Just gave blood again, do you?

Man of Honour
I'm on 10 now, though I'd of been probably more if I learnt what I did on my last donation "attempt". It was an attempt cause I registered 117 on iron and the min cap is 135 so was refused donation and banned for a year :(

The nurse then went on to tell me my bloods extra special because I've never had a virus called CMV and so I'm classed as neo rr, meaning my blood is used specifically for new borns and baby's who have no immune system.

I've been banned for life after 87 donations because I had a TIA :(

My youngest daughter has the same blood for new borns.

Associate
I've been banned for life after 87 donations because I had a TIA :(

My youngest daughter has the same blood for new borns.

AHH no :( that does sound a lot more serious than low iron. 87 donations is a lot you can hang your Cape up with pride at that figure. Unfortunate you couldn't hit 100! Can you not donate platelets?

I never really thought they would be difficult. I always seen neo on my bag but thought I was just in a lottery for mine to be the bags used for baby's I never know it was so specific

Associate
I have AB+ blood and have given a few times - however given we're universal accepters (we can get any blood from anyone) but can only donate to our own kind there isn't much demand. I was stood down many years ago and never went back. I think they are still not wanting any female AB+ blood!

Man of Honour
I've had to cancel the 2 I had booked for this month 1st one I felt rough and then yesterdays was booked just round the corner from work so I was going to go in and work from the office but the snow put a stop to that 100 mile round trip.

Rebooked for March now.

Man of Honour
Congrats :)

The nurse then went on to tell me my bloods extra special because I've never had a virus called CMV and so I'm classed as neo rr, meaning my blood is used specifically for new borns and baby's who have no immune system. I feel quite proud of that even though it's fluke, my blood is used to help some of the most fragile beings who can only have my type of blood. There's no chance I'll stay CMV and around 80% of people usually have it by 34 (I'm 33 now) so time is running out for me to benefit that specific group.

I'm nearly 60 and I'm still CMV-negative. It's written in big letters on my folder.

Soldato
It's something I've always wanted to do but have never gotten around to it. I'd take blood in a heartbeat if I required it so I should be just as willing to give it away I just don't think they'd want my blood.

I must look into it really

Soldato
Donated my 3rd whole blood on Friday, only started last year, was in and out within 30 minutes, took 5 minutes and 24 seconds to fill the bag this time which they said was quick.

I’m O+ so nothing special but at least useful.

Associate
I'm ot a tin hat person but I've considered what this may meanwith regards to covid, vaccines and if this will cause some risk to newborns and babies with low immune systems having the blood with the vaccine, like it does with CMV if you've ever had it; though that is contracting the virus and not a vaccine. I might be overthinking but I'm waiting on a call back from the blood team to discuss my query as I don't want to jeapodise my blood being so useful

I got a call back from someone senior at bloods and was told that having the vaccine will not affect or danger babies with no antibodies who were to have my blood. He went on to explain in greater detail but it all went over my head.

Soldato
I need to get booked in again, though I’m not long due to get my second dose covid vaccine so I’ve been holding off making a booking. I think my next donation will take me to at least 55, I’ll need to check when I’m next in.

Back
Top Bottom