Keto/Low Carb Diet

Caporegime
Fiance has been Ketoing + One-Meal-A-Daying since September (barring a 2 week cruise in October).

She's lost 15kg and is looking good.

Her dinners tend to be a sort of tapas affair, with mixed nuts, various cheeses and meats, or bacon and eggs, and frying in coconut oil if needed. She will also do toasted sandwhiches with the Livlife bread you get from Waitrose/Ocado (do not confuse it with the LoveLife brand).
She also takes a fairly comprehensive list of vitamins and minerals as she is aware that limited fruit/veg make it all the more important, and schedules the supplements so that they complement eachother (she isn't just taking a single multivitamin).
She sometimes includes things from https://www.natural-low-carb-store.co.uk as their rolls, pork crunch and many of the meals are very nice.

Sadly, keto-breath is a thing, but this is a goal-orientated thing rather than a forever diet thankfully :p

Man of Honour
@doodah
Yep keto smell is a thing but it really depends how high your keto levels are.
It is helathy, even more so if you have metabolic syndrome YouTube volek and phinny the two who have researched keto the most.

Get your electrolytes in, as your insulin levels are low your body doesn't hold onto them. So it's important to salt food, and of you aren't eating a lot of green leafy stuff, which you should be. Then supplement with potassium and magnesium as well.
Other than keep it simple keep some snacks around and have some frozen meals ready for when you just can't be bothered.

If you watch several of the phinny/volek videos it will give you a great insight, there's a lot of bs on the net. Like the need to eat like 70+% fat. Keep carbs low, how low really is dependent on you and only way to find out is a blood ketone meter which are about £1 a strip so not cheap working it out. 20-25g will put anyone in to ketosis.
Make sure you get enough protein and then as much fat a should need not to be hungry. Which after a week will substantially decrease.
For the first week I wouldn't even care about calories just make sure you stay under carbs and hit your protein,your hunger should naturally decrease within a few days or so.

They have a lot of videos but here's one to look at.

Also remember in UK. Carbs on packaging are already net carbs. So non of this subtracting.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Did it for a while to shift some flab, pretty good in that you have to stick to it otherwise its pointless. Went from 19 st to 13(wasnt just keto, also did harcombe diet), got lazy and ballooned a bit now though so back in gym and just eating normally. :)

Associate
I'm looking into going to a LCHF/keto diet to drop some weight and it seems to be quite good for many people. The problem I got is the **** snacking during night shifts but I'm going to try change that by bringing various home made salads into work instead.

Caporegime
A few days in, seems fine so far though I think I have gone over slightly on my daily carb target. I am definitely peeing a lot! Had a slight slip up during the night, accidentally ate a whole bag of nuts (1600 calories :eek::o) during a resupply of water.

Man of Honour
nuts are deadly but god they are so tasty, so eas to eat entire bags. 1g of glycogen holds 3grams of water iirc, so yeah lots of water to get rid off.

here's a good video about health which covers things cholesterolstrol and saturated fat, if you need to show it to people who think its unhealthy.

Associate
Any diet that causes a decrease in calories to under maintenance will work for weight loss, doesn't necessarily have to be keto for example.

Caporegime
nuts are deadly but god they are so tasty, so eas to eat entire bags. 1g of glycogen holds 3grams of water iirc, so yeah lots of water to get rid off.

here's a good video about health which covers things cholesterolstrol and saturated fat, if you need to show it to people who think its unhealthy.

You're telling me. I didn't really eat that many nuts before keto, stocked up on them as a snack and I am like a crack addict. Even tried pistachios in the hope the extra effort would thwart me - nope. Think I will leave them for now. Almost three weeks in and it seems to be working; was 104kg in September, around 97.5kg now (started keto whilst ~99kg start of the year). I am still been gobsmacked where carbs can appears or not knowing something had so many in. I haven't noticed any drawbacks yet and would even say I feel less tired, it's helped me getting back into cooking as well.

Soldato
Got given a recipe for paleo/keto friendly banana pancakes, for the wifey.
Seems I'm better at the pan aspect of them, while she's more suited to the cake bit...

Associate
I've tried keto a few times. Being able to eat fatty/tasty food is great and weightloss comes relatively easiliy, but I've always had a hard time maintaining it as brain fog is challenging and no carbing when going on days out is difficult.

I prefer an intermittent fasting approach, where I eliminate snacks and only eat lunch and dinner.

Man of Honour
Brain fog is not normal on keto. The opposite occurs,mental clarity.
Not staying on long enough to allow the body to change or lack of electrolytes are the two most likely reasons.

And nice work @doodah

Soldato
I'm trying to diet at the moment actually.

It's been almost two weeks and I've gone from 76.5kg to 74.9kg so not a massive shift yet.

I'm swimming three times a week for 40 mins.

Diet is as follows:

Quaker oats with water, 1 whole and two egg whites mushrooms.

Two pieces of bread some branston pickle, salad and a chicken breast. Tomato and and an apple.

Stir Fry cooked with Fry light and a source of protein (salmon, steak, mackerel, chicken)

I will then eat a satsuma and some berries/strawberries.

Not sure my weight loss is fast enough so I decided to change some things. I'll probably switch to eating one piece of bread with my eggs in the morning. Oats make me feel so full.

My launch I'll drop the apple. And I'll drop the satsuma as well in the evening.

Two things stand out. A 5 a day veg consumption will just about be met I suppose. And my calcium? I have two cups of coffee and one tea per day. So I'm getting my milk from that.

What do people think? How can I improve it?

I'm 75kg and ideally want to be done to about 68kg as soon as possible.

Associate
I'm trying to diet at the moment actually.

It's been almost two weeks and I've gone from 76.5kg to 74.9kg so not a massive shift yet.

I'm swimming three times a week for 40 mins.

Diet is as follows:

Quaker oats with water, 1 whole and two egg whites mushrooms.

Two pieces of bread some branston pickle, salad and a chicken breast. Tomato and and an apple.

Stir Fry cooked with Fry light and a source of protein (salmon, steak, mackerel, chicken)

I will then eat a satsuma and some berries/strawberries.

Not sure my weight loss is fast enough so I decided to change some things. I'll probably switch to eating one piece of bread with my eggs in the morning. Oats make me feel so full.

My launch I'll drop the apple. And I'll drop the satsuma as well in the evening.

Two things stand out. A 5 a day veg consumption will just about be met I suppose. And my calcium? I have two cups of coffee and one tea per day. So I'm getting my milk from that.

What do people think? How can I improve it?

I'm 75kg and ideally want to be done to about 68kg as soon as possible.

Calories in vs calories out - eat less than your body burns and you'll lose weight. Diet is a personal thing as what works for me won't work for you but I'd imagine cutting out the branston pickle sandwich would be a good start and don't replace the oats with bread.

Man of Honour
Calories in vs calories out - eat less than your body burns and you'll lose weight. Diet is a personal thing as what works for me won't work for you but I'd imagine cutting out the branston pickle sandwich would be a good start and don't replace the oats with bread.
Old rehtoric which needs to die. As so many clinical studies shy. Although you are ultimately right. This ignores physiology totally. It ignores why we get fat, what happens to motabalism etc. It's a primary school response that would fail in even the most basic exam paper. It doesnt tell us the why or the how. For the overweight not just a few pounds you really need to start understanding hormone signalling or at least how to turn it to your advantage.

It's pretty useless advice. If you want to know why you are repeating a. Rehtoric that should have died years ago read Why we get fat

Last edited:
Soldato

if you had stuck to all the advice you have been given here over the years, after asking the same questions, you would probably be 75kg but absolutely shredded by now. Why keep asking for advice you are never going to follow? Do you get off on wasting other peoples time??

Soldato
Just started on a Keto diet to drop some weight. Finding it really easy to stick to my weekday lunchs were already almost zero carb and high fat so they dont need changing. Saturday night curry has changed to a Mix tandoori with salad.
Had my first meal out the other day and went for a double burger with bacon and cheese, swapped the chips for salad and binned the bread.

Today for instance, breakfast has been Bulletproof Coffee with 10ml MCT oil, 10g butter.
Lunch is a salad with spinach, kielbasa, pine nuts and olive oil/vinegar dressing.
Dinner is going to be pair of smoked kippers with butter and salad with avacado.

I do struggle to keep the protein in check but im keeping the carbs under 15g net per day.

Caporegime
Don't worry too much about protein, you need to be maintaining lean muscle mass any way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3fO5aTD6JU

I joined my missus from June in strict keto, got the Cronometer app to track all out activity and food, and finding it pretty fun, and definitely feeling the benefits of low carb (not that I need to lose weight).

I'm busy trying to perfect my keto-friendly ice cream recipe. I already have a great frozen custard one (100ml pot 440cal, 2 net carbs, 45g fat) but I am trying to replicate Wheyhey ice cream for a lower calorie treat when calories don't allow for full fat.

So far I have gotten it down to 140cal per 100ml pot, good flavour and decent texture (need to work on this) at a cost of 70p (Wheyhey is £1.05 per pot).

Back
Top Bottom