Kodi ban in UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Soldato
Isn't it a ban on fully loaded boxes. The ones that are obviously being sold to stream copyrighted material.

Also I thought there was an EU ruling that viewing streamed content was legal as you weren't downloading or sharing

Don
But is it legal to download ripped files?

Never has been legal to download "ripped files".

If you mean to rip content yourself e.g. blurays you legally own, then I believe the answer is still technically no (as despite "format shifting" having been made legal for a while, it was appealed and overturned). Realistically though format shifting for personal use is unlikely to matter.

Associate
Isn't it a ban on fully loaded boxes. The ones that are obviously being sold to stream copyrighted material.

Also I thought there was an EU ruling that viewing streamed content was legal as you weren't downloading or sharing

Pretty sure there was a EU ruling yesterday which made streaming content illegal going forwards. Original argument was along the lines that streaming only creates a small temporary file on the streamers device which then gets deleted, so couldn't count as an illegal download. However they have now said that the process of streaming the content itself is what is illegal, not the downloading of it.

Heres a Link (apologise its from the Mail...) - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...rt-rules-fully-loaded-Kodi-boxes-illegal.html

Permabanned
Last edited:
Soldato
77million streams on the GoT season premiere, crazy; https://torrentfreak.com/game-of-thrones-season-7-premiere-pirated-90-million-times-170721/

You can bet your behind that studios/creators are taking Kodi seriously. There's a lot of work going on in the background to fight it. The Digital Economy Act is only part of that.

Oh no does this mean I need to erase the 10 Amazon fire sticks I set up for my work colleagues.:p
Yes, see above ;) Anyone supplying fully loaded Kodi boxes/Fire sticks is going to be hunted down and have the book thrown at them.

Associate
^ That.

I'm guessing another rebranding is in Kodi's future now all these prats have made their nice media centre software synonymous with piracy and illegal ****.

Permabanned
^ That.

I'm guessing another re branding is in Kodi's future now all these prats have made their nice media center software synonymous with piracy and illegal ****.
yes, this is how the world evolves. First there was popcorn time which was re branded with the name of Kodi. lets see what kodi will become, its basically the same idea with different names.

Associate
Meh, once again they see people wanting to watch live sports / tv / movies as a "problem" that they need to solve through banning. They haven't yet realised that one of the main reasons people do this is because they want a convenient and affordable way of consuming said content but that isn't available. I'd quite happily pay a subscription to be able to view all my football team's games. But I won't pay for Sky Sports / BT Sport because they show so few games I'm interested in, so it's a waste of money. I'd happily pay to watch current films in the comfort of my own home. I happily pay for Sky's entertainment packages, Netflix and Amazon Prime and enjoy the content they provide.

All this does is push more people onto VPNs. Are the Premier League going to force ISPs to throttle all VPN traffic while matches are on?

Soldato
Associate
About streaming my parents were a bit surprised that we in UK can't see any game we want to see. In Sweden the Swedish Premier League football matches have scheduled matches shown on tv, but you can buy any other match as a "pay per view" as well. So for example, on Saturday 6pm they would show IFK Gothenburg-Orebro SK live on the tv, but you support AIK and would like to see them play against BK Hacken you can buy that match separately on the providers webservice and watch it on your tv.

What also frustrates me about the streaming and copyright things is how could I legally follow for example swedish football and ice hockey when living in UK as no tv stations here would ever think or want to get the rights for those. And as living abroad I can't get a contract with the swedish providers either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom