Just passed... Now where to get a car?

Soldato
Overlag said:
then comes insurance. Is it possible for me to get a tempory insurance cover on my sisters or dads car, then transfer it to my car when i get one? Or in the case of my sisters car, change from 2nd driver to 1st driver + owner?

AFAIK:

You could be a named drive on someone elses policy but I'm sure you can't take out a policy on an already insured car. If you wanted to become first driver then really you should also take ownership of the car and inform the DVLA.
Best off finding a car and then insuring it in your own name straight off. Expensive but worth it in the end.

Soldato
OP
ok, a update.

today we went for a rather long drive around, first to gyln hopkin in romford to look at almerias....03 models mostly. That would be around £7000 + 1000 insurance. Also, this got my dad interested in a new primera for himself.....so they would be rather happy with us if i decided this route :p :D

then we went to Renault romford, some clios... exact same age as my sisters (53 reg) for £5500 (sister is selling for £4000ish) that would be £900 to insure.

Then finaly, www.fiestaworld.co.uk in grays, a mostly 02, 03 models 1.3lx, ranging from £4500 - £5500. these would cost about £800 to insure.

im thinking of going the fiesta route...another essex boy in a fiesta :o but it would leave about £1000 of savings for some ICE :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Overlag said:
first to gyln hopkin in romford to look at almerias....

Haha no way! I live right near there!

Nowt wrong with an essex boy and a fiesta! Dont get the 1.3 engined fiesta, apparantly slow/rubbish/<insert negative word>. The 1.25 16v is better in all respects apparantly.

Soldato
OP
Kappa said:
Haha no way! I live right near there!

Nowt wrong with an essex boy and a fiesta! Dont get the 1.3 engined fiesta, apparantly slow/rubbish/<insert negative word>. The 1.25 16v is better in all respects apparantly.

almost all of the 2003,04 cars i could see was 1.3s :o

my mate has basicaly said the same that the 1300s are rubbish, he has a lovely Fiesta ST :eek: slightly out of my range for a few decades :p ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you want a small car like a Fiesta or Clio?

The 1.3 engine in the Fiesta is dreadful. It really is - it's an ancient design with no power and it doesn't take mileage too well. I'd go for the 1.4 Fiesta over the 1.3 - it's a far better engine

The Clio is nice too, and, IMO, has a far nicer interior. I haven't driven the new Fiesta but I've never really liked them

If it was me I'd get a Focus or Astra for that kind of money. The Nissan Almera is just so dull

£6k would buy you an immaculate 2003 Astra 1.8 SRI, for example

Soldato
It's a nippy car, 0-60 in 8.5 seconds, so a fair bit faster than a 1.2 Clio/1.3 Fiesta

It does suprise me how expensive your quote is though - I could get insured on that for £1000 with a fault claim, no NCB and 21 years old

You could look at the 1.6 Astra SXI - only group 5 insurance

Back
Top Bottom