Ivers Guide to keeping your system secure and safe.

Soldato
Hi,

Now i am really in a dilemma over my firewall and antivirus software for my new comp.

I was looking at

Firewall - Zonealarm Pro

Virus Scanner - NOD32

Now after seeing some results on the virus scanning and reading other forum posts i may go for this:

Firewall - Outpost Pro or Kaspersky Firewall or Kerio - AHHHH???

Virus Scanner - Kaspersky 5.0

Now I am not sure if this is better or not?

Also is the Outpost firewall better than the Kaspersky one or should i go for the Kerio one??:confused:

Soldato
AVG from grisoft is a free virus scanner and does well for me.

Also for security, get the new product microsoft antispyware. It's free and I'm impressed with it so far.

Soldato
eXSBass said:
On the first page someone posted a huge list of IPs to block in Peer Guardian. Can some one please post that list again.

Cheers

Not sure you need a list. Just let PeerGuardian download a list for you, or use Blocklist Manager to compile your own.

Associate
Recently lent my mate my old pc and got it back full of viruses etc... Ran avg on it and it found about 30 of them. But it still was running slowly, so downloaded a free trial of Norton and it found another 6.

I used to use Norton but due to the whole memory hogging and cost I changed to some free ones, avg and sygate. See I ran a virus check on my pc (not the one I lent my friend) and it came back with 6 viruses. Now I don't feel so secure with my current protective setup and am considering going back to norton. I don't use any peer to peer and only really download game demos and patches, and these viruses still managed to get past my firewall and were ignored by the anti-virus.

Associate
GET SMART

Well all i can say after reading this lot of posts is that people are habitual. Everyone likes what they like personally and no amount of stating this that and the other is going to get them to change but they will expect you to start using what they use :rolleyes:
I personally think Windows SP2 sucks and that Norton has just got to the point where its just too damn busy on your computer that it slows other things down. Zone Alarm (free version) is meant to be off putting in order that you buy Zone Alarm Pro (i use Pro by the way) and blah, blah, blah.... you could go on forever. Check out places like http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm and just use what you are comfortable with.
Someone mentioned using SpyBlaster... If they had checked Spywarrior they would have seen that the FTC has just had them by the short and curlies for being deceptive (blatantly dishonest i would call it) about thier placement of Spyware on peoples computers , in order to promote themselves etc.

Finally. Every piece of software has shortfalls and eventually will find its way to the Iggy farm. :D

Soldato
According to that article you've just linked to the FTC were investigating a product called "spyblast" not "spywareblaster" which is a different program and not connected with advertising.com as far as I can see.

Spywareblaster from javacoolsoftware tends to be the one everyone mentions and recommends around here and no doubt that spyblast program has a deliberately similar name in order to fool the unwary into installing it instead of the spywareblaster program.

Mark

Associate
Is AVG free edition still available? A quick scan through their web site didn't get me anywhere - it looks like it's now a 30-day free trial then you've gotta pay!

Any other free and decent AV programs out there to replace it?

Associate
Hi, Great info on here,
I have changed to Kaspersky from Norton virus 2005.
I have norton personal firewall 2005,is this safe or is there better(pls dont say 2006)i mean other brands.
Thanks

Soldato
So which anti virus and firewall programs are thought to be the best nowadays then?

Im currently running Nod32 and Sygate... am just about to try Kaspersky to see how it compares to Nod. Any other recommendations for a firewall?

Suspended
OP
I could'nt suggest a firewall at mo, Ive been using SP2's and my routers NAT quite happilly since I gave up on sygate about 6 months ago.

I can tell you norton products are rubbish due to the huge amounts of bloat and system rescources they needlessly consume. Ive used system works and their personal firewall in the (recent & not so recent) past and never again.

Sygate has just been taken over by norton so expect that to go down the crapper soon.. if it hasnt already.

I would also be intrested in the latest and greatest software firewalls:) Ive never been thrilled with zone alarm btw.

Soldato
yeh, same... Zone Alarm doesnt really do it for me either. Sygate seems to be ok at the moment, hasnt been Norton'd. Havent really had any problems with it as such, was just interested in trying a new one for a change:)

Back
Top Bottom