Lady GaGa featuring Beyonce: Telephone

Soldato
Auto-tuned? What? Is this even an argument you can level at an artist any more? It's estimated that over 85% of songs you hear have had some kind of automated pitching adjustment placed on the vocals. That's across all genres of music containing artists who are signed to major labels.

I understand taste too; I don't listen to any chart music at all. Hell, if I didn't work in HMV then I probably couldn't care less about Lady Gaga but I've heard her songs and I've heard her talent for writing an undeniably catchy tune.

85% of songs i hear? I think not. I often prefer a live, uncut version of a song to the studio version anyway.

Caporegime
TBF, my favourite artists sound exactly the same live as they do on a studio release, showing a lack of auto-tune on their tracks.

This.

As for Lady Gaga herself....I couldn't care less. I've only heard that Pokerface song and it's insanely irritating. I'm sure she'll disappear in 2-4 years like all the usual current big things.

Soldato
85% of songs i hear? I think not. I often prefer a live, uncut version of a song to the studio version anyway.
You'd be surprised - Autotune isn't just used for the obvious warbling special effect. It can be used subtly.

So maybe not 85% of the music you choose to listen to, but I'll wager it's passed you by on some recordings. Even 'live' ones.

Caporegime
I wouldn't be suprised if 85% of music out there used it, a good 85% of new music is utter crap put out by generic boy/girl bands or solo pop artists/dodgey dance singing.

You see the likes of Madonna who couldn't hit a note live to save her life, countless MTV awards shows and things with her performing live that are just cringeworthy.

AFAIK autotune is frequently used to hide bad singing and can be used live also to a certain degree.

Lada Gaga is an embarassement, her songs are complete rubbish in terms of lyrics and her "look" is clearly not her own. Just some record label that said how about we make this next pop chick a wacky dresser. She wears something different and stupid every day, its just designers going nuts and having a manaquin to wear them in public.

Beyonce is looking worse and worse, and videophone was truly embarassing, telephone wasn't as bad a video, but equally terrible music.

Caporegime
Will you miss her or even notice when she's gone?

That's what makes her generic. Easily replaced by the next 'kooky' popstar and no one will bat an eyelid.

TBh you could shoot every single one of these people/bands in the face and I wouldn't miss them or care* :p

Alanis Morisette
Alexi Murdoch
Al Stewart
Barclay James Harvest
Beth Orton
Billy Bragg
Blur
Camel
Dire Straits
Eric Clapton
Fleetwood Mac
Jimi Hendrix
John Lennon
Kate Rusby
KT Tunstall
Madness
Ocean Colour Scene
Pink Floyd
Rainbow
R.E.M.
Simon & Garfunkel
Stereophonics
The Clash
The Doors
The Eagles
The Eels
The Housemartins

I could go on 'till the cows come home...

*aside from the fact they'd probably cancel the F1 to cover the mass slaughter of musicians. :(

Man of Honour
Well it's marginally less irritating as a song than the videophone one and that's about the best I can say for it - are they intending to do a full series on everyday consumer goods now? Or are they leading us through methods of communication from new to old; Lady Gaga Ft Beyonce - Write Me A Letter (sponsored by Royal Mail and Hallmark) then maybe Lady Gaga Ft Beyonce - Smoke Signals (sponsored by Zippo, British American Tobacco and Persian carpets)?

Bah, it's just plain rubbish and the heavy product placement is annoying. If only they stick to their promise at the end of the video and never come back I'll be happy.

Soldato
Lada Gaga is an embarassement, her songs are complete rubbish in terms of lyrics and her "look" is clearly not her own. Just some record label that said how about we make this next pop chick a wacky dresser. She wears something different and stupid every day, its just designers going nuts and having a manaquin to wear them in public.

Her 'look' clearly is her own. She started off as a Christina Aguilera clone and changed her whole image on the same album with the Paparazzi video and the rest of it. Interviews with her also show all of this is her idea.

I really like her personally and she's going to be around for a long time.

Associate
the legs, the legs!

article-1257443-08AFD9D0000005DC-969_634x415.jpg

Soldato
I don't care what anyone says about Lady Gaga but she deserves all that she's getting atm as she worked hard to get it... It's just real life isn't it?

Least she writes most/if not all of her stuff and I've never seen her mime. If it's not your taste then don't comment. There are plenty of 'underground' acts out there that I'm sure would 'sell out' if they got offered a record deal with a major label.

Caporegime
Her 'look' clearly is her own. She started off as a Christina Aguilera clone and changed her whole image on the same album with the Paparazzi video and the rest of it. Interviews with her also show all of this is her idea.

I really like her personally and she's going to be around for a long time.

Her look is clearly her own, except someone makes everything for her, random utter crap, any designer can make utterly retarded clothes that are completely out of the norm, she's FAR from the first person to randomly wear utter crap and call it style. Just no ones done it in a while, because the last few people that did it were just nuts and people got bored of them.

If YOU really wanted to you could go out wearing the same stuff she does, you'd be 1 in a billion and you'd get a lot of attention, but thats as deep as Lady Gaga goes. Videophone, Telephone, I assume the next two songs will be Blackberry and Ipad.

Dress her normally, on stage live singing the same tosh and people would be bored in minutes. Unfortunately the mass music fans out there are superficial idiots who only care about the fame and popularity of the person, not what/how they sing.

Writing a couple catchy jingles doesn't make for a good songwriter or musician.

She also constantly lies in her interviews, randomly going through, "I'm barking mad" to, "i'm completely normal", to "i'd die if my fans saw me dressed normally".

Recently she did an interview saying everyone in the industry hates her, she doesn't speak to people and she was completely ignored at whatever the latest award show was, even though theres pictures of her talking to people all night long and other people talking about how they spoke with her and really liked her. She simply lies to keep up this strange image because its selling to people that can't be bothered to look deeper than the image.

For me she's the epitome of every last thing thats wrong with current crap pop music. THe only more embarassing thing is that people like JLS, whose music is like dodgey gay boy bands from 20 years ago, utterly talentless, awful music, and yet successful, if anything they prove popularity and success is nothing to do with talent or music, but about image.

Soldato
Her look is clearly her own, except someone makes everything for her, random utter crap, any designer can make utterly retarded clothes that are completely out of the norm, she's FAR from the first person to randomly wear utter crap and call it style. Just no ones done it in a while, because the last few people that did it were just nuts and people got bored of them.

If YOU really wanted to you could go out wearing the same stuff she does, you'd be 1 in a billion and you'd get a lot of attention, but thats as deep as Lady Gaga goes. Videophone, Telephone, I assume the next two songs will be Blackberry and Ipad.

Dress her normally, on stage live singing the same tosh and people would be bored in minutes. Unfortunately the mass music fans out there are superficial idiots who only care about the fame and popularity of the person, not what/how they sing.

She also constantly lies in her interviews, randomly going through, "I'm barking mad" to, "i'm completely normal", to "i'd die if my fans saw me dressed normally".

Recently she did an interview saying everyone in the industry hates her, she doesn't speak to people and she was completely ignored at whatever the latest award show was, even though theres pictures of her talking to people all night long and other people talking about how they spoke with her and really liked her. She simply lies to keep up this strange image because its selling to people that can't be bothered to look deeper than the image.

For me she's the epitome of every last thing thats wrong with current crap pop music. THe only more embarassing thing is that people like JLS, whose music is like dodgey gay boy bands from 20 years ago, utterly talentless, awful music, and yet successful, if anything they prove popularity and success is nothing to do with talent or music, but about image.

hater :D

Soldato
OP

I still would though ;)

Associate
She's very shrewd, and knows how to work the media, and she'll just get better at it with time. In that respect, she reminds me of Madonna - very business oriented. She will be around for a while I think, because she'll know how to reinvent herself to keep herself relevent to the typically fickle teeny audience. When her current look stops getting headline attention, she will reinvent herself and adopt a normal look, and say how with this new album she's matured both musically and spiritually etc etc.

She also reminds me of Grace Jones, in how she packages herself. Deliberately oddball. Although Grace was genuine.

Last edited:
Associate

That is exactly what the pop industry is about. You 'buy' into the image the record labels create, the music is a secondary factor. Whats important is who the new big thing is, not who has the best single. Image is what sells, and if they've got a catchy tune to go along with it (preferably without deep lyrics about love, has to be about teen crushes or infatuation) then that's just icing.

Back
Top Bottom