Knees and squats

Associate
We'll have to agree to disagree then mate. Those 'things' are all known risk factors in patellofemoral maltracking AND chondromalacia patella (probable causes of clicking and/or grinding). In rehab for both problems (irrespetive of whether pain is present) exercises are used to correct the problem, but SPECIFIC exerises. I have plenty of research to support what I say and will gladly provide you with some references if you wish. Treating people with these kind of problems (which I do pretty much every day) is NOT as simple as giving everyone squats to do. If it was, then nobody would have these problms because they would ALL be doing squats!!

Edit: And I didn't say squats are the best exercise for any of the 'things' I mentioned - They aren't. Research using EMG analysis supports this (Although a variant of a static wall squat IS excellent for VMO.)

Last edited:
Associate
S7rider said:
team Physio 4TW, any jobs near you mate? ive just qualified and struggeling!
I feel for you mate, the junior job situation is about as bad as it gets at the minute. A few years ago the place i currently work at couldn attract any juniors at all. They ended up recruiting from overseas - india and sri lanka mostly. The last junior post we advertised though had 434 applications for it!!
Some newly qualified staff have resorted to applying for assisstants jobs, to get their foot in the door. My advice is apply to everywhere you would consider working, try locum agencies, ask private practices or maybe take a year or two off? Its a horrible situation because the work is there but the funding isn't. Hopefully the situation will improve sooner rather than later! Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom