Just gave blood again, do you?

Associate
Whoops, I arrived to give blood today and it transpires if you had the vaccine within the past 7 days you can't! To be fair if I'd done a deep dive on the website I would've seen that but I think they should make that a little more prominent, I can't have been the only one.

I did the exact same today. You would think that they would make it clear you need to wait a week after getting the vaccine considering every single potential donor in the UK will probably be getting vaccinated. There was nothing on the letter or on the appointment booking website. Pretty peed off about it considering it isn't a small trip to the donation center.

Commissario
Very frustrated.

Just got home from a failed session. I saw a doctor a couple of weeks ago, had a blood test and am on new medication.

I’m completely discharged and the tablets I’m on are on their ‘perfectly ok’ list but because I’ve been on them for less than four weeks, they won’t let me donate.

I made a point of checking everything on the web site because I knew that having seen a doctor, had a test etc that I’d have to speak to the nurse. Nowhere online does it mention this. If I’d known, I’d have cancelled it and someone else would have taken my slot.

It didn’t help that they were running well over an hour late either. What a waste of time and effort.

Commissario
In response to the posts above by @lovelyhead and @PureAppleJuice I’ve had the following text three times in the last week.

“Please wait 7 full days from your Covid vaccine before donating from the 8th day. If you had any side-effects from the vaccine please wait 28 days from recovery”

Do you have your mobile numbers on your blood account? If not, perhaps you should add them so you get notices like this.

Associate
In response to the posts above by @lovelyhead and @PureAppleJuice I’ve had the following text three times in the last week.

“Please wait 7 full days from your Covid vaccine before donating from the 8th day. If you had any side-effects from the vaccine please wait 28 days from recovery”

Do you have your mobile numbers on your blood account? If not, perhaps you should add them so you get notices like this.

Yes they have my number. They sent me a reminder yesterday but it said nothing about vaccinations. I'm in Scotland by the way. There are probably loads of people being turned away because of this Hopefully they realize that being more forthright about the vaccination issue would save them missing out on a lot of blood.

Commissario
Maybe Scotland are doing things differently, I have no idea. It's not exactly hidden on the web site though, there's a banner for the Coronavirus update and it's the second thing on that page.

That doesn't make things better for either of you though, I do understand your frustration, especially after my wasted time today.

Associate
Maybe Scotland are doing things differently, I have no idea. It's not exactly hidden on the web site though, there's a banner for the Coronavirus update and it's the second thing on that page.

That doesn't make things better for either of you though, I do understand your frustration, especially after my wasted time today.

gVKApZY.jpg

It is pretty easy to miss if you are not looking for it. I just opened the page and clicked straight on log in to book my appointment as I usually do. There should be a more in your face warning.

Associate

Yeah definitely didn't receive anything by text - and in fact it was a text I received from them which made me book a session to give blood! Nevermind - not a big deal as I didn't have to walk far. Will try and catch them next time.

Commissario
After two failed sessions (see post #1144) and then one cancelled last week due to staffing problems, I finally managed donation #15 yesterday evening. I know it's still a long way behind most people in here but at least I'm doing my bit.

I managed to book one at very short notice at a location I've not been to before. It was the same team as usual and it was a much nicer place. Although it's half an hour away, I think I'll look for bookings there rather than the local one in future.

Soldato
Nice one Feek.

I had to cancel my plasma appointment last week because I developed a cough, and I now have to wait until 28 days after symptoms have cleared, which they haven't quite done yet.

Soldato
I gave one pint of blood. On giving blood, my arm had a horrible pulsating pain going up and down my arm and had pins n needles. Plus dripping with sweat. Couldn't use my (blood letting) arm much for rest of day and didn't fully recover until two days later.

My father reacted in a similar way. He thought the experience was a one off and donated a 2nd pint 3-4 months later. He reacted the same. Wonder why/what my father and myself reacted like this?

It's a shame really as my mum was able to give 60-65 pints before getting cancer.

Back
Top Bottom