Lady GaGa featuring Beyonce: Telephone

Soldato
Can i have some examples of non Generic musicians please?

Alanis Morisette
Alexi Murdoch
Al Stewart
Barclay James Harvest
Beth Orton
Billy Bragg
Blur
Camel
Dire Straits
Eric Clapton
Fleetwood Mac
Jimi Hendrix
John Lennon
Kate Rusby
KT Tunstall
Madness
Ocean Colour Scene
Pink Floyd
Rainbow
R.E.M.
Simon & Garfunkel
Stereophonics
The Clash
The Doors
The Eagles
The Eels
The Housemartins

I could go on 'till the cows come home...

Soldato
Typical Jonas Akerlund video - all style and shock value*.

Also, the amount of product placement is overpowering - and I'm not talking about the pixellated 'product' near the beginning ;)

I admire LG for her self-marketing savvy; she's clearly shrewd and driven. Very much like Madonna in her early days, in fact. Her music isn't my cup of tea, though, and she looks a little too much like Marilyn Manson for my liking :D

And I've never given Beyonce a second glance until this video. Love the blunt fringe, girl - rowr!

* Prodge's Smack My Bitch Up, Rammstein's Pussy etc etc...

Soldato
Alanis Morisette
Alexi Murdoch
Al Stewart
Barclay James Harvest
Beth Orton
Billy Bragg
Blur
Camel
Dire Straits
Eric Clapton
Fleetwood Mac
Jimi Hendrix
John Lennon
Kate Rusby
KT Tunstall
Madness
Ocean Colour Scene
Pink Floyd
Rainbow
R.E.M.
Simon & Garfunkel
Stereophonics
The Clash
The Doors
The Eagles
The Eels
The Housemartins

I could go on 'till the cows come home...

Pray tell, what makes Lada Gaga "generic"?

Soldato
Because her oversynthed autotuned rubbish is just as bad as the next big stars oversynthed autotuned rubbish.

And no, this isn't an age thing. I'm 15. I understand taste, some people like certain things. But there's a line, and stuff like this is just plain bad music.

Soldato
Will you miss her or even notice when she's gone?

That's what makes her generic. Easily replaced by the next 'kooky' popstar and no one will bat an eyelid.

So your answer to an objective question is to ask a subjective one and hope no one notices?

I honestly couldn't say if I would miss her if she were gone; I'm not a huge fan of her music. But if you want to go down that route then nearly all of the artists on the list of the poster I quoted have little to no impact on my life.

I would argue that she's not generic because her music is different enough and her image/persona divisive enough for us to be having this discussion in the first place...

Soldato
Because her oversynthed autotuned rubbish is just as bad as the next big stars oversynthed autotuned rubbish.

And no, this isn't an age thing. I'm 15. I understand taste, some people like certain things. But there's a line, and stuff like this is just plain bad music.

Auto-tuned? What? Is this even an argument you can level at an artist any more? It's estimated that over 85% of songs you hear have had some kind of automated pitching adjustment placed on the vocals. That's across all genres of music containing artists who are signed to major labels.

I understand taste too; I don't listen to any chart music at all. Hell, if I didn't work in HMV then I probably couldn't care less about Lady Gaga but I've heard her songs and I've heard her talent for writing an undeniably catchy tune.

Back
Top Bottom