Jonsbo UMX4 Build

Associate
Doesn’t seem to be many UMX4 builds (new revision) out there let alone Jonsbo builds, so thought I’d add my own here. It’s not a complex build at all, and I’m hoping it’ll act as a reference to anyone who had one or thinking of purchasing one, knowing what they can fit and/or limitations to this case.

Been out the loop for a while and think it’s time for a PC refresh... specifically donating majority of my current computer parts to a new build to act as my VR system, which will help complement the Valve Index I have on order and given the hardware specs it requires.

This gives me an excuse to the missus to upgrade my 750D with new hardware and for that I’ll be joining the AMD bandwagon for its bang-for-buck performance, and well, I get to build a new PC. That will come later once we see what AMD’s new offering is during October... so second build log will be introduced.

For now, let’s focus on the donor hardware:

CPU: Intel 4770K Haswell - Delidded
Motherboard: Asus Maximus Formula VI Z87
Memory: 4x8Gb Corsair Vengeance 2400
GPU: EVGA GTX1080 FE (this will be going back into my 750D build once the new GPU is released and reviewed)
Primary Storage: Corsair MP510 960Gb m.2
Secondary Storage: 2x 256Gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD
WaterCooling: EK Supremacy CPU Block, EK Crosschill and Chipset Block, EK GTX1080 GPU Block and back plate, EK-xRes 140 D5 CSQ Acetal

This will be replaced/supplemented with:

Case: Jonsbo UMX4 Silver – Window version
PSU: Corsair SF750
Case Fans: 2x Noctua Chromax A12x15 120mm Fans, 5x Arctic Cooling P12 PST 120mm (Temp replacement till Noctua release Chomax A12x25)
WaterCooling: Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 240 V2 Radiator, XSPC TX240 Radiator, EK X3 64mm Reservoir tube, Replacement Supremacy Evo top and EK Supremacy Nickel plate, EK Cryofuel, Bitspower 16mm Rigid tubing, various Bitspower fittings, Bitspower Crystal Link 16mm tubing
Monitoring: BarrowCh Multimode OLED, Alphacool Flow Sensor
Lighting: Various LED

What should have been a simple transfer, ended up being a bit more complicated as I had a habit of unintentionally impulse buying watching/reading reviews on this and that. (OCUK must love me with the amount of orders I’ve been placing together with the sub £8.70 delivery charge.. probably over £100 worth in under 2 weeks). Thus I have ended up with multiples of same/similar items so I can choose what will work with this build or the 750D build. This may be an OTT build for what it's worth, but meh!

I'm not going to post pictures of what the original case looks like, there's plenty on Google images for that.

On with some pics of what i've done so far, while i wait for more stuff to arrive.. and when i can be arsed dismantling the 750D.

l6J23vx.jpg

Think i bought too many fittings for what i needed. Oh well, better to have too many than too little.
725y8CT.jpg.png

WE0LsHZ.jpg

SzzwUmN.jpg

Remove the HDD tray as i haven't used mechanical 3 1/2" drives since God knows when (excluding externals obviously). Unfortunately to do that, you need to dismantle the case fully as the bottom HDD tray is held on by 4 screws between the bottom tray and the outer aluminium shell. Annoying.
LqKvn3P.jpg

UXauQZ0.jpg

lhil6u6.jpg
30 or so screws later

tXxraPx.jpg

UXauQZ0.jpg
Binder clips were used in several places as i spent near enough 2 days working out measurements all over the place

kYNm6Zx.jpg

lfrscDH.jpg
No mobo needed. mockup using cardboard

Many have mentioned it being very difficult to attach a 30mm radiator and 25mm fans at the top of the case. Let's try it out. I have 15mm fans at the ready if i can't get it to work.
Ax4bHSf.jpg

LuXhm9G.jpg

IStO4uZ.jpg

bueVIoG.jpg

Dl8JCRX.jpg
Fan positions to be decided. Possibly have the bottoms fans in a Pull config while the tops fans underneath the top rad in a Push... or maybe a pull as shown above.. hmm. Trial and error needed.

QCM914A.jpg

kFBCpXb.jpg

iiuvi5Y.jpg

rx3LmOq.jpg
Not seen anyone do this yet. Put a radiator in between the bottom tray and outer shell? The XSPC TX240 radiator fits perfectly with a 10-15mm gap. I'll probably add a Demciflex filter to it so it will be easy to clean.

Oc9yLVK.jpg
Area to mark off where i can add the EK holders for the pump.

