Just got back from sealing the deal on my first car!

Soldato
Richdog said:
Guys got a question: what size tyres can the clio 1997 1.4 rt support without modification, is it 16"/17"? :)

I assume you mean wheels.

17's will fit but will look crap.

Best off with some 14" RSi wheels.

Originally Posted by Ultra_Extreme
Clios.............suck.............balls.......... ..end

Yes and that's why they're one of the best selling super minis ever.

Permabanned
Hey leave my ball sucking mother out of this.

Clios with the exception of the 'special' models are slow and boring to drive
The steering is lifeless
The acceleration is all but non existent in any gear especially in 1.4's
They look horrific like a punto humped a fiesta
The interior is cheap plastic and tacky
Handling is crap

Enough or you want more?

Associate
Ultra_Extreme said:

The steering is lifeless
Handling is crap

Enough or you want more?

Its a cheap french runabout, what do you expect?

Soldato
As for those ebay alloys, they seem a bit cheap and cheerful so are likely to be made of a quite soft metal.

I still think in almost all circumstances OEM alloys seem to suit cars the best. Well certain styles anyway.

Caporegime
OP
Ultra_Extreme said:

The steering is lifeless
Handling is crap

Enough or you want more?

For a first car it's not slow or boring to drive, the handling is very light and responsive and whacks round corners easily, it's fun to drive. Lifeless it is not.

Acceleration is fine for a first car, budget and insurance dictates I can't get anything bigger.

I like the looks and so do lots of other people in the world so that's your personal opinion and a completely moot point.

Interior isn't great but then it's 1997 and it was an inexpensive car... so duh.

Handling isn't crap, see above.

To be honest though, regardless of your actual age, from the way you talk you sound like a kid, so don't take great offence if I don't take much notice of your "sucks balls" comments lol. :)

FincH said:
Yes and that's why they're one of the best selling super minis ever.

How DARE you some inject logic into this thread! :p

Tesla said:
As for those ebay alloys, they seem a bit cheap and cheerful so are likely to be made of a quite soft metal.

I still think in almost all circumstances OEM alloys seem to suit cars the best. Well certain styles anyway.

Yeah they do look a bit iffy, do halfords sell alloys just out of interest? I'm going to get a CD/MP3 player today so i'll have a gander at what they've got. :)

Got to say though I am loving this car, coming from the diesel mondeo it's like a breath of fresh air! Fun to drive, nippy, and silver... all it needs now are alloys and a decent CD player, as well as a few other tasteful additions i'm going to make to smarten it up.

Is it worth getting a cat 1 alarm fitted?

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Decided i'm getting this stereo the Kenwood KDC-W6031 http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pro...d=4110&cadid=82c3f9f6b1bcdc166baafdf18d2347fb

b_kdcw6031.jpg

Just got scratch filler kit so am going to start preparing them for a nice touch-up therapy session. :)

Soldato
Radio looks good. Only thing is how do you skip mp3 tracks, and how do you skip folders.

On my JVC I've got a next and previous track button AND and up and down folders buttons.

We got a Clarion for my gf's car and its a nightmare. To skip folders you have to push the volume button in once and then turn the knob up and down to change folders. Sounds easy, however if you press it twice (very easy to do with the car moving ), its into alphabetical search mode, and every time you press the knob you select a letter, so you can't just keep pressing it to get back to skip folder, you have to just leave it for a few seconds, wait for it to do the alphabetical search. Grrrrrrrrrr.

Caporegime
OP
Just out of interest is it worth getting a Cat 1 alarm fitted, and if so how much do they cost?

Just ordered some alloys and all I have left to buy now are:

*Seat covers
*Rear spolier (discreet one)
*Renault tax disc

:)

Soldato
Bug One said:
Radio looks good. Only thing is how do you skip mp3 tracks, and how do you skip folders.
I've got a similar unit.

The button on the right is actually a little joystick, pushing it right or left lets you skip tracks, and pushing it up or down lets you skip folders :)

Caporegime
OP
jpmonkey69 said:
Which alloy wheels? Pics at all?

Get a Magnex Tax disk holder from Halfords. :)

Well I know I posted them earlier and they got slammed but it's these ones http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8030574770&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

I've done some research and they are a good make, Dezent, they are usually £350+ for the alloys alone, and when you factor in that the tyres are almost brand-new I got a stonking deal the likes of which I can't quite believe. The alloys only have minor scratching too. £200 inc for those alloys and tyres I am well chuffed!

As for tax disc holder, I was thinking this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Renault-Clio-...605900383QQcategoryZ10410QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

:)

Caporegime
OP
Says in the auction:

THEY ARE 4X100 PCD SO WILL FIT MANY CARS SUCH AS

Renault

Avantime 90 to 98

Clio 1 1.2 to 1.8 90 to 98

Clio 1 16S & Williams 98>

Clio 2 1.2 to 1.8 99>

Clio 2 16V & 2.0 RS 99>

Kangoo 98>