1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just found the most INSANE stress test application

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by rexehuk, 15 Apr 2010.

1. rexehuk

Mobster

A stress test better than IBT / Prime95?

Just been doing a little MD5 cracking on here and came across a bruteforce tool called MDCrack 1.8. Runs in DOS and my god it stresses your machine 2/3x as bad as IBT or Prime95. Rendered my machine basically unusable during the time its running.

Worth generating an MD5 and trying to crack it, something 9-10 chars would stress test your PC for a good few days. Keep a watch on the temps, they went the highest I've seen...

Hopefully recommending this isn't against the rules! To run the app use:

MDCrack-sse --algorithm=md5 MD5HASHHERE

This brought a i7 @ 3.8Ghz to it's knees!

Last edited: 15 Apr 2010
  2. pjansell

Gangster

Prime executes on your cores only when they're sitting in an idle loop with nothing to do, the prime process has a very low priority meaning if another job comes along (i.e you launch a program, or move your mouse for example) the scheduler will give this to the processor (or another idle core if you have one) to work on shelving the prime process until it finishes, meaning you can use your machine while prime is running and everything feels quite responsive.

Being a brute force cracker, this program has been designed (or badly coded) to hog processor time any way that it can, meaning there is little time available for other processes to jump on the processor and do what they need to do, which is why your machine is unresponsive.

I doubt it'd stress your processor anymore than prime would, if anything the opposite - both programs peg the cores at 100% doing complex calculations, the difference being one releases the processor for other tasks when needed, and the other doesn't.

3. FunnyKids

Associate

If you want a program that freeze your PC :D I can easily create one for you, or any bad programmer can ^^. I think the reason why people use prime, is not just because it stress your CPU, but it also can check the return value, and know when the CPU start going wrong.

4. Azuse05

Wise Guy

Prime blend and IBT check their answers off against the correct ones :)

5. Guest2

Capodecina

The best program I ever made was in VB when I was in college, it opened calculator about 10,000 times a second. This brought all machines to their knees after a second! I'm sure it would work now but maybe take 5 seconds instead of 1

6. reflux

Capodecina

Interesting - I always wondered why my PC was so responsive when Prime was running.

7. rumble291

Gangster

Interesting. Yeah same i thought when 100% you cant use you PC, oh i was wrong lol. OCCT is the same then? Im guessing?

8. pjansell

Gangster

I would guess so, i don't use OCCT - basically 100% load means your cores are being fully utilized and their instruction queues are full, the order in which those instructions are ordered and given processor time depends on the priority of the originating program/process.

9. setter

Caporegime

Mine is also pretty responsive when using prime, LinX however is a different matter, with max ram allocated the system becomes a lot more sluggish.

10. PanMaster

Wise Guy

There is no single best test programme. AoE3 > OCCT > IBT > Prime95
    Prime is easy to pass while Age of empires 3 can BSOD on IBT stable clocks.
    Even then, I'm not aware of any way to test SSE4 instructions or similar.

11. demonfatality

Gangster

ive ran prime 95 memtest and played WIC with no hiccups

12. rexehuk

Mobster

Thanks for replies guys.

I still stand strong that it is a very stressful application to run. I could just about run MSN with it running :p.

I by no means was trying to imply that IBT and Prime95 are bad! I use them myself. But this app may provide more, as it is really pushing it to the limit (I know the others do!)

Rgds,

Rob

13. Jokester

Don

You can get the same effect in Prime if you increase its priority.

14. Phatzy

Wise Guy

when i saw MD5 crack, i fought he was on about the MD5 tool hack for cod series lol.

15. rexehuk

Mobster

CHEATER! :p

Well yeah, while I did post this for stress testing (which it does well) it is also an extremely fast bruteforce tool. Worth MD5ing your passwords and then see how long they take to crack. Can never be too careful :D

16. pjansell

Gangster

Depends on how long you're running prime for, a couple of hours on prime is fairly easy to obtain - personally i'd go with prime over any of those others you've listed, especially AOE3 and OCCT but again it's all horses for courses isn't it.

17. jordan282

Hitman

i still think intel burn test is the best obviously not for AMD

18. nightwish

Hitman

I don't quite understand - MD5 is a hashing algorithm, not encryption, so what exactly is this app doing? :confused: