Korean and Import Monitor Discussion - an update

Man of Honour
We have had a blanket rule in place for over a year now which disallowed all talk of Korean and other Import monitors. This was introduced because in the past, every such post broke out into price discussion, competitor linking/mentioning and other associated rule breaks. We had to blanket ban discussion since people could not be trusted to follow the basic forum rules.

We are prepared to give everyone another chance though to behave responsibly and not spoil things for everyone. I've agreed with the rest of the mod team to allow discussion of these screens again in the monitors section. This is on condition that:

• conversations remain about the technical and performance aspects of the screens
  • there is NO price discussion relating to these models
  • no competitor hinting, linking or discussion, including where you can get said monitors on eBay or from other sources

Hopefully everyone agrees this is a sensible move as we'd like to see more open discussion about all monitors here. As long as people can adhere to the rules and don't abuse them, continued discussion of Korean/Import monitors will be allowed. if people start to break the rules again, discussion will have to be banned again, for good.

I'm hoping everyone can excercise some common sense and prove me right that I reckon the good folk in monitors can be trusted to behave :)

thanks

Associate
good news, I was looking over at the overclock.net forums about these monitors etc.

a lot of them mention about Qnix/X-Star etc.

I'm wary of warranty dealings, It's probably a case of if the monitor goes wrong within the 12 month warranty period you may as well bin it. As sending it back to south korea would just cost too much.

Permabanned
I would ask you consider stocking them too in future to help move on the market. It is not right when the most advanced panels out there are not sold on OCUK. Sure they have problems with gamma linked to overclocking but if LG and all are going to be so stale at 60hertz it is inevitable people will want Korean monitors.

Plus Overlord are in the pipeline with gsync too and that would be impossible to keep quiet.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
i dont work for the shop, but you may want to drop a note through the customer service section perhaps. I believe gibbo has looked into stocking them before, but there are probably issues with doing so.

Not sure i agree around them being "the most advanced panels out there" though. They all make a lot of bold claims and boast great specs on paper, but a lot of it they don't even live up to. From all the Korean models i've used and tested, i've not been that impressed to be totally honest.

Soldato
i dont work for the shop, but you may want to drop a note through the customer service section perhaps. I believe gibbo has looked into stocking them before, but there are probably issues with doing so.

Not sure i agree around them being "the most advanced panels out there" though. They all make a lot of bold claims and boast great specs on paper, but a lot of it they don't even live up to. From all the Korean models i've used and tested, i've not been that impressed to be totally honest.

Its more about price, lets be honest. People like bargains, even if the hardware is a bit dodgy. I would like 1440p\ 4K\ 29 superwide for a good price, not £300-£500+ uk prices. Would deffo be interested if Ocuk could get some cheap Korean monitors in. :D

Associate
Some food for thought:

Why do you guys reckon so few big retailers stock them? My semi-educated guess: because there are quality, warranty and/or import issues. If everything was so rosy, there would surely be more suppliers.

Of course, if it would be possible for the retailer to dictate that the customer would have to handle the defect/return/replacement/warranty issues directly with the manufacturer, there would certainly be more retailers willing to stock them. Alas, the law doesn't bend to that direction.

Soldato
As much as I love my Qnix, I wouldnt recommend it to anyone.
Warranty is such a PITA its not even worth trying :o

Had mine around 3 months before it just stopped working, contacted the seller and all they were willing to do was get it repaired once it gets there. Biggest problem is postage cost back to the seller, Ive looked around and looked hard, and they all cost circa £100.

Tried purchasing a new power brick which didnt fix the issue, also bought a new display board with no luck, then one night before calling it quits, I plugged it in for the first time in half a year, and it just started working. Rocking it now with a 750Ti :D

Caporegime
Responses from a couple of years ago.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=21699595&postcount=530

Hi there

We've looked into Yamakasi and Shimian in Korea, but are failing to get any response from either manufacturer, infact searching for either company on google gives very poor results.

Even though this entire thread is a complete breach of OcUK rules, as its full of competitor talk I shall continue to leave it for now.

