Job offer withdrawal based on nationality...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
If he was to be working in the US then yes there will be far stricter rules on who can / cannot work there (easily, with a new company at least). Just one of those things tbh, my own workplace can only employ certain nationalities too but for slightly different reasons - though not all of those nationalities can work on any of the US sites for a prolonged period of time.

Soldato
Perhaps none but I would still rather not mention them, thank you for the advice though.

Well, it might help giving the nationality.

If he was told that he didn't get the job due to his nationality and this is in writing. I would definitely be looking at writing a letter to the chairman, and possibly even contacting a omsburdmen or whoever deals with this sort of issue.

A lot of people play the race card, even if a decision has been made and it's not because of their religion or race/ even if it was an employer would never mention it. As a lot of companies do not discriminate against age,race,colour, etc...

Man of Honour
no company sends a rejection letter saying they rejected based on nationality. They just say "sry bro".

information must be wrong

Of course they do and can. Lots of government type jobs an only be filled by uk born people. And many international jobs can only be filled by certain nationality.

I very much doubt OP friend will have any case, as long as there's a reason for rejection. Like working abroad an needing visas.

Associate
OP
If he was to be working in the US then yes there will be far stricter rules on who can / cannot work there (easily, with a new company at least). Just one of those things tbh, my own workplace can only employ certain nationalities too but for slightly different reasons - though not all of those nationalities can work on any of the US sites for a prolonged period of time.

Employment would be solely based in the UK, at a research centre. It is the employer who is the US division of a multinational.

The job offer withdrawal explicitly stated that the company could not employ a person of their nationality.

Last edited:
Soldato
Employment would be solely based in the UK, at a research centre. It is the employer who is the US division of a multinational.

This is still pretty vague but sounding more likely to be a completely legitimate exclusion of a certain nationality due to security reasons, not just a small time office withdrawing an offer because they found out the candidate was brown.

Caporegime
AFAIK the only legitimate reasons to discriminate on nationality would be if a HM government clearance was required, or if the individual wasn't entitled to work in the UK in the first place.

Associate
OP
It may be the case that the customers needs / sensitivity of the work dictate who can or cannot be employed then.

This is the most likely reasoning which is understandable, however...

This is still pretty vague but sounding more likely to be a completely legitimate exclusion of a certain nationality due to security reasons, not just a small time office withdrawing an offer because they found out the candidate was brown.

Besides the reason, the manner in which the offer was made and then withdrawn seemed extremely unprofessional. One would think any multinational corporation would make all the necessary checks before extending a job offer.

Soldato
So I went into town and got myself a chocolate teapot, which is about as useful as the crappy information in this thread.

Why even start the thread in the first place?

Soldato
i really cant believe this thread, and wasnt going to post as its a waste of time, but hey i wll. :rolleyes:

sanofi, you ask 'Job offer withdrawal based on nationality... '

but you wont tell us what 'Job offer' or his 'nationality'

what kind of answer did you want, considering that many job require you to be able to travel, and be allowed to enter these countrys legally.

many industries have 'black lists' of people who cannot work for them. for instance you are highly unlikely to work for the USA's atomic research dept, if your Iranian.

so more info on circumstance?

/thread

Soldato
I completely understand you not wanting to name the company. I don't see the reason for not stating your friend's nationality though. It's not like any of us know who he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom