Kryonaut abrasive??

Associate
Thanks to Beany Bot for reminding me about this thread. Just installed a new 3900X with some Kyronaught I purchased this week, when applying it, it was very hard to spread even after leaving the packet in freshly boiled water.

As someone previously said, it was like spreading peanut butter and kept coming away with the spatula. I eventually got most of the IHS covered, but it looked very patchy. I’m hoping with the pressure/heat from the cooler that it will even itself out.

Reading this thread I’m sure my tube should be okay, or do you think I should remove and reapply the paste, I have a larger tube coming from elsewhere? I don’t have any experience with Kyronaught, but I have read it can be tricky to apply, so this maybe normal.

Associate
OP
I didn't realise how much attention this thread had gained! I contacted Thermal Grizzly when this happened (ages ago now), but I never got a reply and just had to "put up with it" in the end and just ended up thinking nothing would be done about it.

I still have the original tube of Kryonaut paste that I only used once, and then went back to using good old tried and tested Arctic MX-4.

Did anyone get anywhere in regards to compensation or replacement parts? I ended up selling the processor recently as "fully working, but marked/scratched" . I still have the Matterhorn cooler though and want to use it with my new Ryzen chip... And it still has the ugly damage from the Kryonaut paste :/

Last edited:
Associate
I didn't realise how much attention this thread had gained! I contacted Thermal Grizzly when this happened (ages ago now), but I never got a reply and just had to "put up with it" in the end and just ended up thinking nothing would be done about it.

I still have the original tube of Kryonaut paste that I only used once, and then went back to using good old tried and tested Arctic MX-4.

Did anyone get anywhere in regards to compensation or replacement parts? I ended up selling the processor recently as "fully working, but marked/scratched" . I still have the Matterhorn cooler though and want to use it with my new Ryzen chip... And it still has the ugly damage from the Kryonaut paste :/
You're 'patient zero'! Fingers crossed Thermal Grizzly make good on their promise to sort out those affected by the bad batch of Kryonaut, including yourself.

I've personally not had any problems with Kryonaut thus far, but there's always a chance that there's still old stock from the dodgy batch lurking around a vendor's warehouse somewhere.

Associate
OP
Thought I'd give this thread an update.

I messaged Thermal Grizzly again regarding the bad batch of thermal paste from 2018 (small quantity I believe)... I got a reply a little while ago and they offered me compensation in the form of a new cooler up to the value of 100 euros and also some extra cash compensation through PayPal.

I can confirm I received a nice shiny new Noctua NH-U12A cooler that I'd picked (which is brilliant btw) and also a very generous amount of Kryonaut thermal paste... Two large tubes of it in fact, which should last me a long time! I also received some extra compensation through PayPal.

I have to give them credit where it's due for their great customer service. I really wasn't expecting the compensation they offered... It was a pleasant surprise. I was also told that apparently Roman himself had sent out the package :).

They didn't have to compensate me and I'm sure plenty of other companies would have just swept something like this under the rug, but these guys really are great and I'm very grateful.

Cheers :)

Associate

I messaged Thermal Grizzly again regarding the bad batch of thermal paste from 2018 (small quantity I believe)... I got a reply a little while ago and they offered me compensation in the form of a new cooler up to the value of 100 euros and also some extra cash compensation through PayPal.

I can confirm I received a nice shiny new Noctua NH-U12A cooler that I'd picked (which is brilliant btw) and also a very generous amount of Kryonaut thermal paste... Two large tubes of it in fact, which should last me a long time! I also received some extra compensation through PayPal.

I have to give them credit where it's due for their great customer service. I really wasn't expecting the compensation they offered... It was a pleasant surprise. I was also told that apparently Roman himself had sent out the package :).

They didn't have to compensate me and I'm sure plenty of other companies would have just swept something like this under the rug, but these guys really are great and I'm very grateful.

Nice result!

Soldato

That is great! Good result!!

Soldato
Just recently finished my tube of this and will be buying more in future after seeing this. Great to see them being so generous in sorting the issue with their bad batch.

Only yesterday I recommended buying some to two guys at work too. :)

Associate

thanks for the update. That was good of them. I will continue to buy their products. I want some of that carbonaut thermal pads for my 3600.

Soldato
Used Kryonaut various times in different systems for maybe a couple of years. But this morning was the first time I removed a heatsink (my own) with that paste in use (since February this year when I received a new Noctua NH-D15S). The heatsink base was badly scratched on three sides. And the scratches on the CPU's IHS look like very tiny black marks.

Don't have a good camera on hand but scoured this thread to look at pics and it's at least on par with the damage to Scrublet's heatsink in post 30 after just 6 months.

Not going to bother letting Thermal Grizzly know as am aware they already know of the widespread issue. But won't be using it again in a hurry.

Used some Noctua NT-H1 paste this time around and temps were about the same after two R20 benchmarks with each paste within half an hour. Two cores a couple of degrees cooler with the Noctua (maybe the talked about pump-out effect over several months with the Kryonaut, or simply a better spread or slight ambient temp variation). Other two cores the same. Margin of error stuff really.

Soldato
Used Kryonaut various times in different systems for maybe a couple of years. But this morning was the first time I removed a heatsink (my own) with that paste in use (since February this year when I received a new Noctua NH-D15S). The heatsink base was badly scratched on three sides. And the scratches on the CPU's IHS look like very tiny black marks.

Don't have a good camera on hand but scoured this thread to look at pics and it's at least on par with the damage to Scrublet's heatsink in post 30 after just 6 months.

Not going to bother letting Thermal Grizzly know as am aware they already know of the widespread issue. But won't be using it again in a hurry.

Used some Noctua NT-H1 paste this time around and temps were about the same after two R20 benchmarks with each paste within half an hour. Two cores a couple of degrees cooler with the Noctua (maybe the talked about pump-out effect over several months with the Kryonaut, or simply a better spread or slight ambient temp variation). Other two cores the same. Margin of error stuff really.

I’ve seen the same with my cpus using a variation of different pastes before. I think it’s just to do with the IHS not being perfectly flat and the high clamping pressure between the cooler and IHS especially when using a mirror surfaced cooler or block they mark easily.

Associate
I got an arctic 34 esports duo cooler from OcUK recently and was impressed for £30. I used kyronaut. CPU temps are low less than 40C but the dual fans need to spin at between 1200 and the max of 2100 rpm. This shifts a lot of air but is starting to get noticeable in noise. I am unsure whether kyronaut is much better than any other paste in terms of thermals. The artic cooling 33 duo is a great cooler though for £30.

Last edited:
Associate
It seems OC still have defective stock as I bought some a week ago and experimenting with different orientation of my cpu cooler i found it had scratched my cpu and cpu water block.
Several deep scratches. I had to sand the cpu and water block to remove them.
So as a glutton for punishment i tried again and exactly the same happened.
That Kryonaut tube is £20 wasted (For me) I am in no way suggesting it is all at risk.

Soldato
It seems OC still have defective stock as I bought some a week ago and experimenting with different orientation of my cpu cooler i found it had scratched my cpu and cpu water block.
Several deep scratches. I had to sand the cpu and water block to remove them.
So as a glutton for punishment i tried again and exactly the same happened.
That Kryonaut tube is £20 wasted (For me) I am in no way suggesting it is all at risk.

I would raise this with OCUK also.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom