Jedi ejected from Tesco for wearing hood

Caporegime
so they discriminate on grounds of age now do they, its pathetic either way you look at it, but I bet they wouldnt have said anything to one of those freaks with the black cape with eye slits

Oh come on, don't be stupider than you can help being. What do you think the prime age group for shoplifting is? Yes, dimbo... young men wearing hoodies. Are you the stereotypical BNP supporter with an IQ of 20?

Soldato
so they discriminate on grounds of age now do they, its pathetic either way you look at it, but I bet they wouldnt have said anything to one of those freaks with the black cape with eye slits

nice :/

but if he went in wearing that (in the picture) he just looks like an emo kid, and would arouse suspicion

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Oh come on, don't be stupider than you can help being. What do you think the prime age group for shoplifting is? Yes, dimbo... young men wearing hoodies. Are you the stereotypical BNP supporter with an IQ of 20?

Not wanting to get in the way of your rant, but I was always under the impression that it was usually young women that were shoplifters?

Associate
I honestly can't believe people comparing religion to dumb tripe like the Jedi cult and motorcycle helmets. This shouldn't be news really. Like people have said, it's not part of Jedi "beliefs" to keep the hood on all the time.

I suspect that is meant to be the lighthearted aside from Tesco to show they aren't the humourless corporate monolith this story might otherwise make them appear as.

However I can't help feeling that this is something of a non-story since as the individual notes "...(my religion) states that I can wear headwear", which is distinctly different from "...(my religion) states that I must wear headwear". Add to that the issue that Jedi is not a recognised religion in any official sense and I'd guess he's on a hiding to nothing.

As Cybermyk mentions shops have the right to accept or refuse your custom on any grounds that they feel like and we equally have the right to judge them for their behaviour. As it stands my opinion of Tesco has not changed one iota.

Last time I looked, the arguments most Muslims use in the defence of the burka etc is that its NOT compulsory, and that people feel its a honour etc etc

It smacks to me of unfairness. One can wear a full length kit in a bank, but one cannot wear a motorcycle helmet. One can wear full muslim garb just about anywhere, but a hoody is now grounds for refused entry....

*I was arguing for arguings sake btw ;)*

Soldato
He invented the religion so he made up the rules...

No he didn't, George Lucas and others did.

So he would be twice as smart as any other Neanderthal thats in the BNP?

Jedi may not be a "proper" religion atm, but just think about it. All other religions were started at some point by someone making a load of crap up so give it time.

Man of Honour
Last time I looked, the arguments most Muslims use in the defence of the burka etc is that its NOT compulsory, and that people feel its a honour etc etc

That's part of what I covered with noting that Jedi is not a recognised religion - a combination of "I can choose to wear XXX" and that it isn't a recognised religion mean that it's a bit of a non-event. I can choose to wear anything and proclaim it to be my religious garb but if it is not officially recognised as such (and covered under anti discrimination laws or similar) then a shop is perfectly within their rights to refuse to serve me on those grounds.

Also it may depend on which particular version of Islam you follow whether a burqa is compulsory or not, I'm not 100% sure on it but with such a proliferation of creeds in the World I'd be more surprised if at least some didn't have it as a requirement.

It smacks to me of unfairness. One can wear a full length kit in a bank, but one cannot wear a motorcycle helmet. One can wear full muslim garb just about anywhere, but a hoody is now grounds for refused entry....

*I was arguing for arguings sake btw ;)*

Fairness is another issue, I'm not sure why you'd want to wear a motorcycle helmet into a bank but there is a rather delicate line to be struck between protecting religious freedoms and treating people equally.

Caporegime
Not wanting to get in the way of your rant, but I was always under the impression that it was usually young women that were shoplifters?

The point, my as ever needlessly pedantic forum chum, is that a young man with a hoodie is much more likely to shoplift that a woman wearing a burkha. If a store has a high rate of crime from young men wearing hoodies (this hiding their identity and making them difficult to recognise on CCTV then of course they are going to ask people to remove hoods.

Soldato
"They weren't listening to me and were rude. They had three people around me. It was intimidating."

Some Jedi, should have lightsabred their hands off and carried on shopping...oh wait his lightsabre is plastic and none of this is real. What a twonk.

Soldato
The point, my as ever needlessly pedantic forum chum, is that a young man with a hoodie is much more likely to shoplift that a woman wearing a burkha. If a store has a high rate of crime from young men wearing hoodies (this hiding their identity and making them difficult to recognise on CCTV then of course they are going to ask people to remove hoods.

People in burkhas ARE responsible for a lot of shoplifting, it's just that you're not allowed to tell them to take it off.

Caporegime
I honestly can't believe people comparing religion to dumb tripe like the Jedi cult and motorcycle helmets.

I can't believe that people think worshiping some magic sky pixie for no logical reason other than your parents do and you were brought up to worship that particular magical sky pixie is any different.

Yes the guy in the article is being a tool but he's also making a fair point about religion - personally I think Tescos should be able to ask people to remove their hoods if they want to but I don't see any reason why they shouldn't also be allowed to ask some woman who's quite bizarely decided to come in dressed as a ninja (presumably because she's really really committed to her magic sky pixie or her husband still lives in the stone age and will beat her for not being modest).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I can't believe that people think worshiping some magic sky pixie for no logical reason other than your parents do and you were brought up to worship that particular magical sky pixie is any different.

Yes the guy in the article is being a tool but he's also making a fair point about religion - personally I think Tescos should be able to ask people to remove their hoods if they want to but I don't see any reason why they shouldn't also be allowed to ask some woman who's quite bizarely decided to come in dressed as a ninja (presumably because she's really really committed to her magic sky pixie or her husband still lives in the stone age and will beat her for not being modest).

As opposed to all those religions who got their rules from where... omnipotent men in the sky?
I think it'd pretty easy to make a distinction between a religion stemming back with thousands of years of history and culture, and a 'religion' based on a modern popular fictional film franchise, regardless of your view of religion as a whole.

Soldato
If you give one religion certain treatment, in this case muslims being allowed to keep their headgear on, then you have to give it to all religions. Just because one religion is less well known or whatever, doesn't make it any less of a religion.

Caporegime
I think it'd pretty easy to make a distinction between a religion stemming back with thousands of years of history and culture, and a 'religion' based on a modern popular fictional film franchise, regardless of your view of religion as a whole.

Why though? Just because one religion has attracted more gullible people over time than a new one doesn't make it any more valid. (ok in this case perhaps it is clear that the guy doesn't really believe he's a jedi - but supposing he did then his personal belief is just as valid as some Christian or Muslim)

Man of Honour
If you give one religion certain treatment, in this case muslims being allowed to keep their headgear on, then you have to give it to all religions. Just because one religion is less well known or whatever, doesn't make it any less of a religion.

It isn't about how well know a 'religion' is, to simply view it like that is to view it without the necessary broader context needed. See my above post.

Man of Honour
Why though? Just because one religion has attracted more gullible people over time than a new one doesn't make it any more valid. (ok in this case perhaps it is clear that the guy doesn't really believe he's a jedi - but supposing he did then his personal belief is just as valid as some Christian or Muslim)

I think you have given my response yourself :)

If he was a member of a genuine, yet relatively unknown religion then I would be more inclined to side with that individual.

Back
Top Bottom