"Knives for a pro..."

Soldato
droolinggimp said:
:D OOOOOO!!! I love to do a test with that and my stone and steel... 20mins on S&S and it WILL be sharper than the result of the blade sharpened with that thing...:D
You might actually want to try using one before you make unfounded statements like that.

Soldato
I have had both victorinox and global knives and have worked in kitchens, the global hold a fractionally better edge, but hardly noticeable and hte only reason i bought them was because they look a hell of a lot sexier in the kitchen than the victorinox's i used to use.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Jonny69 said:
If you can hold the knife and feel the quality of the steel the blade is made of it helps too.

Yeah, I might actually have to venture out into one of those shop things for a change. :D I'd certainly rather go and feel the weight and materials than just buy one over the internet on a recommendation.

Is there a standard length for a cook's knife, as I've seen quite a range between 20-30cm and bigger? I guess this again depends on personal preference so would no doubt benefit from a trip to the shops.

Anyway, Father Ted is on in 5 so I'll bid you goodnight, but I'll be checking back tomorrow. Cheers for the info so far.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Cybermyk said:
Stan, the higher quality the carbon steel blade the more likely you are to get rust spots. They can't add chromium and allow the same level of temper to the blade so it's a trade off. I would recommend brasso/duraglit to get rid of the odd rust spot and hand wash only then dry straight away to keep the knives in good condition. High maintenance I know but the knives are good :)
And don't leave them drying on a stainless steel sink or touching other cutlery.

Soldato
Phnom_Penh said:
You might actually want to try using one before you make unfounded statements like that.

What makes you think I havent tried one? I have used many a mechanical grinder/sharpener etc... None came close to the the method most butchers chefs use..

Dont get me wrong im not saying you dont know what your on about. Im sure you do but IMHO stone is better than anything else..In all my years and many other butchers years they have all said a stone is better..

For the information on the OP if he wanted a home knife set he would be best off using a stone and steel as its the best value for money and his blades will last a life time.. Grinders, good quality ones can cost a lot of money and not really suitable for home use..

I had a single knife for 6 years at one point and was as sharp as the day I got it new..

But in fairness grinders/sharpeners are good but not that good...

Soldato
Just out of interest what would you lot think is the best way to find out the sharpness of a blade.. Some say slicing a tomato into thin slices is the best way... I somewhat agree ..but im sure there is a better way of finding out...

Soldato
droolinggimp said:
Just out of interest what would you lot think is the best way to find out the sharpness of a blade.. Some say slicing a tomato into thin slices is the best way... I somewhat agree ..but im sure there is a better way of finding out...

Stab someone. :p ( I just find the best way is cutting a vegtable that you cut a lot and seeing how much easier it is, I cut silly amounts of onions and its nice when it is sharp. Farting about with bits of papers and going WATTCHAAA!!! on tomatos and other hapless garden produce just makes you look like a fool imho.)

You really only need two or three knives. A big one or two for general cuttery and a smaller one for farting about with. Then there is a bread knife but you can go to tesco and get one for a quid and it will cut bread fine if being a bit bendy. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
droolinggimp said:

I run a thumbnail along the blade to ensure there are no nics in the blade and I usually test with the pad of the thumb for a certain drag to the blade. I'll occasionally shave a little patch of my arm too just to be sure. That sounds weird now I've written it down :p

I don't think there is a definitive guide to sharpness but I'd like to know one if there is.

Last edited:
Associate
Whilst we are on the subject. I got a 30cm global chefs knife for xmas and my chopping board is now too small (the width of the board is just slightly bigger than my knife). So hopefully not hijacking too much can someone recommend any good sites for chopping boards. I ideally want a woodern board that is 60cmx60cm or around that size

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Thanks for the information about knife care. Some things I never knew :)

The Sabatier knives are with my parents now as I didn't take them with me when I moved.
My Dad has been both a butcher and a fish filleter so I'm sure he will be keeping them in much beter condition than I did.

I was taught how to sharpen them using stone and steel but no-one thought to explain about other aspects of knife care and I didn't know that good quality blades were more likely to rust. Every day's a school day :)

They were damn good knives - took a good edge and very comfortable to hold and use.

