Jumpers

Associate
Hi all

Right where is the easyest place to get some jumpers I have two HDD with no jumpers.

I am not very happy really I have just made an order for £600 from OcUK this morning, so I thought ah I know just ask um to chuck us a couple of jumpers in with my order they should have a load of spares and its not like they cost out.

But well they would not do that for me so I could do with knowing how to get a hold of some.

Cheers John

Associate
Have u tried other electronics stores?

I know of one that sells a pack of 10, but i don't know if OcUK consider them a competitor or not, so it prevents me from posting the web address.......MSN me or something and i will reply

Associate
OP
Yeah I found some cheers. :)

There not as easy to get your hands on as you would think in the UK not unless you want a bag of 100.

Soldato
I always take the jumpers off old dead boards and drives etc, if anyone needs literally one or two here and there then paypal the p&p costs to me and i'll be happy to send them via royalmail.

Soldato
johneva said:
Hi all

Right where is the easyest place to get some jumpers I have two HDD with no jumpers.

I am not very happy really I have just made an order for £600 from OcUK this morning, so I thought ah I know just ask um to chuck us a couple of jumpers in with my order they should have a load of spares and its not like they cost out.

But well they would not do that for me so I could do with knowing how to get a hold of some.

Cheers John

You sure you need jumpers though? Most harddrives nowadays don't require any setting to be changed via jumpers. 'No jumpers' might even the cable select on an IDE drive, which is what you want anyway.

Associate
OP
I am not sure mate it is my first build and I have not got all the bits yet to get started properly. I was just going though the bits I had already got and notice there was no jumpers in the 2 Western Digital 74Gig raptors I had got.

I did not know you could run them without jumpers so dont have a clue if they are needed or not I just assumed they did. I also need to find out what setting it should be if there needed to as the case has nothing on it and I got nothing else with the HDDs. I am starting to think I should have bought brand new instead of reconditioned ones ah well. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I assume your 74GB Raptors are SATA ones? If so just plug the sata cable into each one and then on cable into the sata 1 connector on ** mobo and then the second cable into your sata 2 connector. If they are IDE then they should have a diagram on them saying where the jumper goes for slave, master, cable select. As someone says if it says you don't need a jumper for cable select then your fine. Basically depending where you put them on the IDE cable will determine if there c or d.

Soldato
WD SATA drives are shipped from the factory either with or
without a jumper shunt in the spread spectrum clocking (SSC)
enable/disable position (on pins 1 and 2). It is not necessary
to add or remove the jumper shunt on the drive for
workstation/desktop use. For enterprise storage enviroments, use
the following advanced settings:
SSC Mode (Default 1): spread spectrum clocking feature enabled
or disabled. Default 1 setting is disabled or jumper shunt placed
on pins 1–2. Removing the jumper enables the spread spectrum
clocking feature.
SSC Mode (Default 2): spread spectrum clocking feature enabled
or disabled. Default 2 setting is disabled or no jumper shunt
placed on pins 1–2. Adding the jumper to pins 1–2 enables the
spread spectrum clocking feature.

My system BIOS has a spread spectrum clocking setting that I can enable. What is spread spectrum clocking and how does it relate to my WD Serial ATA hard drive?

Answer
Description of Spread Spectrum Clocking:

Computer electronics utilize “clocks” that alternate electricity to synchronize bits of data as they move from one circuit in a device to another. Similar to radio waves, these “clocks” have a certain frequency of energy radiated that can interfere with another device in the vicinity. This radiation is referred to as electromagnetic interference, or EMI.

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulates broadcast emissions, such as radio and TV, as well as EMI emissions that may interfere with them. Computer and other electronic devices must meet certain requirements to limit the level of EMI they radiate. The design of a device must be changed to meet these requirements or be in violation of FCC regulations. The concept of spread-spectrum clocking is gaining popularity as a simple way to lower EMI, which is becoming more severe as processors and their “clocks” increase in speed. This method is an alternative to major design changes, which may be costly and require limiting the performance of a device. Spread-spectrum clocking speeds up and slows down the clock within a few percent of its target frequency, thus flattening out the EMI peak by spreading it across a range of frequencies.

Fluctuating the clocking speed must be tolerated by other circuits and devices involved, otherwise the devices lose their synchronization and may not communicate properly. As long as the devices are synchronized, they will communicate properly without it being necessary to lower the clocking frequency, which in turn lowers performance.

The effect of Spread Spectrum Clocking on drive/computer performance:

Spread-spectrum clocking does nothing more than help a device lower its emissions to meet FCC regulations. A computer may not need spread-spectrum clocking enabled to pass FCC regulations. Having spread spectrum clocking enabled does not affect performance. However, it requires that other devices involved tolerate fluctuating the clocking. If your Serial ATA controller or controller card do not support SSC, you should leave the jumper shunt on your WD Serial ATA drive in the SSC disabled position.

Back
Top Bottom