Joker Origin Story Film

Associate
There is a Joker Origin Story film in the works with director Todd Phillip's (The Hangover) and Martin Scorsese serving as producer.

It is being descibed as quoted:

An intriguing part is the setting. The intention is to make a gritty and grounded hard-boiled crime film set in early-’80s Gotham City that isn’t meant to feel like a DC movie as much as one of Scorsese’s films from that era, like Taxi Driver, Raging Bull or The King Of Comedy. I’m told that Phillips and Silver are writing already, but there is nothing firm on where this will fit into the DC schedule.

I am hoping this is going to be a dark, gritty gangster film. With help from Scorsese this could be incredible. I don't want to see no CGI, monsters or typical DC nonsense like what we have seen recently, hoping they keep it original, dark and almost similar to the Burton's original Batman film.

DC are also looking for fresh talent to play the Joker, so bye bye Jared Leto.

Soldato
A big nope, he's not a character I need to see an origin story for, i'm happy to have him as this constant dark presence in Batman's life and the more mystery that surrounds him, the better.

Been reading Batman comics for over 30 years and never felt the need to have his origin explained.

Leto is staying on as Joker for current era DC movies, they just want a new actor for the origin story. It's basically an elseworlds tale as I see it.

EDIT: Scorcese is only producing and that director isn't exactly great.

Soldato
I rather enjoyed Leto as the joker, he has the madness of it all down
Nicholson gave us gangster previously, Leger brought the anarchist
Leto was different, he was that abusive joker, that lovers intertwined.

tuvaMUg.jpg

Associate
Killing Joke had the multiple choice past thing though, it wasn't like "this is the definitive origin". Hell Joker doesn't need an origin story, there's no big reveal in his past worth telling, whoever he was before is irrelevant, it's who he becomes after the chemical bath.

But if they really are committed to doing this, the Killing Joke has the best take; do it as an series of different versions, each by a different director with no version being more canon than the others and work from there. Even get Batfleck and Leto in for cameos at the end.

Associate
All the comic book fans will be getting all edgy and triggered by this, an origin story for the one that never tell's the truth.

Actual comic fans would have already read, or be aware of, the many (many) different origin stories of the Joker that have been done. They would also know "Elseworlds" is a thing ;)

The only comic-book fans who couldn't cope with this, would be sort of fans who can't understand that there are many different versions of superheroes happening all at once. They're more accurately known as "Comic book fans that are actually fans of the Marvel/Disney movies but might have seen a Spiderman comic on a shelf once" :D

Back
Top Bottom