[ITT: Charitable donations]Skywalker's daughter, Bethany

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
thats an amazing total, big respect to the community. I donated for a family in need at a difficult time, it's not my business what skywalker chooses to do with the money, just want to send my best wishes to him and his family, you're all in my thoughts.

Associate
Well done everyone, £4k is a great achievement. And well done to Gilly for setting up this fund. :)

I would just like to say having read back through the thread, i'm happy like many other people, that my donation be used as Skywalker see's fit to help Bethany in any way. The way i see it, the money i donated would probably have been spent on crap anyway, so i'm happy it will be used for something good instead.

Man of Honour
OP
Donations will be accepted any time, just mail me to let me know so it's not just sitting there.

Just getting the bank link to Paypal sorted now.

[edit]...and that is sorted. As soon as the account details are credited the money will be going over.

Man of Honour
OP
I had a phone call yesterday from a foreign number to my mobile asking for details about my account. How much was in it, what I was doing to get the money, what I was going to do with it... I refused to give them any information there and then. I don't appreciate cold callers (and I include this kind of thing in that). The woman I spoke to had a very thick accent and there was a long delay on the call. I wasn't happy giving any information at all.

The only reason she gave for wanting the information was 'for security'. That wasn't good enough for me.

Soldato
I had a phone call yesterday from a foreign number to my mobile asking for details about my account. How much was in it, what I was doing to get the money, what I was going to do with it... I refused to give them any information there and then. I don't appreciate cold callers (and I include this kind of thing in that). The woman I spoke to had a very thick accent and there was a long delay on the call. I wasn't happy giving any information at all.

The only reason she gave for wanting the information was 'for security'. That wasn't good enough for me.

Paypal are a nightmare once you transfer a certain amount of money through your account.
I ran over £4k through my account in less than 6 months and they locked it to ensure I wasn't running a business and performing tax evasion, it took around a week to unlock it and involved more verifications.. Although I don't remember paypal contacting me? as much as I remember they locked my account and I contacted them instantly in a rage.

Man of Honour
OP
Thats fair enough. Have you contacted them and asked for a specific number to call them back on?

They need me to fax them certain documentation.

Thing is, the page that tells me this says 'if you go over a certain amount during the first year then security implications and restrictions kick in. Well I've had this PayPal account for years and have had this amount of money in it for a very similar reason in the past. Why do they ask now?

Soldato
They need me to fax them certain documentation.

Thing is, the page that tells me this says 'if you go over a certain amount during the first year then security implications and restrictions kick in. Well I've had this PayPal account for years and have had this amount of money in it for a very similar reason in the past. Why do they ask now?

When it happened to me, apparently it was also something to do with new EU regulations to do with money laundering. It affects anyone who has received £4500.

Official response from Ebay in this thread:

http://forums.ebay.co.uk/thread.jspa?threadID=200015135&tstart=40&mod=1211775145138

Man of Honour
OP
Why is it that thousands can go through my bank account from it being opened, yet when I get to a relatively tiny ceiling 6 years after opening an account they freeze it? Stupidity.

Associate

Definately sounds suspicious. When PayPal phoned me to confirm a £100+ transfer the guy sounded slightly foreign but was easy to understand. Wasn't a delay either. Sounds like some **** has seen this donation thread and wants your details. :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
No, it was straight up, as my account has now been limited. It was a very poor phone call though.

It annoys me when this happens. It's he same as the banks. Can you confirm such and such. No I can't. I'll phone the bank up and ask them.

They all keep blurting out don't give information out. Then they do the exact phone call, they say you should listen to.

Man of Honour
Why is it that thousands can go through my bank account from it being opened, yet when I get to a relatively tiny ceiling 6 years after opening an account they freeze it? Stupidity.
Simple reason, though annoying. Anyone can open a PayPal account and they do very little in the way of checks - things like 'verified' status only indicate that you have means of access to the account/address/whatever that you gave them - I don't think they mean they did any checks to make sure those details belong to you. Only once there's some inducement (financial or legal) that demands they must obtain proof of these details do they actually do so, and they bar access to your account while they're doing it to make sure you comply.

Most banks, on the other hand, demand proof of identity before they even let you near an account, so they don't have to do these checks later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom