Just watched Gone in 60 Seconds....

Associate
I saw gone in 60 seconds at the cinema in the mid 70s, my mates Dad took us, we were a bit too young to appreciate anything but the crashes and chases, and that Ford Mustang (which Ive been in love with ever since).
Then many years later I caught it on TV to find it was mainly crashes and chases.

I think I remember reading the director who also starred in the film got killed in the sequal doing a stunt.

Soldato
I must admit that, despite it hardly being the best film ever created, Gone In 60 Seconds is possibly my favourite. I've lost count of the number of times I've watched it.

Apologies to those who don't like Nicholas Cage though. I'm really sorry that not everyone subscribes to your opinion. I will try harder next time :rolleyes:.

Soldato
I like nicholas cage, very, very good in 8mm IMO, also love his action films as they are as action films are supposed to be, fun.

In Face/off he is one of the coolest characters ever, i could handle being Castor Troy , seems like fun.

Associate
I think they shoulda let him be the bad guy in Face/Off, cause he does have that look of a complete maniac especially with his massive grin.

Man of Honour
Gone in 60 is great. I was amazed to find a lot of people slating it back then.... yes, it is a little cheesy in places, but certainly no worse than another of my favourites, Top Gun.

Plus Ms Jolie looks great as a blonde!

Man of Honour
Memphis said:
Apologies to those who don't like Nicholas Cage though. I'm really sorry that not everyone subscribes to your opinion. I will try harder next time :rolleyes:.
Don't think there was any need for that.

EasyG said:
I think they shoulda let him be the bad guy in Face/Off, cause he does have that look of a complete maniac especially with his massive grin.
Err, he was for the most part...
HangTime said:
Plus Ms Jolie looks great as a blonde!
H'oh yes!

Soldato
Gilly said:
Nicholas Cage is ace.

In the style of Nicholas Cage:

"You, couldnt, be, more...................... WRONG!"

You only have to watch 8mm and snake eyes to have your argument wearing lead boots and thrown in a particularly dirty canal.

Soldato
Face/Off --------------- OK
Matchstick Men--------------- Average.
The Family Man---------------an oh so very bland and "just make it out to N Cage and lets get it over with" phoned in performance from the man in question
8MM ----- ROFL! AWFULL!!
Gone in 60 Seconds------- Rubbish.
Con Air--------- The worst accent, and the worst hairdo, in movie history.
The Rock -------- Good film, apart from Nicholas Cage.

Pretty much sums up that lot.

Soldato
atpbx said:
Face/Off --------------- OK
Matchstick Men--------------- Average.
The Family Man---------------an oh so very bland and "just make it out to N Cage and lets get it over with" phoned in performance from the man in question
8MM ----- ROFL! AWFULL!!
Gone in 60 Seconds------- Rubbish.
Con Air--------- The worst accent, and the worst hairdo, in movie history.
The Rock -------- Good film, apart from Nicholas Cage.

Pretty much sums up that lot.
So what fire'n'forget action movie actors do you like?

Soldato
I love the way all these Nick Cage haters haven't even seen Adaptation. Oh well, your loss.

atpbx said:
In the style of Nicholas Cage:

"You, couldnt, be, more...................... WRONG!"

You only have to watch 8mm and snake eyes to have your argument wearing lead boots and thrown in a particularly dirty canal.

By that same argument, if a good actor does ANY bad films, he is, by extension a bad actor in general. Nice.

Soldato
Gilly said:
OMG thats soooo only you're wrong opinion tho!!

That is a completly inacurate statement Captain Grammer Nazi.
Come back when you have a factually correct riposte rather than the hastily thrown toghether dog vomit of a reply you have posted.

You big Gay.
;)

Soldato
NathanE said:
So what fire'n'forget action movie actors do you like?

Fire and forget action movies have to be decent, like anything else, when Nicholas cage makes a good film, i will problably like it, i dont like Nicholas cage films because he is in them, i dislike Nicholas cage films because the films i have seen him have have all been terrible, and he has been rubbish in them.

I dont like "fire and forget action movies" because they have a certain actor in them, indeed, some of the best action movies have some of the worst actors in the entire history of acting, and they have made some of the worst films of all time, observe:

Total Recall.
First Blood.
Robocop.
Bloodsport.
Blade.
Die Hard.
Predator.

All great action movies, but by the same token:

Hudson Hawk.
Commando.
Get Carter.
Rocky 3
Rocky 4
Cobra
Passenger 57
Blade 3
End of days.
etc etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Carzy said:
I love the way all these Nick Cage haters haven't even seen Adaptation. Oh well, your loss.

By that same argument, if a good actor does ANY bad films, he is, by extension a bad actor in general. Nice.
I've seen Adaption and I wouldn't say it blew my socks off but it's ok. Yes he plays two blindingly different characters, but one of them is just an even more boring version of himself and the other is a hyperactive version of himself.

I think he is a good "movie star" but I wouldn't say he is a good actor.

Soldato
Mr_L said:
I've seen Adaption and I wouldn't say it blew my socks off but it's ok. Yes he plays two blindingly different characters, but one of them is just an even more boring version of himself and the other is a hyperactive version of himself.

I think he is a good "movie star" but I wouldn't say he is a good actor.

Well the movie blew my socks off, and he is good in it.

What's the difference between a "movie star" and an actor?

Associate
atpbx said:
Fire and forget action movies have to be decent, like anything else, when Nicholas cage makes a good film, i will problably like it, i dont like Nicholas cage films because he is in them, i dislike Nicholas cage films because the films i have seen him have have all been terrible, and he has been rubbish in them.

I dont like "fire and forget action movies" because they have a certain actor in them, indeed, some of the best action movies have some of the worst actors in the entire history of acting, and they have made some of the worst films of all time, observe:

Total Recall.
First Blood.
Robocop.
Bloodsport.
Blade.
Die Hard.
Predator.

All great action movies, but by the same token:

Hudson Hawk.
Commando.
Get Carter.
Rocky 3
Rocky 4
Cobra
Passenger 57
Blade 3
End of days.
etc etc.

How can you say Commando is bad ? :mad:
It's ace.

Soldato
Gilly said:
Did you know he's related to Francis Ford Coppola?

Anyway, that doesn't mean he can act. Just look at Coppola's daughter in Godfather III :/

Anyway, I digress. That doesn't mean he can act, but these things do:

Face/Off
Matchstick Men
The Family Man
8MM
Gone in 60 Seconds
Con Air
The Rock

These films are good films. Even the action 'turn your brain off and cabbage for a couple of hours' are worth watching.

100% agreed on that, Gilly. I cant belive anyone could call him wooden. His performances in all of thsoe are fantastic. Some of my favourite films all have him in there somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom