Japan in Neon

Soldato
Would it be possible for you to post a small version of a before and after on one of the photos just for an idea of how much processing you've had to do to get that 'look'
+1 would be interested to know how you achieved this look (even if you don't give us a full run-down). It looks like white is made Cyan and red is made magenta.

Either way, stunning shots as always Raymond.

Caporegime
OP
19 please, but maybe @Derek W has a different one he’s interested in (he did ask first). :)

Here you go.

There is a massive caveat to processing like this. I tried it on my older Canon files and it tears it to pieces. The way you have to push the Highlights all the way back and everything else almost all the way up really takes them to the limit and with older generation sensors it creates Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much noise to the point that it just a mess. And I am talking about 5D files too.

Also, it only works for night time mostly, and the problem with night time is that you need high ISO usually unless you are using a tripod. So high ISO plus pushing the files like this = death.

But the Sony files does fine.

nwE3JUF.png

Soldato
Here you go.

There is a massive caveat to processing like this. I tried it on my older Canon files and it tears it to pieces. The way you have to push the Highlights all the way back and everything else almost all the way up really takes them to the limit and with older generation sensors it creates Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much noise to the point that it just a mess. And I am talking about 5D files too.

Also, it only works for night time mostly, and the problem with night time is that you need high ISO usually unless you are using a tripod. So high ISO plus pushing the files like this = death.

But the Sony files does fine.

nwE3JUF.png

Nice one! Thanks, Raymond, especially the warning about the noise. I'll have to fire up LR and have a play at some point.

Soldato
19 please, but maybe @Derek W has a different one he’s interested in (he did ask first). :)

I didn't have a preference on which photo he put up since i know that once @Raymond Lin has perfected his process it would be the same across the board barring some photo specific tweaks.

I think I had these misconceptions with regard to inner city Seoul and major cities in Japan (and in part Bladerunner!) of built up areas with large neon signs flashing everywhere so you had at least something to work with in terms of the blue and magenta tones to the photos but nope just an ordinary street scene! :o I am also a little surprised that your 5D photos struggled to recreate the image style falling down to noise that your Sony's managed though. Fascinating insight to that style of photo though. :cool:

Caporegime
OP
I didn't have a preference on which photo he put up since i know that once @Raymond Lin has perfected his process it would be the same across the board barring some photo specific tweaks.

I think I had these misconceptions with regard to inner city Seoul and major cities in Japan (and in part Bladerunner!) of built up areas with large neon signs flashing everywhere so you had at least something to work with in terms of the blue and magenta tones to the photos but nope just an ordinary street scene! :o I am also a little surprised that your 5D photos struggled to recreate the image style falling down to noise that your Sony's managed though. Fascinating insight to that style of photo though. :cool:

Sometimes it's more fun not knowing how things are made. :p

Back
Top Bottom