Stan :)

Soldato
I have to chime in here, hence my screen name, I am a Head chef of a country restaurant. I have £100's, perhaps coming up to a £1000 worth of knives in my box. They range from Very expensive henkel knives, gustav emil, Global, you name it. Each person gets a different feel for a knife, I personnaly dont like global, the balance I find is not right, but thats me, I have other chef's that love them. try a few for weight and balance and see what YOU like. as for sharpening, a good quality diamond steel and also a quality stone will see you right for years. Dont let other people use them and never cut or chop etc on metal as it of course ruins them. I also have cheap Victorinox knives, nothing wrong with them at all. great knives and very cheap and if you get a good edge on them, you can do some great work with them. Look after your knives and they will last years, I still have my set from catering college somewhere in my box.

As for someone mentioning chopping boards, well outside of the industry for buying one, Ikea sell some great thick solid wood boards that are well made for the money about £20 - £30 if i remember when i bought mine for home.

As for checking sharpness, well i use my thumb, sounds strange but you get a feel for what is right and what is not. You can, if you are learning sharpening, practise on a tomato skin, gently cut it, if it slices like a hot knife through butter on the skin of the tomato, then your pretty much on the right tracks.

please remember though, of course some of you will know this, but for those that dont, A sharp knife is a lot safer than a blunt one, as a blunt one you apply more pressure to what you are cutting, therefore a slip is more possible, resulting in accident, blood loss, pinky not with you anymore and trip to hospital after watching your finger pretending to be a fountain!!

keep your knives sharp. then if you do cut yourselves a nice sharp cut, heals a lot quicker!

Last edited:
Soldato
Spyderco has a range of kitchen knives at a decent price (check http://www.newgraham.com/spyderco_kitchen_knives.htm), I've never handled one, but going by the quality of the rest of the spyderco range you wont be disapointed. Frosts of sweeden also have a range of kitchen knives which I suspect will provide excellent value for money (see http://www.globus.co.uk/).
If you're going to go for global knives keep off evil bay, there's a lot of knock offs on there.

£50 really isn't that much for a good quality knife, I'd be looking for a single knife rather than a set for that much and if you're after something very specific and you can't find a production model that suits your needs contact a knife maker, custom knives don't need to be very expensive if you find the right maker and you're not too demanding yu could get an excellent quality blade for 50 quid

My name's Pyro and I'm a knifaholic :p

Soldato
Phnom_Penh said:
I have a sharpenset whetstone with a blade jig. Its a proper sharpener and cannot be argued with.

stonesharpenset3bs.jpg
My dad has the same sharpener, he has had it for years (he is a professional chef) and he sharpens all my kitchen knifes (Sabatiers) on it .

Soldato
robmiller said:
I think knives are a good idea. Big, ****-off shiny ones.

My whole perspective of you has just changed. You were quiet coding man with muchos useful knowledge about programming. Your now insane psycho quiet guy whos knows too much. :p

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Went out to Guildford today and tried a few out. I liked the look of the forged Victorinox ones online but couldn't find them anywhere where I could try one. In the end I went for the Global G4 Oriental Cook's Knife (18cm):

global.jpg

I also grabbed a whetstone, and a guard so that I sharpen it at the correct angle. Tried it out on a tomato when I got home; effortless! I'm quite pleased with it I must say. Thanks for the help people. :)

Man of Honour
Was going to recommend that exact knife. :D

Superb knife. Should only need to sharpen it once a week to be honest. Then only lightly as they do hold their edge extremely well.

Replaced all my Sabatier knives with Global now - so much more comfortable and nicer to use.

You may also want to look into getting a smaller knife as well - the 20th Anniverasy knife is a good one - http://www.theknifeshop.co.uk/shop/gs36a.htm Got 2 of them now as the other half likes using it too.

Simon/~Flibster

Associate
When using a whetstone or diamond steel remember that 20 is plenty and 40 is naughty.
MAC Knives have a bit of a buzz in our kitchen at the moment, will probably end up getting one or two. Still love the Shuns and the heavier Globals.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Flibster said:
You may also want to look into getting a smaller knife as well - the 20th Anniverasy knife is a good one

I was toying with getting one when I was in the shop, and could have a got a small set of three, but I'd already taken up half an hour of the lovely young lady's time asking inane questions just to get this one! If I get on with it I'll certainly be on the lookout for more in the range though, and that's exactly the type I'd be after.

Back
Top Bottom