It's too hot :(

Soldato
And…relax.

Temp in the NW was much more pleasant overnight. Sleeping with just a duvet cover, and I was too cold. I can stop looking up Aircon prices, and remember that it’s only a few nights a year I’m too hot. To be fair, we only used the fan one night last year, and a couple of times the year before. This is why I’ve never got round to getting AC fitted. (Admittedly, we’re lucky enough to live in an area where it’s quiet enough to have the windows open. If I lived a city, I’d have it).

It’s funny that the 3-4 degree drop is the difference between pleasant and uncomfortable (and why the North and Scotland don’t really need Aircon, whereas I can definitely see why it’s becoming popular with southerners).

Living in NW and my house at 30-32c indoors with fans and windows open, I would have to disagree about air con only being needed in the South.

Soldato
Well at least its cast overhead, clouds look light though so probably wont be rain.

Temps only got down to 26.2 as I shut door due to idiots hanging around close by.

Is already up to 27.9.

Predications for Leicester (be a miracle if true), for next week are 21-24, how on earth does London have predictions of 14?

Soldato
It was the hottest night yet (NW) last night - absolutely blistering even with windows open and fans on.

My kids' bedrooms are on the first floor and they both had to come and sleep downstairs as it was just unbearable

All doors and windows open today with several fans in blowing through the house. Although it's much cooler this morning that's how yesterday started off .....

Soldato
24C max today apparently. Certainly the coolest it's been all week, by a longshot. Happy days!
Ugh, wish this was us (Liverpool). It was originally looking like the weekend would be our respite but 28ºC forecast today, 26º Saturday, 24º for both Sunday and Monday.

Room I'm working in is already 25.8ºC and climbing. That's with window and blind shut. I daren't turn on the PC to game as it'll quickly become unbearable.

Soldato
It's 22C now just after 1030, but there's a pleasant easterly breeze taking the edge off the heat... I even managed to do a 6min pootle on the bike to the post box a while ago without turing into a pool of sweat! :eek::cry:

Soldato
Those who say they genuinely don't mind this heat, I'm interested to hear at what temperature you consider it 'chilly'?
You must be putting your cost on when it drops below 18 degrees :D
I've lost a couple of stone, and I'm not sure if it's just some kind of 'honeymoon' period but I'm genuinely fine in the heat - the office reached 28.2 yesterday and while not ideal conditions I didn't find it too bad.
I'm always told off for having the car A/C on too much and I walk around in shorts for 10 months of the year, maybe I'm just broken :p

Caporegime
I used to work in an office where the building is sealed and meant to be climate controlled. It was 4 storeys high office and we had 3 of them. I don't exactly know the electronic controller for the thermostat in the building but in the morning at 8am when people get in, it would read say 20-21c. You would think that's pretty nice. Well, not to some people, I don't know who exactly as it was a big company over several floors but someone will send an email to the building manager to complaint it's too cold.

Of course, they oblige and turn it up...except the people who complaint don't realise that

1 - It's 8am, it's been cool all night
2 - There is going to be 200+ people coming into the office
3 - All of them will turn their computers and lights on
4 - The sun is getting higher in the sky

Surprise Surprise when the temperature inside reaches 31c by lunch time...and the same people complaint it's too hot, of course then you can't open the window. And then they send another email to the building manager to complain about it.

It happens every single day during the summer...it's like they don't realise that if you just leave it in the morning, it will be fine!

Associate
Living in NW and my house at 30-32c indoors with fans and windows open, I would have to disagree about air con only being needed in the South.
We’ve got reasonably high ceilings, so it never got that hot (although the attic room got to 30-odd). It has been pretty exceptional, though - I think the NW is normally a few degrees cooler than the South, so I think we are more often just in the “comfortable” zone.

I’m trying to think when we last had a really hot spell. We had a really good weather in spring/summer 2018, but the temperatures weren’t that high and humidity was low. I don’t think we needed a fan at all that year.

I guess the thing with aircon is that you would use it even when you didn’t “need” it, but I’m still not convinced it would get a lot of use where we are (Manchester).

Associate
I have been melting and yet my cat (in fur coat) can't get warm enough and insists on sitting on my lap when I am working.... so the room is at 30C but my gonads are probably around 40C and crisping under the added heat. Cat is happy though

Soldato
Outside its unbearable real stale air.

Probably will be cooler than yesterday as its cloudy, but its definitely not pre heatwave weather. Still clearly in the hot weather pattern here.

Soldato
Met Office have just released a weather warning for strong winds on the south coast from 1500, but here the gusts are still forecast to only reach 25mph...

Which is a good 10+ below normal wind warnings.

Associate
how on earth does London have predictions of 14?

Think you might be looking at the night temps, 20-23 next for London.

Definitely a cooler breeze around last night, this morning, last day of the heatwave then today. Think the worst of it is over... for now! August always has something to say when it comes to heat.

Back
Top Bottom