Jay's Story and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
OP
IainB said:
Mr DD - is Jay into his cars at all?
Only ask as I may be able to wangle a ride out in a Street Eliminator car (obviously from Santa Pod) but thought I would ask first before making any enquiries
he does like going to santa pod, not sure if that may scare the snot out of him tho, i'll 'put' it to him - Ace :D

sfx

sfx

Associate
I really feel for you and toyr family mate. I wish Jay and your Bro a speedy recovery.

Best wishes to you and your family,

sfx

Don
a very good friend of mine was in a similar biking accident he was in a coma for a week (doctors induced it afaik), he was utterly unrecognisable with tubes and all sorts coming out of him, I'm telling you this because it sounds very similar to your circumstances, my friend is now fully recovered albeit with some very nasty scars, the recovery process was hard though I would expect your brother to spout nonsense for a few weeks, my friend (Neil) would ahve hour long conversations with us about the most random things, whilst it was amusing it was also terribly sad at the same time. I dont know if the doctors have told you all this already, I just thought I would let you know that my friend made a full recovery so I hope your brother does too.

all the best chap it sounds as though some good luck is well overdue for you.

Soldato
OP
Will Gill said:
a very good friend of mine was in a similar biking accident he was in a coma for a week (doctors induced it afaik), he was utterly unrecognisable with tubes and all sorts coming out of him, I'm telling you this because it sounds very similar to your circumstances, my friend is now fully recovered albeit with some very nasty scars, the recovery process was hard though I would expect your brother to spout nonsense for a few weeks, my friend (Neil) would ahve hour long conversations with us about the most random things, whilst it was amusing it was also terribly sad at the same time. I dont know if the doctors have told you all this already, I just thought I would let you know that my friend made a full recovery so I hope your brother does too.

all the best chap it sounds as though some good luck is well overdue for you.

he's already got a few scars, i think the smeggin great one across his head will take pride of place now tho !!
it's good to hear your mates story - encouraging.
re : odd conversations, he came off his bike a couple of years back, and bopped his nut on a kurb, he lost consiousness very briefly, but had obviously shaken him, sometimes i couldn't help but think of red dwarf, when kryten is smacked and traped by a gantree, and he goes on about the loss of his short term memory, that coupled with the loss of his short term memory had left him slightly confused :D

we are seeing about sorting his garden out for him - it aint pretty, so the family and hopefully some of his mates are going to 'ground force' it for him, he'll be well chuffed when hopefully he see's it :)

Man of Honour
Dead Dog said:
he does like going to santa pod, not sure if that may scare the snot out of him tho, i'll 'put' it to him - Ace :D

This isnt 100% confirmed yet, they are checking the rule book to make sure its OK.... but it looks likely that I may have got Jay a run out in this.... and probably on its debut as well :D

wheels3.JPG

Associate
I was going to suggest Make-A-Wish , (a charity that grants wishes made by children living with life-threatening illnesses,) but after seeing the above, I think that OCUK can put on a much better show :)

Make-a-Wish is the charity we support at work, and I have had the pleasure of seeing a few children have their wishes granted. A wonderful charity - take a few minutes to read some of the stories on their site.

Certainly something for DeadDog may like to consider for Jay, (wishes usually involve all the family), sometime in the future.

Soldato
OP
Perturabo said:
Are you sure that's a good idea Michael?

:D :D

Cheese taster - Yup "make a wish" is a superb charity, we have details, whilst we were in the first time (just before christmas), a couple of them went to lapland - 'think' jay has 3 wishes at his disposal, holidays, days out to JCB baloon flights, all sorts of stuff - really good stuff!

went to see mi bro wednesday, he looked soooo much better!, it was like he was 100%, just not talking, he still isn't 'awake' as yet, but i'm sure it won't be long now!, mum rang today, and he has been moved to high dependancy, as he doesn't need as much stuff now, he's breathing without a ventilator all the time now, just a wee bit of help from a little box, was lifting his arm right up in the air, and was moving his right arm and pulling lots of funny faces! - felt really positive about him when we left - good stuff :)

Associate
Glad you know about Make A wish. His wishes sound great! I can recommend a balloon flight, I've done one and it was superb. Bit short (about an hour in the air) and very dependent on the "right" sort of weather conditions.

