ive doen it ! i kicked my CSS adiction

Associate
Good work on kicking the CS:S addiction mate, I am trying to do the same.
(breaking my 6800 has helped a lot, getting a rma put me back to square one)

Playing for the last few years off and on, after work and on slow weekends has had an addictive effect personally. As mentioned, the moments where your adrenalin kicks in as you face off against 3 opponents, the "flow" when you completely gel with the game and at times seem unstoppable. I realise that if you learn the maps and know the weapons it helps but the skill required by good players is not to be sneezed at. I find it the most engaging game I have ever played, and unfortunately because of this it is a very hard stimulant to go without :(

BF2 hit boxes just seem absurd compared to CS:S, although after the 1.2 patch there seems to be a lot more ground based combat going on. That Medic class is just unstoppable now once you have an unlock under your belt, fun for a while but CS:S for the win 4 now.

I find exercise is a good alternative, and leaves you exhaused, pity about this UK weather, it's almost made for CS:S players! :p

Associate
I was addicted to CSS, I weened myself off onto Eve Online. Like someone who smokes marijuana suddenly moving onto heroin :( Now im even more addicted to eve than I ever was to CSS!

If anyone values their social life dont sign up to MMORPGs.

Associate
Never got on with CSS but have spent thousands of pounds and hours on my addiction to RTCW.. Still love the game, on my days off I still spend far too much time playing, had about 12 hour session last Saturday.. its just so much fun!!!

Soldato
OP
these games really should have health warnings !
also... how many of your wallets have been dictated by the games you play... i was in denial that i was spending my money on hardware to make the thing look better but come to think of it... thats the only reason !

i think ive helped another fellow gamer break out too todday though... my mate is adicted to halo 2, and were always talking about our gamnes and today he was just gobsmacked at my decuission... and said " you know what... i think im gonna go cold turkey too "

this whole thing is just bizare... still finidning my slef sittin at my PC 24/7
exercise is a good idea. gym memberships ran out and ... yea the british weather was made for gaming :p.

is there anything i can get to MAKE sure i dont use my PC in certain hours... lol an ASBO might work :p
its a serious problem :(

and oxygen i know what you mean ... there seems yto be a point where you just 'know' the game, you know the weapons. and its just so engaging. that what i like about it... its simple. ruin - shoot. the really good players just seem to have raw skill

Soldato
R B CUSTOMS said:
these games really should have health warnings !
also... how many of your wallets have been dictated by the games you play... i was in denial that i was spending my money on hardware to make the thing look better but come to think of it... thats the only reason !

i think ive helped another fellow gamer break out too todday though... my mate is adicted to halo 2, and were always talking about our gamnes and today he was just gobsmacked at my decuission... and said " you know what... i think im gonna go cold turkey too "

this whole thing is just bizare... still finidning my slef sittin at my PC 24/7
exercise is a good idea. gym memberships ran out and ... yea the british weather was made for gaming :p.

is there anything i can get to MAKE sure i dont use my PC in certain hours... lol an ASBO might work :p
its a serious problem :(

and oxygen i know what you mean ... there seems yto be a point where you just 'know' the game, you know the weapons. and its just so engaging. that what i like about it... its simple. ruin - shoot. the really good players just seem to have raw skill

pubs help...or a girlfriend but i guess both you could argue as just another way of spending money hehe

...ive only managed the 1st, but then again im not the most attractive guy around nor am i mr.personality...oh well

Soldato
Like a few have already mentioned, I have a rather high addiction to playing DoD:S.

I first installed DoD 1.3b years ago and dabbled a wee bit. It was the first online MP game I had played.

Then I found the official forums and began getting involved in the community more.

So much so, that I was asked to join the Valve webstaff there, so as well as playing the game, a lot of my online time gets taken up with admining the forums.

Joined a clan, which was fine until I became clan leader when the original fella left. This took up more time, arranging matches, scrims etc. Spent a lot of time in irc channels at that point.

Left that clan and joined another one, mostly consisting of Scottish DoD players, which made the voice comms a bit easier!!. Eventually became clan 2iC and thereafter clan leader again. We had some internal problems and after about 6 months that clan folded too.

I'm now a member of one of the UK's longest running DoD clans, [TFS] The Firing Squad. We can count 3 official Valve webstaff members in there too, including myself. [TFS]Darkpenfold and [TFS]El Capitan. :cool: Think thats pretty unique for a DoD clan. We're going from strength to strength at the moment and will this year be getting back into competitive play which will take up even more of my time!!.

However, I dont grudge it. It's the only online game I play and I still enjoy it immensely.

It's nice to be part of the webstaff too, means I can give some input back into the community. I've been part of the last three beta tests for DoD also, which again, is interesting. Nice to think that some of the feedback that I gave during these has been implemented in the final releases.

You can take things too far when it comes to addictive online gaming. I think so far, despite the hours I put in, I've managed to strike a reasonable balance ( although the missus would probably disagree :p ).

P.S. If anyone who reads this and visits the DoD forums wonders who I am on there, I'm Loco the Übergrumpyfuhrer. :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
you think gyouve kicked your css addiction? think again lol

i went 3 months without playing CSS or any other online FPS, then one day a few weeks ago i was boreddecided to give it a try again

guess what now im hooked :(

Soldato
OP
i think you might be right :(
id love to play it for say an hour a night... no more... but id still just sit here and wait for that hour.
i have no self control :( lol

got a girlfrined, i goto the pud odd times, goto college everyday, work on weekends, but the rest of the time wa staken up by css none stop.

Soldato
Whats yer longest time sat playing an online game?

I remember a few years ago, sitting up playing from around 20:00 on a Thursday evening right through till about 08:30 the next morning. Again, it was DoD and I was rather drunk at the time.

Thankfully, I've seen sense and this has not been repeated!!!

Soldato
Draeger said:
Whats yer longest time sat playing an online game?

I remember a few years ago, sitting up playing from around 20:00 on a Thursday evening right through till about 08:30 the next morning. Again, it was DoD and I was rather drunk at the time.

Thankfully, I've seen sense and this has not been repeated!!!

was off sick just before xmas, started up BF2 at 10:00 cam off at 04:30 !! i could he the commander barking orders in my head as i tried to sleep !!

Associate
Should it really be a case of cutting it completely out? I personally play CSS for at most an hour a day for a little light relieft, the rest of the time I've either got work to do or I'm with the girlfriend. It's about moderation people!

Back
Top Bottom