Job applications and "spent" convictions

Man of Honour
Funny thing is the MI5 website states that past drug use/convictions is not a bar to entry, whereas normal employers tend to be more crazy about those things.

Interviews and the application for the likes of the Security Service are basically how honest and trustworthy you are

If you have a spent conviction for possession of cannabis and they ask you about it and you say that you haven't then your application ends there.

I know a fella in Special Branch and without going into too much detail, he said that some questions were about his private life that he didn't think they would know anything about. He answered them honestly.

I forget now if the level of security clearance required for the likes of the Security Service is different to SB but perhaps their interview is even more in depth ?

At the OP, Perhaps you could seek advice from someone such as the criminal records department of your local force and see what they have to say ?

I would be disappointed if you were discriminated against for a snot of cannabis 27 years ago.

Last edited:
Soldato
id admit it too. i dont even think they can legally discriminate you because of it. yet they can easily discriminate against you lieing. like someone else said id assume a CRB would pull it up anyway!

Soldato
As a rule I would say that no - you really shouldn't mention it.
Without going into too much detail I've done some reading on this subject as it effects me too.
However the position you are applying for will involve an enhanced disclosure and so the offence will show up.

This is why they can legally ask you to mention "spent" convictions as it's in an industry that do enhanced CRB checks.

Mention it and then hope you've got a decent person doing the interview.
Or stick with jobs that don't require enhanced disclosure.

Associate
Honestly, if I was recruiting for a caretaker position, and had a decent candidate's app on my desk, and there was a misdemeanor for possession of a minor drug knocking on for 30 years ago, I doubt I would care if you could keep the place clean + tidy. :rolleyes:

Personally I don't drink, smoke, never thought of using drugs, but I wouldn't judge someone for being curious in their youth; there's only one reason kids go to university :p

Caporegime
I've not been convicted of a Crime for over 17 years now, prob more like 19 years. I don't have to "Fess" up as it's over ten years but I did have one of those Reports done a few years back, The look on the Dudes face as he read it was one of the most embarrassing situations i have ever faced. :o + :(
Fortunately the man had the intelligence to spend time with me & make his own decision, There are some very decent people out there. :cool:
He went against two other people & I Never let him down.

I Hate my past but I can only change my future.
You know what to do ... spill it :p

Back
Top Bottom