1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

Just installed a 5850 - No display?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Oizu, 20 Oct 2009.

1. Oizu

Hitman

I've just installed a new ATi 5850, all seems to working ok, but i get no display, i have uninstalled my previous cards drivers (nvidia 880gt) so was using the onboard graphics, i just plugged my 8800gt back in and i get a picture but get nothing on new card, where am i going wrong? Thanks very much for any help on what must seem like novice issues to most of you!

2. Garyj881

Wise Guy

Have you tried the other dvi port on the card?

3. Oizu

Hitman

yes both, to no avail

4. blaineoliver

Hitman

Both power connectors?

5. Oizu

Hitman

both are plugged in, card appears to be working fine, as i say have disconnected card and reconnected old card to test out and works fine

6. Bradmax57

Soldato

how can the card be working fine if you have no picture? if you mean its just spinning up the fan might mean you have a DOA :( especially as you have tried the onboard and 8800gt which work, what psu are you using and what mobo?

7. Oizu

Hitman

MOBOs a pretty old ASUS P5LP-LE, PSU is a jeantec arctic 600W

8. Bradmax57

Soldato

might be worth checking to see if the mobo is compatible somehow, id question the jeantec psu tbh dont suppose you have anything else to try?

9. loki1975

Associate

I also upgraded to a 5850 and had the same issue, when running in the X16 slot (PCIE1 mobo), if i put this in the X4 slot it worked. Someone I worked with put it on a test rig (PCIE2 mobo) and could only get it to work on X4 and X8 but had no display on X16.

10. Mr Paul

Soldato

Can you try a different monitor?

11. Sindri

Hitman

Could you need to reflash the bios if it's pretty old?

12. dragy2k

Gangster

1st things 1st ....get rid of nvidias drivers then install atis drivers...and what OS are running ?
    also do you have a second monitor or tv connected to the pc ???

13. yoinkF

Gangster

Do you have a DVI to VGA adapter? If you do try plugging your monitor in using the VGA cable and see if that works.