James Cameron's 'Avatar' - The next gen of cinema

Soldato
You forgot to accuse him of looking for attention for daring to say this might not be the best movie ever made.

You need to read the thread :rolleyes:

Personally, I suspect the film will miss the mark as I fear 'the message' may be lost in new in all the new technology involved, and I fear Cameron may have passed his prime. However, I'm hopnig I'm wrong and will wait till I see it to comment.

What you see in this thread - which I've picked up on - are silly childish binary opinions (going to the worse film ever... Cameron is rubbish) with are just childish ill-thoughtout cries for attention rather than any sort of attempt to participate in an adult conversaion :)

Soldato
Can you watch these 3D films in regular cinemas?
Wasn't really interested in Up but might go see this if I can.

A good number of 'regular' cinemas did the upgrade to digital years ago. If you're talking about one local to you, guess you'll need to find out. But if they're showing any 3D films, then they almost certainly are running digital 3D projectors.

Associate
You need to read the thread :rolleyes:

Personally, I suspect the film will miss the mark as I fear 'the message' may be lost in new in all the new technology involved, and I fear Cameron may have passed his prime. However, I'm hopnig I'm wrong and will wait till I see it to comment.

What you see in this thread - which I've picked up on - are silly childish binary opinions (going to the worse film ever... Cameron is rubbish) with are just childish ill-thoughtout cries for attention rather than any sort of attempt to participate in an adult conversaion :)

Ok well I'm going to stick my neck out here and risk it. From the shots and sequences I have worked on and had the pleasure of watching - I can safely say I was dissapointed in the acting (mostly the voice acting). Also the actual animation of the characters was completely rushed and I am amazed the film is even coming out so soon. We were still working on the film about 2 weeks ago and it only just passed the full colour grade about a week/days ago. Which is why I think it won't be as good as it could be - they rushed a fair few (pivotal) scenes in order for a christmas release.

Last edited:
Soldato
I thought this was a good promotional article on the film:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/mos...ckbuster-Avatar-set-revolutionise-cinema.html

Gives an idea of just how much work goes into these type of movies.

Ok well I'm going to stick my neck out here and risk it. From the shots and sequences I have worked on and had the pleasure of watching - I can safely say I was dissapointed in the acting (mostly the voice acting). Also the actual animation of the characters was completely rushed and I am amazed the film is even coming out so soon. We were still working on the film about 2 weeks ago and it only just passed the full colour grade about a week/days ago. Which is why I think it won't be as good as it could be - they rushed a fair few (pivotal) scenes in order for a christmas release.

I don't get the all negativity for something you've worked on? If they've rushed stuff, well fine, that's understandable. Cameron himself has said he'll basically be editing up until release date.

It'd be great if you could offer some proof of your involvement in the film. :) (Not an insult, just a genuine request).

Last edited:
Associate
I thought this was a good promotional article on the film:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/mos...ckbuster-Avatar-set-revolutionise-cinema.html

Gives an idea of just how much work goes into these type of movies.

I don't get the all negativity for something you've worked on? If they've rushed stuff, well fine, that's understandable. Cameron himself has said he'll basically be editing up until release date.

It'd be great if you could offer some proof of your involvement in the film. :) (Not an insult, just a genuine request).

I would love to but we dont get our individual 3D elements until after the film has been released to DVD. It's always a pain in the arse because I cant update my demo reel with avatar stuff until next year! :(

Associate
I just saw the latest trailer, and my opinion has changed quite a lot on the visuals. There must have been some final editing because it looked totally awesome to me. Really looking forward to this movie now! :D

Soldato
I must admit that reading those critic reviews, it almost sounds as if they have been made up. There is nothing but praise.

Once it goes on general release and non-newspaper reviews come out, those reviews, by the general public, should be more insightful.

Soldato
The initial reviews generally seem +ve... :)

The King of the World sets his sights on creating another world entirely in "Avatar," and it's very much a place worth visiting. The most expensive and technically ambitious film ever made, James Cameron's long-gestating epic pitting Earthly despoilers against a forest-dwelling alien race delivers unique spectacle, breathtaking sights, narrative excitement and an overarching anti-imperialist, back-to-nature theme that will play very well around the world, and yet is rather ironic coming from such a technology-driven picture. Twelve years after "Titanic," which still stands as the all-time B.O. champ, Cameron delivers again with a film of universal appeal that just about everyone who ever goes to the movies will need to see.​

Soldato
It's almost as if Cameron has written that review himself. In fact, all the press reviews seem to be have a similar tone. This is why I would rather wait for the public reviews to start coming in.

Man of Honour
From the review in todays Times:

But on the strength of the film’s well-received world premiere in the Odeon Leicester Square, in Central London, last night the movie industry players of Los Angeles should not be too worried about losing their houses just yet.

Avatar is an overwhelming, immersive spectacle. The state-of-the-art 3D technology draws us in, but it is the vivid weirdness of Cameron’s luridly imagined tropical otherworld that keeps us fascinated.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co...tainment/film/film_reviews/article6952668.ece

Soldato
Avatar is an overwhelming, immersive spectacle. The state-of-the-art 3D technology draws us in, but it is the vivid weirdness of Cameron’s luridly imagined tropical otherworld that keeps us fascinated.

I'm beginning to think that Cameron has paid off these reviewers. I don't think I've ever heard of a film receive such overwhelmingly good reviews from the professional critics.

Back
Top Bottom