 5850×2 seems has dual circular fans over just the chips, with no shroud as seen on the rest of the product line. We can be fairly cetain that this is not the ATI OEM spec, but rather a particular manufacturer’s unique cooling option.

The x2versions fo the card include both dual DVI, and a mini display port in between; however, they have taken out HDMI, opting instead to have the whole bottom space dedicated to venting.

UPDATE (09/25/09): Exclusive photos from Cowboy @ HWC have been submitted confirming the existence of this giant and showcasing the extreme length of the cards along with photo’s of the HD 5850 x2 with a unique duorb style cooler.
Some New Pics

Associate

Holy moly, look at that thing! It's making my heart race lol

5870x2.jpg

Associate
I think £450 is going to have to be my limit - any more and I'll just have to wait. I'm all for paying a premium to get top end gear early but paying more than £500 for a graphics card is, I feel, a little bit extreme. Then again, if they can pull a stunner and offer performance far in advance of two 5870s in Crossfire then I may be tempted... afterall, it's not like I need to eat or anything.

Associate
I think £450 is going to have to be my limit...

The way I justify this kind of thing is by calculating how long I would have to work to generate enough expandable income to pay for it. If I consider that amount of work being worth it then I buy it, I have a large threshhold for this card :p

I don't have credit cards/loans before anyone says it!

Soldato
F ****** HELL, look at the size of that C***.............:D:D:D
there's not a lot you can say is there!

i definitely want that or Nvidia's version:cool:

hang around.........that is going to be very noisy!

Last edited:
Associate
i can see dremel doing a roaring trade in the next few months on the back of this.

my 4890 has power connectors on the rear and it only just fit with a bit of flexing into my gt900. unless i can pick up a cheap 4890 to crossfire i was going to retire this one (3 wks old) into he download box and pick up an 5870x2. judging by the size of this I've got no chance unless I remove ALL the hdd bays. has anyone come across a 5 1/4 bay adapter for 3.5 drives? Lian li maybe?

Soldato
I'd buy one if I knew what to do with it. My 'ancient' 4870 1024mb still cuts through every game as if it's Tetris I'm playing. Well, apart from Crysis Uber-Settings off course. I can't justify spending £300+ on a card that will give almost no noticable improvement apart from 20fps I most likely won't notice.

Back
Top Bottom