Glad to hear about your brother's improvement. We all wish you and he all the best - from a family of bikers.

Soldato
Sounds like your brother is doing very well indeed!

Make a wish is a superb charity, possibly in Jay's case we can give a more "personal" wish, but they still do a wonderful job.

One of my old uni friend's lives in the US, and has married an American. They won a competition on their local radio station for $50k worth of wedding gear - the reception, photogs etc. so they actually donated a lot of money that would otherwise have been spent on their wedding, split between the UK and US branches of the Make a Wish foundation. They also had a collection on the day. I forget how much was donated overall, but it was well over $10,000 dollars!

Soldato
Only just seen this thread, as I don't visit GD as often as I should. My thoughts are with you during this difficult time. I specifically noticed these comments:

Dead Dog said:
I have never seen so many wires and tubes out of one person, the song ‘wires’ has been in my head eversince I was keeping an eye on a white number on the monitor that was his brain pressure level, a number they said was important to recovery, it’s the blood pressure difference between the brain and the heart, the number wanted to stay above 60, the lower the number the higher the pressure from the heart to the brain – causes problems!

I know exactly what you mean here and what you're going through as my mother was involved in a very serious car accident over five years ago. The first time we were allowed in to see her I was also struck by the number of wires and tubes attached and as she also suffered a nasty blow to the head they also monitored the pressure inside her skull. You try to force yourself not to dwell on the monitor readings but it's harder than it sounds.

She pulled through and has now recovered to a far greater extent than anyone thought possible, I sincerely hope this is the case for your brother. One other thing I'd mention is that, as you've no doubt been told, head injuries can have very strange effects. When my mother first regained consciousness after her accident, she was talking virtual gibberish for nearly a week afterward. We feared there had been permanent damage but the doctors told us to give it some time. Sure enough after a week or two she was back to normal, I think it's just a case of the brain sorting itself out after the trauma. I only mention this in case something similar happens with your brother, don't lose hope if at first he seems a little strange.

Soldato
OP
thanks mate!
we have been told about that + he's had a trackioptomy.....ermm a pipe in his throat, to free his mouth up, which they said will be hard for bro to get used to, and we will all, but esp him, get frustrated because we won't understand him to great to start.
he is in high dependency now, i should be seeing him tomorrow.

as for jay he's @ kettering now, he went in earlier today. his blood count was low (fri) and esp his plaitlettes. he went to the toilet earlier, and there was a trace of blood from 'down there' - so in he went - much to Jay's delight / not so much Sam's. just got off the phone from Sam - he has a urinary infection, and they've started a course of antibiotics - overnight stay + back tomorrow, and the community nurse will do the honours during the week. - Jay was over the moon, been playing skittles and watching a vid + going again tomorrow :D

Soldato
OP
well Jay & Sam came home last night, went back this morning, and haven't been called back yet, so can't be anything too bad.

Bro was asleep this morning, GIT came all that way to see him, he could have at least opened his eyes :D , we'd left a diary for people to put comments in when they come, from what i can see he's had a sleepy weekend, not awake much going by the remarks in the book - maybe we should have waved a fry-up under his nose!
he had a scan recently, and the fractures he sustained seem to be doing well, so they said about sitting him up more & maybe putting him into a chair.
still staple and his breating is coming along very nicely.

Man of Honour
Glad to hear everything is on the up :)

Jay has another ride in a car semi-sorted ;) and a few are talking about making the cruise an extra special one ;)

Although I guess its hard to confirm, but do you think Jay would be available on the 25th June (Summer Nationals @ the Pod) as thats when they are next racing?

p.s. did you phone the work number?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom