"Knives for a pro..."

Soldato
gord said:
My whole perspective of you has just changed. You were quiet coding man with muchos useful knowledge about programming. Your now insane psycho quiet guy whos knows too much. :p

I'm not a psychopath I just like quoting from Lock Stock :o

Man of Honour
Lovely young lady eh?? ;)

It's well worth getting the smaller knife as well - wouldn't bother with the sets as there's always at least 1 knife you won't want in the set. You're best off buying the ones you want. :D

Simon/~Flibster

Associate
Nuff said on my taste ;)

spanker-P1010007.jpg

Soldato
having both Sabatier and Global, I like the Sabatier (as a totaly noob to knives etc) mainly because the Glabals a pain to sharpen once its blunt (they say use a ceramic steel, but it doesn't seem to work very well compaired the the Sabatier)

Man of Honour
VeNT said:
having both Sabatier and Global, I like the Sabatier (as a totaly noob to knives etc) mainly because the Glabals a pain to sharpen once its blunt (they say use a ceramic steel, but it doesn't seem to work very well compaired the the Sabatier)

I wouldn't use a steel at all tbh.
I'd go with stones instead - find them immensely easier to sharpen with.

Simon/~Flibster

Associate
I just got a new set of knives for my new house, Im no chef or anything but i was looking in TK Maxx and found a block of sabatier knives reduced from 240 to 40 quid i think. I'm happy with them and they do the job.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
VeNT said:
they say use a ceramic steel, but it doesn't seem to work very well compaired the the Sabatier

I was told in the shop that the European knives were better suited to a steel, and the Japanese ones to the whetstone. Maybe try a stone instead?

Associate
With the possible exception of a diamond steel a steel is only for keeping a sharp knife sharp not sharpening a blunt knife. I would use a good combination of medium and fine stones for sharpening a blunt knife.

Soldato
i hate the global knives personally, they irritate my hands after using for a while, however, i have a set of 5 shuns...... on this pic, i have 1,3,6 and 8, plus the boning knife (not pictured)
shunknifes.jpg

they cost me around £400, however, worth it to me as i'm a chef by trade and have been for the last 12 years, they are a pleasure to use, easy to maintain, a couple of strokes down the steel and they are sharp again, very comfortable having an ergonomic 'D' shaped grip (sort of) and very stylish, they get my vote anytime.

Last edited:
Soldato
BeaumonT said:
I just got a new set of knives for my new house, Im no chef or anything but i was looking in TK Maxx and found a block of sabatier knives reduced from 240 to 40 quid i think. I'm happy with them and they do the job.
was actually going to suggest TK maxx, they do usually have a good range of cooking utensils, and the 2 local ones to me always seem to have a block of sabatiers which look ok.

Man of Honour
Lion Sabatier are the best knives for your money. Perfectly balanced. We sell them in our shop (Lame cookware shop :o ). Quite expensive but atm they're down to £100 for 5 piece with block. Make sure you buy a sharpening steel to go with whatever you get, NOT an automatic electric sharpener or any of these dual grinding jobbies.

Man of Honour
Zefan said:
Lion Sabatier are the best knives for your money. Perfectly balanced. We sell them in our shop (Lame cookware shop :o ). Quite expensive but atm they're down to £100 for 5 piece with block. Make sure you buy a sharpening steel to go with whatever you get, NOT an automatic electric sharpener or any of these dual grinding jobbies.

Depends which dual wheel sharpener you buy...

Most are complete crap tbh - however the Minosharp ones are superb if you don't want to learn how to sharpen knives properly with a stone. :D

There's 2 types...
Minosharp - for use with Global knives only
Minosharp Plus - for use on any knife other than Global

When I'm persuaded to help the parents out - I'll use them on their knives. 30 seconds and the knife is a hell of a lot better than it was. :D

Simon/~Flibster

Soldato
Stones for the win!

Be carfull when your sharpening knives as well, i managed to slip with a perfectly sharp boneing knife caught my knuckle and now i have a really messed up knuckle! happened on one of our buisiest saturday nights! So never sharpen them when your in a rush.
And dont ever let other people use your knives we have a chef who has a tendency to cut off the chopping board! muppet! So he's only gonna be using the cheap sheffield ones

Back
Top Bottom