"Knives for a pro..."

Soldato
suicidle_tramp said:
:) Thanks wez, do you mind if I add you to msn, incase I have any question about catering, i'm starting my nvq in catering after college :D

sure, no problem, wez'at'hotmail dot co dot uk, however, due to being in catering, i don't get on msn too much ;)

Associate
I found that the Kitchen Devils Professional range is very good for the home cook, don't know wether they would cut the mustard in a professional kitchen though, and to keep them sharp I use the kitchen devils ceramic roller sharpener, I find the blades keep a very good sharp edge and have so far lasted me many years without any issues.

Soldato
Has anyone got any, or used any, Wusthof Classic knives?

I'm trying to find the ones with the red badge on the blade, but all the ones I've seen are just black. If Ramsay uses them, they must be good...either that or they're bundling him a few quid. :p

Associate
Bigstan said:
Apparently the top-of-the-range Sabatier knives are quite good.

Unfortunately I bought a bottom-of-the-range set and was disappointed :( - good sharp knives and comfy grips but tended to have rust spots (poor quality stainless steel) - I can only assume the dearer ones are made from better steel.

Stan :)

My mum has a good set of these, and ours have never had rust spots and always hold the edge for a decent time, you can't leave them in the sink, you should wipe the blade clean using a damp cloth and dry it straight away. It came with a sharpening 'stick' and it works pretty well; don't need a proper whetstone to get it razor sharp again.

Soldato
netby said:
If you find them in UK try these Tramontina

they are made in Brazil,and their quality/price ratio is great( due to the workmanship in Brazil is so cheap and the value of the brazilian money)
but quality of the steel is on pair with the european :D

http://www.tramontina.com.br/home/index.aspx?language=1
WTF this thread is over a year old lol, did you look all the way throgh to the end of GD page 956? :/

Soldato
Bigstan said:
I didn't know that good quality blades were more likely to rust. Every day's a school day :)

Stan :)

This is the high carbon content which makes it more reactive and leads to rust. However as said keeping it dry when not in use is all you need to do. You can also rub in a small amount of cooking oil too before putting it away [just clean it off before you use it]

This is how I look after my Frosts Mora outdoors knife.

There is a big advantage to having a high-carbon steel blade. Sharpening is a doddle! The metal is softer than stainless-steel so will take an edge quicker [of course it loses it quicker but takes little effort to get it back].

In the kitchen this is probably not a big deal, but when out "in the field" so to speak, you don't always have the luxury of a full-size grind stone and steel. I use various grades of wet and dry sandpaper to sharpen mine when not at home. Gets a wicked edge too! [Had fun shaving my arm with it :p]

Back
Top Bottom