After viewing a Jonsbo owners thread elsewhere, gave me some inspiration of what was and was not possible with this case, so first thing to get rid of was the bottom fan grills as many have mentioned the fans increased sound due to them being so close the the grill.

f5xeZH6.jpg
mF28ghQ.jpg
Areas marked off and cut. I could've bolted the holders inside rather than the way i did it.. but i was tryying to be creative. Oh well. no-one is perfect, and won't be seen once everything is fitted anyways :p

ICYxC5i.jpg
Had to make one of the radiator holes bigger since it was a few mm off center :/

4I4Emmp.jpg

hGtYwQb.jpg
I had a couple of XSPC 240mm gaskets lying around, so use that to attach the radiator to the bottom. This should help reduce vibrations and leaks. Then used whats left of the gasket to make the tray look a bit cleaner

5nsrDPi.jpg

More goodies turned up, so replaced the brown Noctuas with a bunch of Arctic P12 and Phanteks ARGB rings... until Noctua release a black version of the A12.
KVFrGXv.jpg

MhAQZze.jpg

EwWHefQ.jpg

Bit of cable management.
MwKQUei.jpg

De795y3.jpg

qODAki6.jpg
Middle cable will connect to the BarrowCH flow meter

That's it for today. I plan to dismantle my 750D tomorrow.
8hDeS7w.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Not so much an update at the moment, ran out of Bitpower fittings (surprisingly) so more on order.. and had a rough time locating a leak in the setup... even with PTFE tape, the leak still existed. Turned out the Alphacool radiator had a broken threaded port on both sides and an RMA has been set with a replacement sourced elswhere. Seems like these radiators are going out of stock all over the place too quick.
tB2cR5Q.jpg

While that is being done, i cleaned out all of the waterblocks as residue built up after leaving the collant in there for more than a year.
NacXS8H.jpg
cnU8JKr.jpg
9RqAkaE.jpg

I do have a Plexi top i would have liked to add to my Supremacy waterblock, however the jet plates are not interchangable. Any have a Supremacy Evo waterblock on sale by any chance? Only after a J2/J3 Evo jet plate to fit an LGA1150. Have emailed EK and they don't stock them anymore :(

Contemplating on fitting a vertical mount into the build.. will be super tight if i can get this to fit... and whilst the riser cable is 220mm long, i need one less than 100mm, which is proving difficult.
bJo8h4S.jpg
dkb8gd1.jpg

Luckily i was able to fit a 30mm radiator with 25mm fans up top with ease, however as i had plans to include the Phanteks LED rings,that would not fit unless i removed the ROG armour off the motherboard. No harm, i can usxe the 15mm Noctua A12x15 i had in case this were to happen.
B7pxMEo.jpg
uV6PfH7.jpg

More updates hopefully tomorrow if my replacement radiator arrives

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Replacement radiator arrive, and so carried on with the build.

Radiator cleaned and air tested before remounting into the case. Redid all loops as they weren't straight enough. Replaced the long rod in the middle with hardline. Sticks out like a sore thumb, even if it won't be seen
vnxOWEd.jpg

Managed to find a 10cm riser cable from Amazon.. though it wasn't cheap so i'd be peeved if it doesnt work
xtFQt6R.jpg

And since the vertical mount sticks out quite a bit, needed a big enough spacer so the mount doesn't vibrate/wobble... so cut a 20mm by 30mm aluminium tube with opposite ends cut out for screwing in. Don't look pretty given my mediocre skills with the dremel, but will not be seen so i'm not fussed clearing that up
7siyxzc.jpg

nHB7nuN.jpg
dTdV6Iu.jpg

Case has a few nicks with the Sharpie so that will be sanded out/wiped at the end.

GPU added and spacer screwed in
TYDgSHc.jpg

BlYKQXK.jpg

vx76GEv.jpg

YoGyKLz.jpg

Currently leak testing all components before i start filling her up (ahem)... and do some cable management
9NLLZHP.jpg

Phanteks ARGB controller up top hidden in PSU compartment should i want to change LED effects
YQl3h50.jpg

Some pics while we wait. Also have a plexi waterblock on the way (hopefully) so the acetal CPU block will be replaced.
qwWgD7m.jpg
24Z0Cgo.jpg

0h1e5MI.jpg

PYmdojT.jpg

More pics hopefully tonight when i start pumping

Last edited:
Soldato
UMX1

Hacked to pieces, bought for total price of 15ish quid was missing all front I/O and psu bracket. i7 9700K GTX 1070Ti mini, 32Gb 3200mhz, Gigabyte Z390i Pro wifi and Noctua NH-C14, WD black 500gb NVME boot and 2tb Intel cheapo NVME on the rear. Had to drill in a USB 3 C port in front and added one to the back as one usb port was broken on mobo. Load temps prime 95 small fft is 89C, Cinebench 76C, Gaming etc.. low 60C Sticks to 4.6Ghz all cores like glue. Quiet and fairly powerful. Not a clean build due to not having a spare modular psu, cutting up metal to make a psu bracket and the routing of provided power cable etc.. also had to get a 180 degree adapter for the pcie 8 pin as it was too wide to close the case. Might do it better one day as i have the glass side panel as well but for now the metal non windowed will work. Obviously cut a ton off te back to get that heatsink in lol but the 9700k needs a good cooler. Was going to stick my 1080ti MSI in there but its got an Arctic acclerero 3 xtreme and i don't see that fitting, original cooler sucks so not going to degrade it back to that.
Only a HTPC though and not really going to do any games but will do some content creation and a lot of daily internet usage hence the fast cpu.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom