Khat to be banned

Associate

Bombing half a gram of that stuff with no previous experience is pretty hardcore to be honest. Sad story.

Its a shame some people have daft attitudes, often saying that people deserve to die from toying with drugs, but for many its just a part of growing up and experimenting. Users arent inherently evil.

The stigma with recreational drug use is unneccesary.

The whole system needs looking into globally.

Soldato
Shock as another relatively harmless drug is made illegal while two of the most damaging continue to be legal and widely used (tobacco and alcohol)

Banning Tobacco and Alcohol and coffee will hurt the economy. Banning pretty much all the rest won't. And may even have a positive effect

Soldato
This "war" on drugs is about as winnable as the war in the middle east is for us. Do what we do with alcohol and tobacco. Legalise, regulate and tax it as none of these drugs are going away. And no, I do not do drugs and wouldn't if they were legal (though I may have dabbled in my youth).

Associate
This "war" on drugs is about as winnable as the war in the middle east is for us. Do what we do with alcohol and tobacco. Legalise, regulate and tax it as none of these drugs are going away. And no, I do not do drugs and wouldn't if they were legal (though I may have dabbled in my youth).

That is a stupid argument, smoking and alcohol related illnesses cost us billions every year, why do you think the government and charities are trying to get people to stop smoking and drinking by putting the prices up ? Legalising will just encourage more people to take it up and will end up breaking the NHS.

Soldato
That is a stupid argument, smoking and alcohol related illnesses cost us billions every year, why do you think the government and charities are trying to get people to stop smoking and drinking by putting the prices up ? Legalising will just encourage more people to take it up and will end up breaking the NHS.

The Treasury earned £9.5 billion in revenue from tobacco duties in the financial year 2011-2012 (excluding VAT)

Research commissioned by ASH in 2010 has shown that the cost to the NHS of treating diseases caused by smoking is approximately £2.7 billion a year

Thats why the government ONLY spent 88 million on an anti smoking campaign.

if they ban tobacco expect everyones taxes to go up

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Isn't Khat the stuff that the Somali pirates were chewing, in the film Captain Phillips?

Soldato

Nothing that the government and law enforcement do will stop the sale of drugs so we may as well get tax off it. It lready costs us a fortune to police and treat but the amount we make in fines etc is a lot less than we could make from the tax that isn't paid on the sales currently.

Soldato
The Treasury earned £9.5 billion in revenue from tobacco duties in the financial year 2011-2012 (excluding VAT)

Research commissioned by ASH in 2010 has shown that the cost to the NHS of treating diseases caused by smoking is approximately £2.7 billion a year

Thats why the government ONLY spent 88 million on an anti smoking campaign.

if they ban tobacco expect everyones taxes to go up

It's worse than that when you add in how much money is saved on pensions, healthcare and social care on people who die early due to smoking.

The NHS spend far more on treating the natural ailments of old age than they do on smoking relating disease so someone who doesn't smoke and lives to 100 is likely to cost them more than someone who dies at 60 from lung cancer and that's before you consider how much the latter paid in extra taxes.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Banning Tobacco and Alcohol and coffee will hurt the economy. Banning pretty much all the rest won't. And may even have a positive effect

Except for the millions of tax revenue khat generates and the thousands of jobs it creates...

Putting the prices up increases tax revenue, so that would be one reason.

And considering alcohol and tobacco are the worst for causing long term expensive medical conditions, if people switched to other drugs, it would be a blessing on the NHS.

Last edited:
Soldato
Except for the millions of tax revenue khat generates and the thousands of jobs it creates...

Putting the prices up increases tax revenue, so that would be one reason.

And considering alcohol and tobacco are the worst for causing long term expensive medical conditions, if people switched to other drugs, it would be a blessing on the NHS.

Thousands of jobs?.....In this country?
Source?

Associate
Thousands of jobs?.....In this country?
Source?

Increased policing when crime will go up through crazed knife wielding attacks etc, extra nurses to deal with said back lash. Increased jobs in the ESA when all the plant diseases and foreign insects come over and start attacking our native forna etc etc plenty of jobs

Back
Top Bottom