Just got a new 2070 Super and FPS is lower

Associate
Just got myself a 2070 super to replace my 1060 and the FPS is lower on some games, like planet zoo and it does not seem to be giving me much of a difference in other games.

i7-4770k overclocked to 4.49/1.5 i think
ASUS Maximus VI Hero Motherboard
GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Team Group Elite Vulcan 8GB (2X8GB) DDR3 RAM/ so 16 gb total
And i have a 256 gb SSD for windows a regualr 1TB hard drive and another 1TB SSD.

Soldato
What monitor do you have, what resolution is it and what framerates are you getting? Have you got v-sync turned on? Also, what are you using to measure framerates?

Associate
OP
I have 2 monitors, 1 is a Asus VG258 164hz 1920x1080 and a 4k LG monitor running at 1920x1080 as my secondary monitor. On TW 3 kingdoms im getting like 50 but i think that is getting a slight increase and on PLanet zoo im getting like 36 and i was getting 36 with my old card too. (with a big zoo) Ive checked my cpu usage and its like 100% sometimes but im not sure whether its bottling. and v sync is off. Using msi afterburner and also nvidias own fps counter on and off.

Associate
Try I stalling hardware monitor pro trial it will register min max and avg of all components.

Check if your card is reaching the posted speeds etc what ram cou and vram are being used.

Has geforce experience set the settings for you?

Associate
Might be worth trying a few other games top, Planet Zoo (just like Planet Coaster) is incredibly hard to get a good frame rate out off. It's normally just CPU bound not GPU, something to do with relying on a single CPU core for DX11 calls.

Soldato
Might be worth trying a few other games top, Planet Zoo (just like Planet Coaster) is incredibly hard to get a good frame rate out off. It's normally just CPU bound not GPU, something to do with relying on a single CPU core for DX11 calls.

Have noticed the same when playing Planet coaster. When dropping in a pre-built coaster it hammers the CPU and takes a while to load and display all the individual components (lots of pop-ins).

Seems to heavily rely on CPU as the FPS I saw using a Quadro P620 wasn't far off the FPS I saw when using a GTX 1080.

Associate
OP
It just feels like my CPU usage is higher than normal, would that mean my CPU can't handle the new GPU? Even Overwatch isnt giving me 250fps, its giving me 164fps? I have no idea whats going on

Soldato
It just feels like my CPU usage is higher than normal, would that mean my CPU can't handle the new GPU? Even Overwatch isnt giving me 250fps, its giving me 164fps? I have no idea whats going on

I have 2 monitors, 1 is a Asus VG258 164hz 1920x1080 and a 4k LG monitor running at 1920x1080 as my secondary monitor. On TW 3 kingdoms im getting like 50 but i think that is getting a slight increase and on PLanet zoo im getting like 36 and i was getting 36 with my old card too. (with a big zoo) Ive checked my cpu usage and its like 100% sometimes but im not sure whether its bottling. and v sync is off. Using msi afterburner and also nvidias own fps counter on and off.

A 4770K paired with a 2070 Super won't deal well with some games, especially at 1080p. But the 164 figure seems too much of a coincidence. Some fps cap or Vsync (in Nvidia Control Panel and/or in-game) or something. I'd double and triple-check that to make sure.

Associate
OP
I have it OC to 4.5ghz, other than that i dont really understand the ins and outs of what the newer CPU's offer, i know they must do more but its just knowing ill have to upgrade motherboard and RAM too, which will be a big hit on cost again. i know my settings on those are as they used to be, uncapped and none v sync enabled. I only bought this card on the suggestion for an upgrade and now im sort of wondering if it was a waste of money

Permabanned
Forget 1080p with that GPU and CPU ideally, try 1440p on the 4k screen or Nvidia DSR 1440p on the 1080p screen and see if it improves and if so its CPU bottlenecking but I have had this issue swapping GPU's and so did someone here recently.

Did you DDU the old GPU before installing new GPU?

Permabanned
Does not matter as I and others have found out and just the way Windows can act up at times, you can end up with no performance gain or even worst performance going to an even faster GPU (even Nvidia to Nvidia or AMD to AMD).

It has happened to me twice in the past and nothing worked bar a clean install of Windows (last resort).

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Regarding the FPS counters I was using in game or the ones inside geforce experience. After testing I think the FPS generally is higher on most games but some are lower such as Overwatch. The main thing I've been focusing on is CPU usage during my normal usage. I tend to have a game on the 165hz monitor and a YouTube video or twitch stream on the 4k monitor. (With 1920x1080 resolution) I noticed with my previous card that game FPS would drop with watching anything in 1080p on a game such as planet zoo. A High CPU usage game. But drop it down to 720p and it would be slightly better in game with 0 stuttering in the video. Obviously if I close the browser and just play the games I get more fps.But i could have sworn I never used to have any issue playing and watching anything at the same time. Even the most intense games. So should I just suck it up with the thought process of having to upgrade everything else around my gpu, or is a complete format and reinstallation of windows my best bet to see exactly what my setup is capable of. I'll give the 1440p a go on my monitors, however if there is no improvement then what should I consider doing at that point. Thanks everyone who's chimed in with help so far.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Now i have something else that im worried about, I re installed windows and now my computer has a black screen with a blinking white dash in the top left corner for a few seconds, then it boots up but its much slower than it used to be.

Soldato
Now i have something else that im worried about, I re installed windows and now my computer has a black screen with a blinking white dash in the top left corner for a few seconds, then it boots up but its much slower than it used to be.
Have you installed all the individual drivers yet - chipset, lan, GPU etc?

Soldato
Have you tried flashing to the latest BIOS? - quite a number of the versions list 'System Stability' in the description - one may relate to PCIE compatibility/functionality with newer cards.

Back
Top Bottom