ITV News Crew "Missing" in southern Iraq :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
Originally posted by PhilthyPhil
If this is true then I have no sympathy whatsoever for them.
They made a mistake, they paid the ultimate price. Surely they didn't deserve that. And as they are dead they deserve our respect for doing there job. Just as all the troops who are dieing deserve our respect.

Soldato
Troops need to be there, journalists don't and, IMO, shouldn't be there.

Had another read of the paper and it does seem that they were told to go back. In this case they did not make a mistake, they foolishly ignored good advice.

Associate
Originally posted by Sleepy
They made a mistake, they paid the ultimate price. Surely they didn't deserve that. And as they are dead they deserve our respect for doing there job. Just as all the troops who are dieing deserve our respect.

well if you see a sign saying "danger - high voltage" and proceed to prod the thing with a fork you can't exactly expect sympathy when you get electrocuted

They were warned to turn back and ignored the warning, this is what angers me. The news crews are all fighting to get as close to the action as possible to get a scoop, the troops are trying to get as close to the action to do their job. The news crew get no sympathy from me if they were warned

Associate
Originally posted by dirtydog
Why is the death of a news reporter so much more sad and tragic than the death of a soldier

Well for one, when you sign up to military service you are agreeing to give your life for your country, a reporter isnt doing the same.

Permabanned
Originally posted by Finn
Well for one, when you sign up to military service you are agreeing to give your life for your country, a reporter isnt doing the same.

A soldier is told where to go, a reporter has a choice.. also I bet he was on rather more money than the average squaddie.

Associate
Depends on wether they were embedded or unilaterals. not sure if the latter would have been allowed into Iraq

Unilaterals are allowed, one of the BBC reporters (can't remember which) was explaining the difference and said he was a unilateral.

Permabanned
Originally posted by Kanes
well if you see a sign saying "danger - high voltage" and proceed to prod the thing with a fork you can't exactly expect sympathy when you get electrocuted

They were warned to turn back and ignored the warning, this is what angers me. The news crews are all fighting to get as close to the action as possible to get a scoop, the troops are trying to get as close to the action to do their job. The news crew get no sympathy from me if they were warned
Bad analogy, what thet were doing was dangerous but was it suicidal we weren't there. So we cannot form a judgement yet.

Bottom line one is dead, 2 missing. Nuff said

Soldato
Originally posted by PhilthyPhil
Troops need to be there, journalists don't and, IMO, shouldn't be there.

Maybe so, but a death of a British person is still very sad news. If he was a relative of yours would you like people saying the above.

Whilst they shouldn’t have been there yada, yada… show some respect.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I think any death of any perosn is tragic but my personal feelings for that death have to do with how closely they are related to me

For example I feel really bad about teh dead US/UK soldiers because I am American and I live in Britian so both are close to me. But Iraqi soldiers death do not affect me because they arent close to me

If someone were to die from my dads squadron I would feel even worse and the close the death was to family the worse I feel.

I dont think that makes me sick or disgusted that I 'favour' (for lack of better terms I dont favour any death) certain deaths but it just comes naturally.

Associate
Bad analogy, what thet were doing was dangerous but was it suicidal we weren't there. So we cannot form a judgement yet.

they were heading into a warzone unarmed, wanting to take pictures against the suggestion of the forces who deemed it too dangerous, sounds pretty suicidal to me

But as you say, 1 dead, 2 missing, it's still sad news if a little self inflicted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom