Just got back from sealing the deal on my first car!

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Richdog said:
Doees no power steering make a big difference? Never driven a car without it. :)
A bit yeah, mainly when it comes to things that need a lot of steering like parking. Don't really notice it when just going round corners because it's such a small car but for parking in tight spaces, it's a bit of extra effort. Probably wouldn't be for stronger people than me but I'm weak as anything anyway :o Really it's just something you get used to with time.
I'd take a car with power steering over one without of course ;) But I couldn't afford it and I got a good deal anyway. :)

Soldato
Good choice of car, although the Phase 3 Clio (which you have) has the bug eye lights, but you can always change them :D

As for wheels, i agree with Evo, go for some Phase 1 Clio 16v Turbines or a set of Williams alloys, but refurb them in a different colour; white looks nice.

Have look around on Ebay for the wheels, should be under £100 for the Turbines or about £200ish for the Williams wheels.

You car has 75Bhp btw, it's the earlier straight port Energy lumps that produce 80Bhp. Also your car is heavier than a Phase 1 so it's 0-60 is higher. Top speed is around 107Mph 'real speed' but you can see 120+Mph on the clocks if you find a long enough piece of road.

Main differences between an RL and RT are the colour coded bumpers, front foglights, interior and electric windows.

On the subject of speakers, imo you get what you pay for. As I always suggest, go to your nearest halfords and have a play with there audio wall thingy and find some speakers that suit your needs.

Anything else you want to know about Clios just ask.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Hi mate nice to hear from a renault-guru! What do you mean my version is the bug headlights? Mine is still the old version I thinkm wasn't it the newer 1998 model/shape that had the bugs or am I on the wrong track?

75BHP is fine for me as it stands, my insurance/wallet couldn't take anything meatier. I guess at 120mph it would be almost falling apart though? Probably take about 5 mins to get there too. :D

I will scour Ebay for alloys, want to pay £200 max so will have to keep a beady eye in the auctions for somnething good. Im not painting them any other colour though lol, anything other than silver looks daft on a silver car in my opinion!

What kind of non boy-racerish mods could I get away with doing to the car then? :)

Associate
As far as I'm aware, it's anything that changes the car from the factory/original specification, but I'm not entirely sure. I'm sure the older guys on here have a better understanding and can explain it better than me. :)

Soldato
Richdog said:
Hi mate nice to hear from a renault-guru! What do you mean my version is the bug headlights? Mine is still the old version I thinkm wasn't it the newer 1998 model/shape that had the bugs or am I on the wrong track?

75BHP is fine for me as it stands, my insurance/wallet couldn't take anything meatier. I guess at 120mph it would be almost falling apart though? Probably take about 5 mins to get there too. :D

I will scour Ebay for alloys, want to pay £200 max so will have to keep a beady eye in the auctions for somnething good. Im not painting them any other colour though lol, anything other than silver looks daft on a silver car in my opinion!

What kind of non boy-racerish mods could I get away with doing to the car then? :)

Yeah yours is still a Mk1, but they had three different 'Phases' of the Mk1 Clio and on the Phase 3 which you have they changed (as well as other things) the front headlights so that the indicators and fron lights are all one unit, they also have a more curvy shape and the bonnet also curves over the lights.

The Phase 1 and 2 lights, imo look better, but to have Phase 1/2 lights you also need a Phase 1/2 bonnet :)

Ah didn't know it was silver, thought it was red for some reason :/ lol

Yeah agree that anything other would look stupid. Well the Williams wheels are gold with a diamond cut rim to them but you could get them sprayed silver which I've seen or fully polished and they look very nice.

As for mods you're best off getting a few basic 'breathing' mods. First thing would be a de-cat. This replaces you Catalytic convertor and helps the egnine rev more freely. Also replace the standard air filter with an ITG panel filter. These filters replace your exisitng filter in your OE airbox but let more air through. Wont make a huge difference but it should be more responsive.

the de-cat will deffo make a difference though, but you will want to keep your Catalytic convertor just in case, for MoT time.

Then you can move onto things like getting the engine head ported and polished, fitting a larger TB, engine re-map etc etc.

I've got an interesting link to a car identical to yours having it's head ported and polsihed. makes a good read tbh.

I'll post it up if you want.

Tbh though I'd keep the standard backbox or replace it with a standard Clio RSi/16v/Williams bacbox and then do the filter and de-cat.

:)

Caporegime
OP
Would the car fail the MOT if you got it de-catted? What does it replace it with?

Please post the link to that other renault eould be interesting to see. :)

Soldato
The de-cat is just a straight through pipe that bolts in place of your existing cat.

Tbh I'm 100% sure if it NEEDS a cat for the MoT. I don't know if it's a legal requirement or anything. If your car's in good nick apparently it should pass without one. But an MoT only comes once a year so you can have it de-catted for 364 days of the year :)

Oh and I can't find the link to the other Clio, seems it's gone off the forum it was on :(

Soldato
Richdog said:
I'll also be sticking some alloys on there as I think they'll improve the look a lot over the regular boring ones, and I need to get a decent in-car CD system too.

So gents, care to give me some reccommendations on:

a) Inexpensive yet decent looking alloys.

b) Inexpensive yet decent CD/Radio.

:)

How about going for a cat1 alarm and immobiliser before you get alloys and stereo setup..... My girlfriend has had 2 renault clios and both were stolen, she didnt even ever have stuff on show in her car! Guess they're easy to get into if you know how.

It may even make your insurance cheaper.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Ultra_Extreme said:
Clios.............suck.............balls............end

I picked it up last night it's a very nice drive and also very comfortable. No offence but please keep the negative kiddy comments to yourself and find another thread to stick them in, or at least provide clear and detailed reasons for why in your opinion they suck balls when in many others opinions including car reviewers they clearly don't. Showing a bit of maturity, and respect for someone who's just bought one and is happy about it wouldn't go amiss eh?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom