Just gave blood again, do you?

Soldato
This thread reminded me that I actually had an issue with my iron on that float test thing few donations back, they did a further test and everything was normal there so went ahead.

Never issue since then and even had my iron check via a private blood test with everything being tip top, wonder if it was just a "faulty" solution.

Commissario
I had that a few donations ago, they said that they'd had an increase of the number of people where that happened and they thought it might be some residual hand sanitiser being picked up when they sucked up the blood to drip in the tube.

Man of Honour
This thread reminded me that I actually had an issue with my iron on that float test thing few donations back, they did a further test and everything was normal there so went ahead.

Never issue since then and even had my iron check via a private blood test with everything being tip top, wonder if it was just a "faulty" solution.

Weirdly, your blood floats if the iron levels are too high, as well as too low. Or the solution has been use too long (it gets changed midday), or it's just in that mood. But the proper machine is about a £5 a test, so that's for emergencies.

Soldato
Pretty sure the machine they had was set to g/L, not g/dL but basically same result bar the decimal point, magnet thing would be cool though :D

Associate
Pint number 52 of O- donated last week. Nearly failed the iron test which is a surprise as I'm taking multi vits now. Guessing the hand sanitiser messed with it as the staff member wasn't stressed. Few covid questions about testing as I said I'd been tested (routine tests twice a week for work). All pretty slick and smooth. Just want them to use the English system where they tell you when and where your blood is used as we don't get that in Wales

FluffySheep

Commissario
Oh I’m surprised you don’t get that.

My last pint travelled all the way from here to the usual place in London then it came all the way back and was given to someone just thirty miles up the road.

Man of Honour
Pint number 52 of O- donated last week. Nearly failed the iron test which is a surprise as I'm taking multi vits now.

FluffySheep

First of all: well done on getting over 50. Second of all: as I said earlier, if your iron is high, the drop test will still fail. In England at least they then break out the expensive machine for an actual Hb number, which usually passes with ease.

Associate
First of all: well done on getting over 50. Second of all: as I said earlier, if your iron is high, the drop test will still fail. In England at least they then break out the expensive machine for an actual Hb number, which usually passes with ease.

Not too sure what the policy is in Wales but the way the staff member was looks like it's common now. Double bonus is I get the red tag on my blood marking it as prem baby blood as it's cmv negative

FluffySheep

Associate
Apparently I'm O- & 'neonatal'. If I don't re-book as soon as I've given, my phone rings off the hook. Vampires I tell you :D
Good to feel like I'm helping anyway....

Associate
Would like to but they wont use mine as medical condition :(

Join the club, although mine isn't technically a medical condition (not in the traditional sense anyway). Would reiterate that I would be glad help out, but those with G6PD aren't welcome unless you do their special setup, which if I remember correctly reading, takes more time and not everywhere offers it? Anyway, currently a buffer/barrier for my parent who's house bound and the outside world, who's reliant on me. So wouldn't take any risk doing anything at this time anyway. But always admiring of others who are able and offers. :)

Soldato
Donation 55 done today. Just checked my letter and I’m also CMV negative, hadn’t really realised the importance of that until I read through comments above.

Soldato
Haven't been able to donate platelets for years now. They stopped doing platelets at the main donor centre which is 1.5miles from where I am, if I wanted to carry on doing them it would be a 210 mile round trip. Shame, as I used to do triple donations for platelets (only counts as one donation ;) ). So it's been back to whole blood donations ever since.

Soldato
I was due to donate plasma due to being part of a study on having covid antibodies, but it was cancelled and I'll just be donating plasma on the same date because plasma.

First go at donating blood / plasma / anything of any sort like that, so will be interested to see how it goes. Been meaning to do it for years, but finally got round to it. I have to go from Weston-super-Mare to Southmead though, so that's a bit of a drive!

Back
Top Bottom