Jam makers - odd scenario about storage

Soldato
Hi all,

We picked a bunch of elderberries + blackberries and plan to make them into jam. I ordered some jars off amazon, but weirdly only half of them are coming today and the other half are coming tomorrow.

We will need both amounts of jars. I really don't want to wait 48hrs+ from picking to making the jam because I think they'll start to go mouldy. Is it possible to jar what we can fit, then freeze the rest. And then tomorrow when we have the rest of the jars to reheat the frozen jam and then jar the rest?

TLDR
  • Picked Elderberries + Blackberries Sunday
  • Make Jam Monday + jar as much as we can
  • freeze leftover jam
  • More jars arrive Tuesday, reheat frozen jam and jar the rest
  • Is this ok?

For storing the fruit we've layered it all in a bowl with sugar and covered with cling film.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd have frozen some of the fruit; still could ? fresh jam in winter.
generally, reheating you drive off more water, so it's thicker, and, may overcook too, I've only reheated when marmalade didn't set

Soldato
Have spoken to the wife .....
you could make jelly - stew the fruit gently for about 20-30 minutes and then strain through a muslin or fine mesh sieve overnight. Squeeze or press out all the liquid and goodness!
If you haven’t added sugar already.
Then you measure the liquid; add half the volume of water and then same amount of sugar. Boil until set.
1 litre of liquid = add 500 ml water and 1:5 kg sugar.
You can stew today and boil tomorrow.
If you have already added sugar then it will be fine covered in the fridge until tomorrow.
Or as others have said; freeze and keep to make in future or just make jam when jars arriv3.
(The jelly is fab with roasted meats - especially cold lamb or beef sarnies!)
The liquid measurements are good for any jelly - crab apple, with or without herbs (rosemary for lamb!) or elderberry, or blackberry, or quince.

Soldato
If you've made Jam and raised the sugar content sufficiently high as long as it is covered properly and then reheated to the correct temperature the next day I can't see a problem. Nothing is going to survive the boil temperature the second day to be transferred across. I would worry about water crystallisation or sugar crystallisation if you froze personally. The reason these things keep if the high acidity and sugar. Your main risks are mold and frankly the second boil will re-sterilise.

Caporegime
Hi all,

We picked a bunch of elderberries + blackberries and plan to make them into jam. I ordered some jars off amazon, but weirdly only half of them are coming today and the other half are coming tomorrow.

We will need both amounts of jars. I really don't want to wait 48hrs+ from picking to making the jam because I think they'll start to go mouldy. Is it possible to jar what we can fit, then freeze the rest. And then tomorrow when we have the rest of the jars to reheat the frozen jam and then jar the rest?

TLDR
  • Picked Elderberries + Blackberries Sunday
  • Make Jam Monday + jar as much as we can
  • freeze leftover jam
  • More jars arrive Tuesday, reheat frozen jam and jar the rest
  • Is this ok?

For storing the fruit we've layered it all in a bowl with sugar and covered with cling film.

just freeze what you aint using they will be fine we used to do this with all fruit for jam and pies.

Soldato
OP
Thanks all I think it might be crisis averted. Looks like Hobbycraft stock empty jars so we’ll pick some up tonight and do it all tonight.

Soldato
Thanks all I think it might be crisis averted. Looks like Hobbycraft stock empty jars so we’ll pick some up tonight and do it all tonight.

Did you get sorted? No use now, but the last time I went on the hunt for jam jars for Mrs Chris, it was cheaper to buy supermarket own-brand jam at around 20 to 30p a jar than buy empty jars. I have a memory of emptying the cheap jam into a plastic tub and eventually getting through it on toast (I hate waste!) :D

Back
Top Bottom