Unless we can get a direct response from the manufacturer, we won't be selling this product as we won't buy from another reseller who is overseas on monitors as the after support, warranty will just be more or less none existent and far too much hassle.

From judging by what I've read online, good support on these would be crucial as the quality seems questionable, though the value is for sure unbeatable, but as a reseller we need a direct relationship with the manufacturer with good after support and warranty so that we can knowingly swap them out for customers with zero hassle.

I may be able to obtain PC Bank and Crossover models though, but no promises.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=21699898&postcount=533

Were leaving it because right now were not willing to sell these due to them basically having no warranty.

As shipping faulty panels back to Korea is not an option, so any faulty ones we sold or took back, we'd essentially have to skip them or try to repair, all of which is very expensive.

As were an Etailor we can't just sell them with no warranty at a crazy cheap price like Ebay sellers are.

As such were happy to leave for now as some people are willing to take the risk of having no warranty essentially, but at the same time the value is very good if you get a working one.

But like I say I am in discussions to see what is possible.

OcUK would also have to pay/charge all the appropriate taxes significantly increasing the prices.

Man of Honour
I would ask you consider stocking them too in future to help move on the market. It is not right when the most advanced panels out there are not sold on OCUK. Sure they have problems with gamma linked to overclocking but if LG and all are going to be so stale at 60hertz it is inevitable people will want Korean monitors.

Plus Overlord are in the pipeline with gsync too and that would be impossible to keep quiet.

While some are good for desktop stuff >60Hz the ones I've seen so far aren't even close to the clarity in motion and responsiveness of a proper gaming 120+Hz panel and pretty hit and miss if they work >60Hz reliably to.

Associate
I have a qnix2710 its good for general use but for gaming its absolutely terrible,
some games aren't too bad but for fps it becomes a blurry mess and gives me bad headaches.
I'm thinking of going back to a tn panel its that bad.

Soldato
I have a qnix2710 its good for general use but for gaming its absolutely terrible,
some games aren't too bad but for fps it becomes a blurry mess and gives me bad headaches.
I'm thinking of going back to a tn panel its that bad.

Have you clocked it? I agree it can be blurry at 60Hz but once its 90Hz and above its no longer noticable. I play mainly FPS's on it.

Man of Honour
What would people say the chances of getting a 85hz~ screen without dropping frames are?

Based on another forum about 1 in 3 of the panels will do atleast ~90-96Hz without frame dropping or artifacts.

But I can't agree with the post above from what I've seen (which is somewhat limited experience) most of the panels I've seen aren't even close to a proper gaming 120+Hz panel for clarity in motion not at 60Hz, not at 90Hz, not at 120Hz. They are good if you want a smooth responsive desktop experience without being limited to 60Hz and without having to go to TN quality or for casual gaming but for fast paced FPS gaming I've yet to see one that isn't wanting.

(This is something I've put a little time into investigating as 120+Hz is important to me and currently the somewhat holy grail would be a 2560x 120Hz panel that had the responsiveness and clarity in motion of the better gaming 120+Hz TNs and the image quality of the better IPS panels).

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a qnix qx2710 and would say it is the perfect monitor (for me). IPS/PLS panel with a high enough resolution for multitasking in windows whilst not being utterly impossible to run games at. I can't really say that I agree with the complaints that it isn't good for fast paced FPS games, maybe at a world championship competitive level it might affect you but I do very well in bf3 and never feel like my monitor is holding me back.

What would people say the chances of getting a 85hz~ screen without dropping frames are?

Never heard of a qx2710 or dp2710 not overclocking beyond 96hz. I think I few don't quite make 110hz but they are in the minority. Make sure ypu get the DVI only one with no osd.
You can get a guaranteed over clocked but these carry a heft price premium (up to 50% more).

The added smoothness of high refresh rates is really nice in windows and games but it takes a lot of horsepower to drive it.

Soldato
debating between one of these or a Hazro atm.

as long as its not blurry for things like bf4 im not bothered about the 120hz i have a cheap benQ 24" 60hz 1080p atm so i doubt it would be loads worse than this.

Back
Top Bottom