1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jack Straw, Demotion And Iran.

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Von Smallhausen, 6 May 2006.

1. Von Smallhausen

Man of Honour

I look at Jack Straw's recent removal from the much coveted Foreign Secretary ministerial post and I can't help but wonder.

Mr Straw has steadfastly ruled out military action against Iran and his opinion obviously differs from Washington and possibly of the Prime Minister.

I personally don't think that he was doing a bad job in the Foreign Office and I can't help but wonder was he moved due to his comments on Iran and ruling out military action ? Was he considered a liability with reference to relations with the United States, standing shoulder to shoulder and the war on terror ?

Interesting.

2. dirtydog

PermaBanned

If that was the case then why replace him with a left winger? :)

3. JimmyEatWorms

PermaBanned

I think "ex-left winger" would be a more apt description.

ANyway, the willingness to go to war is not a left/right wing issue.

4. dirtydog

PermaBanned

I admit I have no idea what her position is on such things now, but she has traditionally been seen as an old Labour style left winger :) Albeit it would seem very odd for Blair to put such a person in such a position, so perhaps she has changed her views. (Or, abandoned her principles to put it another way.)

5. JimmyEatWorms

PermaBanned

She's also seen as a staunch blairite. I think she's one of the old labour mob that just ditched their principles when given a sniff at power.

6. dirtydog

PermaBanned

I didn't actually know that, but it makes her appointment make more sense.

Sounds about right.

7. Visage

PermaBanned

The story i heard was that Blair offered Clarke the FS role. Clarke, somewhat anoyed at being sacked as HS, refused. Blair had already got rid of Straw, so was forced to search around for someone else.....

8. Ranger

Gangster

Maybe Jack Straw is in the Brown camp and old Tony doesn't like that?
    Is Tony surrounding himself with yes men?

9. dirtydog

PermaBanned

More on this today... Downing Street rubbishing the idea that Straw was replaced on the Yanks' say so.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4750397.stm

I would certainly hope that a British prime minister doesn't take his orders from Washington, although let's face it, it wouldn't be anything new.

10. scorza

Caporegime

A correspondant on C4 news has stated that Jack Straw's ruling out of military action against Iran actually helped the US administration (well Condoleeza Rice anyway) defend its position against the hawks in Washington.