Jim Davidson Bankrupt..

Man of Honour
divosuk said:
Hate to point out the obvious Dolph, but....

1.) He owed a total of 1.4 Mill.
2.) He stated he had paid them the 'Majority ' of the bill - even though this was only 700,000 (half)
3.) He then offered to pay them another 450,000 - No where near the total.
4.) He clears off to a tax haven (and probably pays the same amount staying there as would be necessary to pay the bill)
5.) He refuses to perform again anywhere to pay the remainder of the bill.

He dug the hole...

And this addresses any of my criticism of your statement or counters anything I said how?

Soldato
On a personal level, I don't find the guy remotely amusing, but fair play to him for what he's achieved, and all the work he's done for charity, but the fact is, that he couldn't pay his taxes, so he was made bankrupt.

Happens to many people for far lesser amounts, so the fact that he's Jim Davidson makes no odds, and as for asking the IR to 'cut him some slack', did he really think he could negotiate with the Inland Revenue? He can't really be that stupid, can he?

Associate
Regardless of his financial situation, comedy content, charity work etc, I know people (female) who have had first hand experience of working alongside him in theatre and he does treat women like ****. From what I've heard, his attitude really does stink.

Man of Honour
taliesyn said:
did he really think he could negotiate with the Inland Revenue? He can't really be that stupid, can he?

When I got hammered in 95 for my music activities the Inland Revenue had to take action against me but they were absolutely brilliant with me. They cut me slack, let me take my time and did what they could to help me. I suppose this was because I didn't deny anything or told them to **** off. I paid my back tax and a month later they rang me. I poo'd my pants but the guy on the other end was really helpful and told me there were a couple of entries on my tax form I'd omitted. As soon as I filled them in I got £450 off them more than I'd given them tax - result. They even told me to check with my day job wages office because my tax code was too high. Another result - I'd been paying way too much and I got over a £1000 back - another result.

My lesson is that the taxman wants his cut without fighting - fight and he'll fight you back and win.

Back
Top Bottom