Jumping into VR, what to get?

Permabanned
Hey Chaps,

Have a couple of spare coins that I'm looking to spend to get into some VR gaming, not sure what headset to get though. I've got a decently powered gaming PC as well as space to move around a little bit if I move my PC into the living room.

In terms of what games I'll be wanting to play... No idea. I've not really had a good go with VR before but I'm a lover of gaming in general but with nothing new out that interests me (cept CK3!!) figured I can jump into VR and play some stuff there.

From what I can tell, we've got the following on offer:

Rift S - £400, latest reviews are just all about the Facebook integration, whilst is damned crappy, it's not enough to put me off it (I have to use FB for my job anyway...).
Valve Index - £950, pretty pricey and has a 8+ week wait for a kit.
Hp G2 - Not out yet and will likely need a pricey GPU to go with it (current is 1080).

So... if I want to get into it this weekend, my only choice is a Rift S just wondering if anyone can tell me if it is worth waiting for one of the other two.

Thanks,
Grady

Soldato
If you want to get into it this weekend then what can you get hold of in just 1 week? Probably only rift s or quest.

Otherwise you have to wait. But G2 and index will be much better visually. Index needs external tracking stations, G2 doesnt. Index more expensive, G2 better display but slightly lower field of view. Have a look on youtube for some side by side tests.

If you go for a G2 it leaves a few hundred quid room for a future gpu upgrade compared to the price of the index. Id say a new gpu would be beneficial with either of those headsets although they would both run on that card on low/mid settings I would say (cant say 100% as i dont own either).

Choice of games is huge. Shooters, driving sims, flight sims. If you dont already have them you'll be wanting to budget for a wheel for driving games and a stick for flight sims as well.

I have a quest which works standalone and with pc but am planning to get a g2 for pc use because of the visuals. Facebook integration for me on the quest has been no more than registering with the same account, thats all, so not really an issue, not sure what the fuss is about.

Last edited:
Soldato
You wouldn't be disappointed with the Rift S. Excellent tracking. Doesn't require as powerful hardware as some others to get good framerate whilst surpassing the "good enough" point for image quality for me.

Soldato
Facebook will be announcing new VR hardware on the 15th. Probably a new Quest, but also there's the possibility of new PC hardware.

Associate
Have you considered second hand, from known online retailers?

I initially purchased a Vive Cosmos, approximately 2-3 months ago, but with it having terrible low light tracking performance, I quickly returned it.

I have ordered a Reverb G2, for delivery next month, apparently its going to be an amazing upgrade.
But in the interm I purchased a second hand Vive Pro, for half the rrp, beautiful colour reproduction, excellent hand/head tracking, and almost knew, to tide me over.

Now I just have to decide which headset to keep, and eventually buy a new GFX card.. :)

As for games, I'd recommend:
VTOL VR
Pavlova vr
Arizona Sunshine
Blade and Sorcery

Back
Top Bottom