Just moved and CPU overheating

Associate
Hi all,

So last week I moved out of my flat involving the PC being packed up and driven (carefully in my own car) to my new address.

So today I get round to unpacking it for a post move test run. Powers on fine but I notice the fans are spinning up very loudly. Go to check temps and CPU is at 70-80degrees idle on desktop.

Ive done the obvious thing of tightening the heatsink screws in case theyd come slightly loose.

CPU: 7700K
Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Any ideas/help appreciated!

Soldato
Could be either - I would remove the CPU block, run the AIO off a spare PSU or 9V battery, and see if it's making any funny noises (or dead).

Then repaste and reseat.

Associate
Sound advice already given above. One other thing to just double check is the power connector for the pump. Maybe the vibrations from the journey have dislodged it?
If fully in place; from cold boot and if you have enough time before temps go too high, try to launch Corsair Link to see what the unit is reporting back in terms of operating RPM and temp.

Soldato
Okau thanks for the advice. Will try reseating the block - will need to get some new thermal paste as I think Im out!

Will get back eith results soon
reapplying thermal paste is not neccessary in this case.
just leave the old paste on there, if that cures the problem, then you can look at fresh thermal paste.

old paste vs new paste would be (in my estimate) a max of 5C difference at idle, it will not knock 40C off.

I would be checking the pump in this case to make sure it is working properly.

As for those saying no air bubbles in an AIO, every single AIO I have had makes a swishing noise when moved around, this would not be possible if it were totally full.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom