Keep snapping Presta valve heads. Anyone converted to Schrader valve type?

Soldato
I've snapped a few too many heads this year and I'm getting really frustrated will the valves. Despite only opening it a little to reduce give, they're too flimsy!

I have a hybrid bike that has 700c x 35 tyres.

Has anyone experienced similar or drilled a hole to fit schrader valves?

Soldato
I've drilled a couple of rims out but only on mouldy old bikes I didn't care about. Being more careful would probably be a better bet;)

Soldato
I snapped a few Presta valves MTBing many years ago, so drilled out the rims. Went slowly and used a small file afterwards to get a decent finish. Haven't snapped one on a road bike though, even with mini-pumps that mount straight onto the valve without a hose.

Associate
You can still use presta even after drilling out the rim. Just use a decent presta rim tape to keep things snug.

Unless it was a carbon rim, drill away.

Also, take note high pressure vs high volume pumps may perform differently between each valve. But breaking valves is a real issue, pressure vs volume is merely a quality of life thing.

Soldato
I pulled off the pump and off came the valve with it!

That's normally from over tightening the valve screw. Some are factory tightened and sealed on more than others. Schwalbe are better than conti in that respect from what I've tried. Just don't tighten the screw as much and you won't have an issue. The tyre won't loose pressure any more than it would over tightening. In fact, it's less likely to loose pressure as there's no chance of damaging the seal.

Soldato
Dab of threadlock on the core of the valve if it’s removable.

Nothing worse than unscrewing the pump followed by the tube going instantly flat!

Soldato
Some presta valves have removable screw in valve cores, I've accidentally pulled them out when loose before (you can just screw them back in) but I've never snapped one.

2iSLNT3

https://flic.kr/p/2iSLNT3

I've bent the really thin bit attached to the nipple once before but bent it back reasonably straight and it was fine.

I pulled off the pump and off came the valve with it!

Are you sure you're actually snapping them and not just pulling the core out as Berger said?
if the core isn't screwed in fairly tight, some pumps can have a tenancy to take the core out with them when removing the pump head.

Also what tubes are you using? Ive found big brand ones like continental, Shwalbe etc. to be more reliable than the really cheap tubes in terms of rubber/build quality - maybe the valves in some cheaper ones are more prone to snapping when in the open position.

Ok they are twice the price or more but I've not had bother with them, so are cheaper in the long run. Although I've had continental tube before where the core wasn't screwed in very tight from new so worth checking it's nipped up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom