1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Katie Hopkins Sacked

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by something daft already!!, 26 May 2017.

1. Chris Wilson

Soldato

I'd say MP's listening to a media figure in the UK with a million followers is an astute move, the liberals are always saying one should not turn a deaf ear to contrary opinions. Or know your enemy perhaps? BLM have widened Ms Hopkins audience substantially, probably confirming what she and others have been saying for a long time as sage and worthy of more attention.

One could look on the bright side and be pleased those you scream racist at have moved to a low view count echo chamber is another facet to this banning from Twitter

2. Tom_ed1987

Wise Guy

Assuming all the new Parler users had active twitter accounts, That's over 1% in just a few days - That's incredibly high in the social media landscape. Unprecedented even?

3. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Not really. How fast do you think Facebook and Twitter were whipping up users in their eras of peak growth? Parler is still a very small platform and will probably remain so; which mainstream figures are going to want and go and join the platform that has now painted itself as "Like Twitter, but for racists"?

4. Roar87

Soldato

No one on Parler really gives a **** if Stephen Fry doesn't join I don't think

5. Yadda

Mobster

If Parler is so great, why did Katie only switch when she was booted off Twitter?

Edit: wasn't "Gab" the favourite platform among the "free speech" types?

Last edited: 26 Jun 2020
  6. Roar87

Soldato

She has 177k followers on Parler, it's obviously not as big as Twitter and probably never will be, but it's not like they're mutually exclusive platforms.

7. Mr Jack

Capodecina

She had over a million followers on Twitter, and reached vastly more. There's really no doubt that going to Parler will have massively reduced her reach.

8. The_Abyss

Capodecina

It is handy, because now we all can tell where the racists and bigots are concentrated :)

9. Greebo

Caporegime

Well since one of the Tories who have joined there says its really a far right echo chamber and it needs some lefties to join to balance it up, sums it up perfectly for me.

And you can see the tripe she posts without signing up for it and posting yourself so that is a poor excuse.

10. GSXRMovistar

Sgarrista

I really am not a fan of her at all, but as you say she was spot on with that commentary.

11. McstylisT

Perma Banned

For clarity matt, I’m using an iPhone mainly these days. So no such luxury as keyboard when on here.

Also I am not in full support of her. Her attitude on the c19 was crazy, like it wasn’t real. I am the opposite. But on a fair few things she raises points, and asks questions many others are to afraid to do. Some of them I do agree with.

But free speech much be maintained for everyone. Banning her to me seems like the attempted closure of free speech because they didn’t like the message.

12. Greebo

Caporegime

There are rules though and she overstepped them several times and she was warned. But her only reason fro existence is to be as controversial as she can and she failed to tread that thin line. The only person who could have got away with what she said is Trump. But thats only cause he is POTUS.

13. Roar87

Soldato

You actually only need to press the capslock button once as well, silly Matt.

14. visibleman

Wise Guy

I guess it depends if the platforms are mind reading and publishing your thoughts without your permission and knowledge.

15. visibleman

Wise Guy

This isn't a free speech issue (free speech ≠ carte blanche) as she is completely free to use whatever media or platform to share and publish her opinions. It's a simple case of her breaking the rules, rules that she agreed to abide to when signing-up and using Twitter.

Last edited: 26 Jun 2020
  16. Jono8

Caporegime

Exactly

People really don't understand want free speech means.

The government are not censoring her.

Do people think its an infringement on their free speech that they can't mention competitors on here :confused:

17. cheesyboy

Capodecina

Lol at Parler's terms and conditions forcing users to indemnify the platform for any legal costs brought about by their posts :D

Looking forward to seeing this clause in action!

18. stockhausen

Capodecina

Maybe she will give you her number?
    I'm sure you two have a lot in common ;)

19. Dirk Diggler

Capodecina

Maybe there's a nice field in which they can "discuss things" :p

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=Katie+Hopkins+field

20. sityeuropa

Wise Guy

We live in an Internet age where instead of visiting public gatherings to hear someone speak we now only have to click Follow on a social media site. So if I am interested in what someone has to say why should it be made 10x harder to find where someone is speaking. It is not right in this day in age and it is a form of speech restriction.

21. Raikiri

Capodecina

She's still welcome to stand on a soapbox and be an absolute knob in some park somewhere, traveling to see her speak might be a bit more difficult than typing in a different web address though. 10x even.