Kolink Void help

Associate
As a birthday present to my 12 year old nephew, I came up with the idea to transfer his PC into a new flashy case. I am not worried about thermals, as aesthetics is all he will care about and this seems to tick the right boxes and budget.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/kolink-void-rgb-midi-tower-case-black-window-ca-04l-kk.html

My only lingering doubt is whether the RGB strips and fan in the case will connect to the old motherboard in his current PC, as I assume it needs to get its power from the motherboard. I am kicking myself as I can't remember what the motherboard was and don't want to ask him directly.

The CPU is a i7-2600k, so I know it is an ATX LGA1155 socket motherboard.

I am assuming the RGB fan will require a 4-pin connector on the motherboard, but what about the RGB strip on the front? Is it a safe bet that most LGA1155 motherboards will have what I need to ensure the case lights work?

Many thanks for any advice

Associate
A bit late for the op, but just for the record if anyone needs to know, and is reading this....

You only need a spare sata power connector, and to make sure the argb on the rear case fan is daisy chained to the argb on the front panel. It will work with a 5v argb controller MB connection/ dedicated Argb controller but it's NOT needed to make it all light up. note it's not compatable with earlier 12v rgb controlled lighting, so don't try pluging it in to an earlier MB if you aren't sure.

The case has a very basic controller built into the front panel. Just cycle the small button next to the power switch and it will go though quite a nice preset selection of colours and moving patterns.

For the price of the case the Infinity mirror led effect is very good.

Although it does make the the top 2 front fan mounts next to useless :) and don't talk to me about the HHD mountings

Last edited:
Associate
OP
A bit late for the op, but just for the record if anyone needs to know, and is reading this....

You only need a spare sata power connector, and to make sure the argb on the rear case fan is daisy chained to the argb on the front panel. It will work with a 5v argb controller MB connection/ dedicated Argb controller but it's NOT needed to make it all light up. note it's not compatable with earlier 12v rgb controlled lighting, so don't try pluging it in to an earlier MB if you aren't sure.

The case has a very basic controller built into the front panel. Just cycle the small button next to the power switch and it will go though quite a nice preset selection of colours and moving patterns.

For the price of the case the Infinity mirror led effect is very good.

Although it does make the the top 2 front fan mounts next to useless :) and don't talk to me about the HHD mountings

Thanks for the clarification. You are actually spot on. I didn't need to worry about connecting the RGB to the motherboard at all. The void came with the fan already daisy chained to the front RGB section which housed its own hub. I just had to connect the sata power cable and everything worked fine. A button on the front of the case allows my nephew to switch the RGB settings which he was most please to see.

Back
Top Bottom